• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate/Eastern New York

3 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

Details vary run to run of course but December looks lost for us.  I’m actually hoping we get a super mild winter.  If I can’t get a decent December (around here) the rest of the winter becomes mostly uninteresting.  We are due for a long run of below normal snowfall just by reversion to mean, compared to the last decade or two.  And that’s ok by me.

I'm the same way. December is my favorite winter month, followed by January. Feb/March are usually lame as Erie is frozen. So if we lose rest of December we got 30 days left of winter. Synoptic just doesn't do it for me.

15 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I'm the same way. December is my favorite winter month, followed by January. Feb/March are usually lame as Erie is frozen. So if we lose rest of December we got 30 days left of winter. Synoptic just doesn't do it for me.

.LONG TERM /FRIDAY THROUGH MONDAY/...
Dry weather expected Friday and Saturday as surface high pressure
moves in behind the exiting coastal storm. Temperatures will begin
to warm up as a southerly flow increases ahead of an approaching
cold front. Chances for rain and snow showers increase Saturday
night into Monday as the cold front crosses the region. Only a brief
period of cold air advection occurs behind the front before a
southerly flow takes over and mild temperatures begin the work week.

Thank god. Let’s get some 50s in here!

2 minutes ago, CNY-LES FREAK said:

Its like pulling teeth just to drop below freezing, its absolutely maddening because if it was cold enough, I'd have a couple inches by now easy but no I have graupel falling in the middle of December!

I know! I have been thinking the same thing! We finally get some lake influence and it HANGS above freezing. 

1 hour ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Hopefully we see a pattern change for Jan.

April and May were the only months below normal this year. Every other month was substantially warmer. I thought La Ninas were not as warm as El Ninos were for our area? Or is it just global warming is taking over any ENSO state?

Jan +8.1

Feb +3.1

March +7.3

April -2.5

May -.9

June +.8

July +6.5

August +3.9

Sep +2.2

Oct +1.0

Nov +5.8

Dec +4.0

That squares with my impression. "Winter" was super warm and uneventful, but then spring was cool, which really just meant it was about 50 degrees from March through mid-May. I'd strongly prefer the opposite.

Give me 5 degrees below normal in March, then 5 degrees above normal in April/May/June.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Can we have the 12Z run of the NAM back please? 00Z = meh.

Give it up. This storm is a non event here.  So is December. And with any luck Jan and Feb.  Let’s go Low!  But then again, I’m looking at retiring in Portugal so don’t mind me. ;)

6 minutes ago, Thinksnow18 said:

It’s subtle but the 00z GFS has a broader snow shield over WNY and has 7+ inch snows near the letchworth area. Even Buffalo on this tin would be 2-4”...small victories 

0Z GFS basically scoots the wave out to sea with barely Warning criteria snow up to SNE coast and LI.  Mainly a mid Atlantic snowstorm from eastern WVA up to CPA and interior NJ.  It showed this look a few runs back IIRC.  Would suck for our Catskills friends...

The really odd look is how the central southern tier of NY jackpots a bit. Which almost never happens. It’s like a photographic negative of a typical synoptic snowstorm distribution. ;)

6 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

0Z GFS basically scoots the wave out to sea with barely Warning criteria snow up to SNE coast and LI.  Mainly a mid Atlantic snowstorm from eastern WVA up to CPA and interior NJ.  It showed this look a few runs back IIRC.  Would suck for our Catskills friends...

The really odd look is how the central southern tier of NY jackpots a bit. Which almost never happens. It’s like a photographic negative of a typical synoptic snowstorm distribution. ;)

Yeah that is the snow hole of NY...In 2020 anything is on the table 

• Haha 1