Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
October Banter 2020

George BM

1 hour ago, Stormfly said:

Going to be too far away to amount to much for us.

Too bad, I'd love to have some 50+ knot gusts out of the E or NE to help with some trees that need to come down!  These ivy wrapped conifers are a NIGHTMARE.  They'd probably tolerate 100MPH out of the east but 55 out of the NW and they'd fall through the pool house.  No thanks to Mr. Murphy.

I'd love to have at least 35+ knot gusts w/ wind-driven rain from a remnant tropical system at least once in a while here... it doesn't even have to be a Hazel , 1933 hurricane, 1878 Gale or Isabel redux to make me happy...

December 19th can't come soon enough! Oh wait- that will be a westerly wind event though. :unsure:

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, George BM said:

I'd love to have at least 35+ knot gusts w/ wind-driven rain from a remnant tropical system at least once in a while here... at this point it doesn't have to be a Hazel , 1933 hurricane, 1878 Gale or Isabel redux to make me happy...

December 19th can't come soon enough! Oh wait- that will be a westerly wind event though. :unsure:

The best event this summer was Isaias and here it was quite weak, the peak (actual max not 3 second gust) here was under 40mph.  Even so, those breezy conditions were enough to bring down a junk tree into some overheads which created a 200+ customer outage here.

As far as best event for strong southerly winds for us, this year, was the April 13th storm.  That was enough to make our front door weather stripping play the kazoo, albeit briefly, but the last time that happened was Irene!  We had a nasty storm in 2010 before the big blizzards with some big gusts too and pretty much before that would have been Isabel.  That was so much blowing that my wife had to shut towels under the door because it was obnoxious like living in an apartment with the kid next door bringing home an instrument from school band for the first time! ;)

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Stormfly said:

The best event this summer was Isaias and here it was quite weak, the peak (actual max not 3 second gust) here was under 40mph.  Even so, those breezy conditions were enough to bring down a junk tree into some overheads which created a 200+ customer outage here.

As far as best event for strong southerly winds for us, this year, was the April 13th storm.  That was enough to make our front door weather stripping play the kazoo, albeit briefly, but the last time that happened was Irene!  We had a nasty storm in 2010 before the big blizzards with some big gusts too and pretty much before that would have been Isabel.  That was so much blowing that my wife had to shut towels under the door because it was obnoxious like living in an apartment with the kid next door bringing home an instrument from school band for the first time! ;)

Yeah. Far eastern areas had fantastic wind events this spring. I also remember the southerly winds during the pre-dawn hours of, I believe, Monday, January 25, 2010. Some of those gusts were legit (nearing 50 mph here). And yeah... peak gust from Isaias here... 29 mph.

We'll get a good event at our respective locations again eventually... probably.

Will it be within the next year or within the next millennium? That's the question. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, George BM said:

Yeah. Far eastern areas had fantastic wind events this spring. I also remember the southerly winds during the pre-dawn hours of, I believe, Monday, January 25, 2010. Some of those gusts were legit (nearing 50 mph here). And yeah... peak gust from Isaias here... 29 mph.

We'll get a good event at our respective locations again eventually... probably.

Will it be within the next year or within the next millennium? That's the question. 

You are correct, I just checked my videos and it was early AM those rolling gusts out of the south came through.  01/25/2010.  Quite warm that morning.  Messed up one of my Maples and a limb took out part of my estate fence.  Takes 50knot+ winds to start wrecking deciduous in winter here.  We had it logged and fence boards replaced in no time which was a good thing considering the whooping we dealt with in Feb!

Another impressive event was March 27-28 Nor'easter!  The day the Colts shipped out.  Got a whopping 7 inches of slush on forecast of rain changing to snow, little or no accum.  Quite windy at night and second lowest pressure 28.88 in AM.  28.53 in/Hg is all time record 03/13/1993 for us and probably everyone else in this area! ;)

15 hours ago, losetoa6 said:

Came across a pic of my first ever bike.  A Huffy "Pro Thunder " ...my uncle got me for Christmas in 1983 lol. I remember riding a wheely for 50 yards and building BMX dirt ramps down at Herring Run park in NE Baltimore.  Couldn't afford the Diamond Back, Red line,  or Hutch Trick Star . ..but it's the rider not the bike that mattered :whistle:

PhotoPictureResizer_201026_205628157_crop_1307x1119.jpg

Right there with you.  Grew up riding second hand GTs, then eventually got good enough at racing that Schwinn hooked me up with a Pro Stock 1.  

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Our local watering hole, Jillys, was just destroyed by fire. It was a two story business.
image.jpeg.7f0eb1a6b284c0c995b9f59739d9fd33.jpeg

OMG.. Jillys? thats really sad. I have only been a handful of time but I always had such good memories.. thats a true loss for the Pikesville Community

• Like 1

On 10/26/2020 at 9:19 PM, losetoa6 said:

Came across a pic of my first ever bike.  A Huffy "Pro Thunder " ...my uncle got me for Christmas in 1983 lol. I remember riding a wheely for 50 yards and building BMX dirt ramps down at Herring Run park in NE Baltimore.  Couldn't afford the Diamond Back, Red line,  or Hutch Trick Star . ..but it's the rider not the bike that mattered :whistle:

PhotoPictureResizer_201026_205628157_crop_1307x1119.jpg

Herring Run park... early 80s... we probably know each other..

9 hours ago, mattie g said:

For the first 6 months of this whole COVID mess, I probably drank 5 nights a week, which led to my catching COVID-15. I’ve cut back to just having a few beers on Thursday-Saturday, which has made the weeks a little bit of a drag. :lol:

my eating is down but def boozing more.  Its not the number of days thats going up, its the amounts I drink when i do drink.  3 tall boys or 4/5 liquor drinks are nothing to me anymore.

18 minutes ago, H2O said:

my eating is down but def boozing more.  Its not the number of days thats going up, its the amounts I drink when i do drink.  3 tall boys or 4/5 liquor drinks are nothing to me anymore.

I wish I could say the same. Working from home has meant that my breakfasts and lunches are bigger than they used to be. When I go into the office I just have snack-y things (Belvitas, granola bars, etc.) in the morning and afternoon, but now I have full bowls of cereal or toast and eggs for breakfast then a sandwich or something for lunch...with maybe a snack of chips in there somewhere.

As for drink quantities...that, too. :lol:

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic