Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
MO/KS/AR/OK 2020-2021 "Winter" Discussion

JoMo

5 minutes ago, StormChazer said:

These are the storms I prefer. Not a bomb modeled 7 days out, only to diminish in the last 72 hours, but one that creeps up, and seemingly out of nowhere 3 days out to be a nice surprise.

Quantity over Quality? I just want snow, doesn't have to stick, just some good mood snow before Christmas, but the marginal temp profile worries me, plus the possibility that it could always trend north as time goes on due to lack of cold air.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, JoMo said:

Quantity over Quality? I just want snow, doesn't have to stick, just some good mood snow before Christmas, but the marginal temp profile worries me, plus the possibility that it could always trend north as time goes on due to lack of cold air.

Agreed, although anything that can survive that day should solidly freeze that night(before melting Mon).

Is this a thick airmass or shallow? That'll help determine how well the models are handling the cold air.

5 minutes ago, StormChazer said:

Agreed, although anything that can survive that day should solidly freeze that night(before melting Mon).

Is this a thick airmass or shallow? That'll help determine how well the models are handling the cold air.

According to the 12z GFS....Surface is very marginal. 925 MB temps are around 0 to -2 C with surface temps hovering around freezing or just above. 850's and 700's look good so no mixed precip issues it looks like. The 12z NAM is colder though with 925 MB temps around -3 or -4 C. 

So looks like we're going to depend on some 'dynamic cooling' from the lift and precip rates to cool the surface to around freezing.

Tulsa AFD this afternoon:

Precip type will be dictated by temperatures profiles in the
lowest levels as temps aloft will be well cold enough for all
snow. Strong lift and a well saturated dendritic growth zone would
favor a corridor of heavier snow potential, however lack of
preceding cold air and timing of day would favor much less
potential. Ensemble data also show low potential of sufficiently
cold low level temps so precip rate will be instrumental in
realizing any heavier totals across NE OK. Elevated roadways and
grassy surfaces are most likely to see accumulations and impacts
are likely to remain low assuming low level temps remain near or
just above freezing.

The NAM may be good at picking out the max potential for snowfall within the heaviest band, but it is definitely the northeastern outlier in placement of the band compared to the other models. Euro/GFS ensembles are further south and west with the swath of snow. NAM may still be a bit out of its range at this point and I'd trust the other models more on placement for now. It's always very tricky forecasting these mesoscale snow bands. Models usually shift around in placement even within 12 hours. Expect more changes but right now areas across northwest OK/southern KS are favored for accumulations due to colder temperatures. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MUWX said:

I love when snow misses me to the south 

haha, well just remember that the snow in Nebraska tomorrow was supposed to be in E KS and it crept north. Of course, knowing our luck, the next round will creep south.

I love snow and winter weather, but retrospectively I actually really dislike it. All the potholes snow/ice create around here are abysmal... Omaha can keep their darn impossible snowfall forecast.

Jokes aside, i'm not sure whether to be optimistic or pessimistic about the chances of a light dusting of snow on Saturday morning here in KC... Most of it would likely fall after I get up out of bed, so it'd be at least some form of entertainment for a bit. But thinking temps might *still* be to warm to definitively say we would get a snow p-type versus light rain.