Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
MO/KS/AR/OK 2020-2021 "Winter" Discussion

JoMo

28 minutes ago, JoMo said:

Wouldn't really make a difference, the storm system just wraps up too far west on the GFS. It needs to be more of an open positive tilted trough until it gets south of us, then it can wrap up. Anything else and the warm air is going to probably overwhelm the cold air sitting in place. 

Good point. I didn't even think about where it would wrap up. The 12z Canadian shows a scenario where it wraps up across Oklahoma (500 mb level) and brings warm air into much of the region. Ice and snow storm for central and western Kansas. A small step toward the GFS, for sure. 

Yeah, I remember one year a big Arctic front dropped through, so cold air was available but the models were showing strong cyclogenesis across Montana or something with a strong approaching system. People were thinking that was crazy because there's no way the cold air could be scoured out that quickly, but the cold air quickly melted away under strong southerly flow. It got up into like the 60's after being in the teens the morning before. Sucks. 

• Sad 1

The difference between the 12z Canadian and Euro appears to be what it does with a piece of energy sliding down from the north. At hour 96 it's located over WY on the GEM and SD on the Euro. The Euro closes it off, while the GEM drives this piece of energy south and it gets absorbed into the trough. From there we get the closed low solution it shows with the ice and snow. The Euro closes something off around the same place as the GEM at 126 (southern OK) but then it's never really allowed to develop because of the northern energy it keeps around. I'm sure the Euro ensemble members that have snow are probably developing the more southern low. 

• Like 3

Just now, StormChazer said:

00ZGFS did seem to inch more towards a solution between the12Z Euro and 12Z Canadian.

The last few runs continue to shift back towards the west.  Not sure anyone cares much about the ICON but it splits the difference between the CMC and the GFS and runs the snow up through Eastern OK/NW AR.  

1 minute ago, The Waterboy said:

The last few runs continue to shift back towards the west.  Not sure anyone cares much about the ICON but it splits the difference between the CMC and the GFS and runs the snow up through Eastern OK/NW AR.  

I'll take these westward nudges with a closed off low. Slow and steady. Canadian running right now. On hr 33.

16 minutes ago, The Waterboy said:

If that were to happen verbatim (which we can assume it won’t) we’re talking about catastrophic results in a lot of places.  Absolutely insane.  My backyard shows .75+ of fz rain, 5+ inches of sleet, and 3+ inches of snow.  Wow!   
And JoMo gets a foot of snow.  

Yeah, these kinds of crazy model runs are the ones that only verify once a lifetime, but I've been in 5 inches of sleet before, and let me tell you, the roads are impassable for nearly a week.