Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
MO/KS/AR/OK 2020-2021 "Winter" Discussion

JoMo

48 minutes ago, JoMo said:

Lot of snow falling out of the sky on the 12z NAM. E OK and NW AR are the big winners.

I actually have a pretty good feeling about seeing some falling snow out of this one.  As somebody mentioned earlier this is not some big wound up system that normally screws us at the last minute.   It's more of a wave coming thru that we typically see in Nina yrs.  Hope I'm not wrong. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MoWeatherguy said:

I actually have a pretty good feeling about seeing some falling snow out of this one.  As somebody mentioned earlier this is not some big wound up system that normally screws us at the last minute.   It's more of a wave coming thru that we typically see in Nina yrs.  Hope I'm not wrong. 

I'm really worried about temps. 850's came in a bit warmer. Also surface temps are going to hang above freezing, there appears to be a cold enough layer at 925 MB though, assuming the 850's stay below freezing (down there)

This is also based on the lift being shown on the NAM panning out. Temps drop a few degrees under the precip shield. If the precip shield is weaker due to not as much lift/dynamic cooling than the model anticipates then it could wind up as more of a rain/snow mix, and maybe rain. 

NAM, NAM 3k, RAP, HRRR and even the Canadian are saying its happening and upping totals/coverage overall. Might even be getting some convective thundersnow out of this. Temps are also trending colder. Though to be realistic I do think some of these totals seen here are overdoing it. Might cut the totals in half to get our real amounts due to the warm ground temps causing melting and compacting.

EDIT:  When you go back in and look at the Kuchera Ratio I think those will be closer to our actual amounts.

NAMNSTSGP_prec_snow_060.png

HRRRSGP_prec_snow_048.png

RAPSGP_prec_snow_051.png

NAMSGP_prec_snow_084.png

snku_acc.us_sc.png

• Like 1

Majority of 12z models so far seem to be targeting NE OK, NW AR for the heaviest amounts. Canadian is a little more meh. 

Tues system still has considerable spread.

Good seeing the Christmas Eve system trying to show back up on the 12z GFS. 

21 minutes ago, JoMo said:

Majority of 12z models so far seem to be targeting NE OK, NW AR for the heaviest amounts. Canadian is a little more meh. 

Tues system still has considerable spread.

Good seeing the Christmas Eve system trying to show back up on the 12z GFS. 

Noticed that as well.  Some hope in this pattern.