• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate/Eastern New York

3 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I'm pretty sure the SREFS are based on the WRF extended models. NMM and ARW. They're terrible, just like the ICON. If you click on this and go to right middle part of page you can select model cores. NMM/ARW

https://www.spc.noaa.gov/exper/sref/srefplumes/

Thanks! Yeah, they are bad. I’ve learned the hard way, over the years, to mainly trust the big 3-4 operational models. Especially in the mid range. 

Just now, rochesterdave said:

Thanks! Yeah, they are bad. I’ve learned the hard way, over the years, to mainly trust the big 3-4 operational models. Especially in the mid range. 

Euro and GFS Ensembles for anything beyond day 5. Within 1-4 days and combo of Euro/UK/GFS/GEM. Avoid NAM and RGEM until within 48 hours, unless lake effect snow.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Of course it would, its 9 days out. That's what model watching is all about.

Most global models are generally a P.O.S. Outside of 5 days.  Which is a big improvement over 20 years ago. Not sure what the limitations of accuracy will evolve to in our lifetime.

• Like 1

Man what a waste of a decent amount of QPF during last night's lake effect band because it sat over me I'd have to imagine for a good five six maybe seven hours even if it's still a half inch an hour we'd have four or five inches right now but no it snowed grauple and rain mixed because we hovered around 36 just horrific for December 14th

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

• Sad 1

I'm sure none of us forget about the 24 to 36 hour trend right before any event would come crawling up either the coast or like this one a Miller b so the chances are definitely there for us to get at least a few to several inches I'm not talking about the amounts down in Southeast New York and Northwest Jersey and in Northeast PA but it should be plowable I'm hoping because ratios should be very high like many have alluded to. Remember just like the rain snow line races into Central New York it does the exact same thing in the mouth of the Hudson as the warm air off the ocean just inundates the whole area and it's very easy for the coastal regions or even for the storm to come a little bit more northwest for that reason but we'll see I'm definitely optimistic still for something! If this would have happened it would almost save a putrid December

I also got to say I really can't pinpoint any model that has done better than the other now if we want to pick the GFS as scoring a coup on this one I don't know if that's possible yet because what about if this thing does come northwest quite a bit but the GFS has been Southeast all along so that's the model that has been wrong consistently basically so we wait and see and yes blizz today is going to be a very important day for model watches, lol!

• Like 1

3" in Caz. overnight.

I think there is still some sorting out in model land to be had.

Safe to say this will not be a total whiff for points South and East of an Ithica/Syracuse/Utica line,  as had been  depicted by several models at one time or another.  Decreasing lead times and the trend over the last couple runs leads me to believe that we are at least going to have a minor to moderate impact from this storm in CNY and points SE.  WNY should sneak out an inch or two, imo, att.

• Like 2

3" in Caz. overnight.
 Safe to say this will not be a total whiff for points South and East of an Ithica/Syracuse/Utica line,  as had been  depicted by several models at one time or another.  Decreasing lead times and the trend over the last couple runs leads me to believe that we are at least going to have a minor to moderate impact from this storm in CNY and points SE.  WNY should sneak out an inch or two, imo, att.
I'm definitely in ur camp George!

6 minutes ago, LakeEffectKing said:

3" in Caz. overnight.

If the euro output is right it would have .2” of liquid equivalent over KBUF with temps in the 20’s a ratio of 15 to 1 would equate to almost 4”. Now that’s not a big deal in all accounts, however, the NWS says an inch for the Buffalo-Syracuse line...high confidence. KBUF has never been hyped about this.