• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
MO/KS/AR/OK 2020-2021 "Winter" Discussion

JoMo

Local tv met this morning claiming that we will be getting rain this weekend with a few flakes of snow mixed in, especially in NW AR. :facepalm:It's not the storm of the century, but come on. Maybe not much accumulation here but looks like there will be plenty of flakes flying unless I am missing something.

8 minutes ago, Wx 24/7 said:

Local tv met this morning claiming that we will be getting rain this weekend with a few flakes of snow mixed in, especially in NW AR. :facepalm:It's not the storm of the century, but come on. Maybe not much accumulation here but looks like there will be plenty of flakes flying unless I am missing something.

Interesting.   Good to see you back Wx.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Wx 24/7 said:

I think all the local Mets are playing this really really safe. After 7 years of bust after bust after bust, they’re just not going to jump with confidence on this stuff. They’d rather be surprised than get people’s hopes up.

11 minutes ago, The Waterboy said:

Yep, one of the TV’s mets last night had accumulations of a dusting to 5 inches.  

They typically don’t want to predict accumulation totals until it’s literally falling from the sky. 

All I care about is that we end the 7 year drought.     

Yup, Mike Collier had that as his prediction here in Tulsa. Talk about a range haha.

4 hours ago, MoWeatherguy said:

I see Springfield changed their tune about snow for SW MO.  WWA there now.

I have a feeling we are going to see some snow from this one man!! It all looks good, I am a bit concerned with temps though. Dan Skoff was thinking the 1-2" thing is being low, he was saying he feels like this could drop 3-6" here in our area! Man I tell ya what I will be happy with even 2" after the stupid snow drought we have had in this place in 7 years lol. Here is to hoping, maybe get something Tuesday also who knows...bit early for that still

4 minutes ago, NwWhiteOut said:

I have a feeling we are going to see some snow from this one man!! It all looks good, I am a bit concerned with temps though. Dan Skoff was thinking the 1-2" thing is being low, he was saying he feels like this could drop 3-6" here in our area! Man I tell ya what I will be happy with even 2" after the stupid snow drought we have had in this place in 7 years lol. Here is to hoping, maybe get something Tuesday also who knows...bit early for that still

Hey man,  been waiting on u to pop in.  Dan Skoff did seem to want to go bonkers with a forecast but the last 7 yrs have him gun shy, for good reason.   Like you,  I'd be ecstatic just to see the ground covered.   But I don't know.  These models,  man.

9 minutes ago, NwWhiteOut said:

You still in Fayetteville?

34 minutes ago, MoWeatherguy said:

You still in Fayetteville?

Yep still here lol, probably until retirement age I'm sure. Im ready for the country though. Tell me about it with models, non stop changes haha. I will wait to see what happens tomorrow, if it starts snowing good and sticking I am heading to a lil camp spot to have a fire and cookout...just relax and enjoy the stuff cause who knows when it will happen again ya know lol. Hope you're well man!!

7 minutes ago, westhope84 said:

On Tulsa NWS’ Decision Support Page, they show Tulsa receiving 0.9” of snowfall tomorrow. I guess they must think temps are too marginal and are being quite conservative. Wouldn’t be surprised if this is updated soon. 

Yeah, I mean, I trust a pro's opinions over my model obsessing. But even still, that seems just incredibly conservative. I'm sure it'll update. 

My guess is they say 3 inches, and stop there, if Tulsa gets just 1 or 2, not that far off the mark, and same goes for 4 or 5.

• Like 1

As I mentioned in my other post I think the best way to determine the precip accumulations taking into account for melting will be to take the 10:1 parameter and half it. The Kuchera Ratio also looks somewhat accurate to getting the real totals.

Also regarding the thundersnow potential, I also do recall an event similar to this back on March 28th, 2009. I was living in Tulsa and we had a thundersnow event that day. It was just above freezing and had heavy wet flakes as a result. Got 9" in a few hours that melted to about 5" at sundown.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, stormdragonwx said:

As I mentioned in my other post I think the best way to determine the precip accumulations taking into account for melting will be to take the 10:1 parameter and half it. The Kuchera Ratio also looks somewhat accurate to getting the real totals.

Also regarding the thundersnow potential, I also do recall an event similar to this back on March 28th, 2009. I was living in Tulsa and we had a thundersnow event that day. It was just above freezing and had heavy wet flakes as a result. Got 9" in a few hours that melted to about 5" at sundown.

I remember this event well. Incredible rates and enormous wet flakes. It was a beautiful snow that coated everything, but it was also an incredible disappearing act!