Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
MO/KS/AR/OK 2020-2021 "Winter" Discussion

JoMo

1 hour ago, StormChazer said:

Can someone more meteorologically inclined than myself answer this question?

If this system drops 4-5 inches of snow to the NE of Tulsa in a line parallel to the front, can that snowpack actually push the freezing line forward the next day further than if it didn’t snow?

Generally, if the snowpack falls over a wide area, it can act as a refrigerant (lack of a better phrase here) to lock in the cold airmass. In this instance, the winds are coming from the south and there will be intense theta-e advection over the cold, which may actually enhance the potential for icing. 

• Thanks 1

Looks like model initializations were all over the place on the 00z suite of runs. It is interesting to note that the 06z HRRR (48 hrs) was among the colder of the models, with a larger area of sleet and snow. 

Will be something to follow today as that could significantly ratchet up snow totals for western Oklahoma into Kansas. 

3 minutes ago, Wx 24/7 said:

Did you get much ice yesterday? I have friends up near Osborne who lost vehicle windshields due to falling limbs. They were out of power for a while. 

Probably two tenths, temps hovered around 30 all day. But this one will be different, predictions are near half inch ice and up to 6 inches snow.

It is interesting to note that the short-term models (granted, they're still just coming into their respective time domains) do not have the system as far west as the ECMWF, GFS, ICON models. Just a slight nudge east. 

Will be interesting to see if that trend continues as the system gets into better focus for the high-res models. 

Just a few flurries here now. Well I get to cross off snow before Christmas, snow during daytime, and big huge flakes from my seasonal wishlist. Just need a storm over 6" and one over 9-12" and I'm good for the season. Accumulation here was about 1/2" or so this morning, now starting to melt now that it isn't snowing. Sun angle is low though so it was able to accumulate when it was coming down pretty hard.

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Tulsa OK
1019 AM CST Wed Dec 30 2020

OKZ057-058-060>067-310000-
/O.NEW.KTSA.WW.Y.0010.201230T1619Z-201231T0000Z/
Craig-Ottawa-Tulsa-Rogers-Mayes-Delaware-Creek-Okfuskee-Okmulgee-
Wagoner-
Including the cities of Vinita, Miami, Tulsa, Claremore, Pryor,
Grove, Jay, Sapulpa, Okemah, Okmulgee, and Wagoner
1019 AM CST Wed Dec 30 2020

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 PM CST THIS
EVENING...

* WHAT...Snow. Additional snow accumulations of up to one inch.

* WHERE...Portions of east central and northeast Oklahoma.

* WHEN...Until 6 PM CST this evening.

* IMPACTS...Plan on slippery road conditions in heavier snow bands.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...
  • Like 1