• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Fall/Winter Banter - Football, Basketball, Snowball?

John1122

2 hours ago, Silas Lang said:

Yeah, I was thinking somewhere around that way. I know exactly where you are talking about. nWS says best chance of snow showers is Friday morning for that area, though the latest trends seem to show PM. Is there something they are seeing that I am not? Now just need to get the timing down. 

If lapse rates are driving some of it I would think the PM would be better, but if the sun doesn’t come out tomorrow I don’t know if they will be as high? 

if it were me I would try to wait for radar trends but you may not have that option. 

• Like 3

Judging by several models, Monterey at 1880ft has a good shot at 1 inch+. 

The 3k NAM is giving 4-5 inches above 2800ft+ on the mountain above Caryville I was talking about, but it's liable to be very sketchy road wise there. Especially with 3-5 inches. I'd guess it probably ends up closer to the 1-2 inch range. It's very similar to the mountains around Wise in that it's oriented similarly and just seems to maximize snow opportunities. 

• Like 4

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. If it was not obvious, this was a bust of a little event. I spent the day on the plateau (mostly in Cumberland County) and saw a few flakes, but just nothing ever got going. Even the Cumberland mountains looked blanked. 

But man, it looked like it really wanted to snow all day. The clouds and temps were perfect. Just no moisture or juice. Oh well! 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Silas Lang said:

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. If it was not obvious, this was a bust of a little event. I spent the day on the plateau (mostly in Cumberland County) and saw a few flakes, but just nothing ever got going. Even the Cumberland mountains looked blanked. 

But man, it looked like it really wanted to snow all day. The clouds and temps were perfect. Just no moisture or juice. Oh well! 

Yeah we are right in one of the "prime" areas at 2100 ft msl, picked up a dusting about 4 times lol

For a small window this am everything was coated in maybe 1/4 inch but didn't last. Still, my little one saw snowfall for the first time and was throughly amused

• Like 2

As for why the snow record is messed up?

I don't know, but is is missing snow for sure.  I do know that the scientific method involves hypothesis, collecting data, and then making sound decisions based upon that data.  Data will often tell us if we are right or wrong in our hypothesis.  Bad data will often give us incorrect results.   Corrupt data makes it very difficult to find the truth.

When we set out with a preconceived notion of truth, and don't bother to look to see if data follows our thinking....we may miss bigger truths.  I get super uncomfortable when people (who ask good questions) are seen as crazy or just sidelined.  Now, all of us probably get irritated when someone maybe implies that we are wrong.  Nobody likes being wrong.  But when cooler heads prevail, often we don't mind it.  So, with that in mind I will say this.

Is it warmer than it was 30 years ago?  Yes, especially at higher latitudes of the northern hemisphere.

Am I getting less snow?  Maybe.  Maybe not.  I think higher latitudes in the northern hemisphere are certainly seeing much less snow.  I think there are fewer big storms IMBY.  Summer lasts longer, but spring seems to come later(not this year I don't think).

Is it due to manmade causes?  Possibly.  But it could also be something which we do not see, and maybe that worries me the most.  It bothers me to see people have to accept things that may or may not be true or may be partially true.  This could also be a much larger cycle that we don't understand.  My overall belief is that if we can produce less pollution, that is a good thing no matter what side of the aisle one is.  Is it reasonable to eliminate all pollution?  Probably not at this stage in history, and that is probably not realistic.   But I still want my grandkids to breathe clean air, drink clean water, catch fish/hunt, and have wild places to visit.  But I also do like plentiful electricity, A/C, cars, planes, and computers.  

Are data sets being corrupted to fit an agenda?  Yes, and I don't completely understand why.  I have my theories, but will probably keep those to myself for now.  The last four or five years certainly don't give me that comfy feeling that I am being told the truth.  For all of those reasons, I think asking great questions, listening to others with different opinions, and being a critical thinker are important, just as they always have been.  I don't like group think, and sometimes I think when questions are not asked...there is a risk that we have confirmation bias.  The missing data does make me think that confirmation bias is in play.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Carvers Gap said:

I don't know, but is is missing snow for sure.  I do know that the scientific method involves hypothesis, collecting data, and then making sound decisions based upon that data.  Data will often tell us if we are right or wrong in our hypothesis.  Bad data will often give us incorrect results.   Corrupt data makes it very difficult to find the truth.

When we set out with a preconceived notion of truth, and don't bother to look to see if data follows our thinking....we may miss bigger truths.  I get super uncomfortable when people (who ask good questions) are seen as crazy or just sidelined.  Now, all of us probably get irritated when someone maybe implies that we are wrong.  Nobody likes being wrong.  But when cooler heads prevail, often we don't mind it.  So, with that in mind I will say this.

Is it warmer than it was 30 years ago?  Yes, especially at higher latitudes of the northern hemisphere.

Am I getting less snow?  Maybe.  Maybe not.  I think higher latitudes in the northern hemisphere are certainly seeing much less snow.  I think there are fewer big storms IMBY.  Summer lasts longer, but spring seems to come later(not this year I don't think).

Is it due to manmade causes?  Possibly.  But it could also be something which we do not see, and maybe that worries me the most.  It bothers me to see people have to accept things that may or may not be true or may be partially true.  This could also be a much larger cycle that we don't understand.  My overall belief is that if we can produce less pollution, that is a good thing no matter what side of the aisle one is.  Is it reasonable to eliminate all pollution?  Probably not at this stage in history, and that is probably not realistic.   But I still want my grandkids to breathe clean air, drink clean water, catch fish/hunt, and have wild places to visit.  But I also do like plentiful electricity, A/C, cars, planes, and computers.  

Are data sets being corrupted to fit an agenda?  Yes, and I don't completely understand why.  I have my theories, but will probably keep those to myself for now.  The last four or five years certainly don't give me that comfy feeling that I am being told the truth.  For all of those reasons, I think asking great questions, listening to others with different opinions, and being a critical thinker are important, just as they always have been.  I don't like group think, and sometimes I think when questions are not asked...there is a risk that we have confirmation bias.  The missing data does make me think that confirmation bias is in play.

I agree. But I never really thought the poor snow records were trying to maliciously change the trends of climate here but now that you mention it I wouldn't be surprised. When I go back and look at historical events it's just sad how poor snow records are. I have seen official measurements easily half the actual amount for my area. 

a few years ago they secretly unveiled a new algorithm for measuring sea ice area and volume which very coincidentally increased numbers pre 2015 and lowered numbers post 2015...

even with all the fiddling of numbers they still can't manage to create a new record low sea ice in the Arctic for the headlines lol. Are things changing? I believe so. Buts it's a fluid system to begin with. 

When I see urban heat islands of 10-15 degrees in the summer which hundreds of climate stations are in I wonder how they can somehow say all that asphalt isnt skewing numbers higher?

Just doesn't sit well with me.  On top of that any political hot topic is bound to be riddled with second agendas and goals.. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Carvers Gap said:

Carver very well said.  I am like you in that I am not on either side of the climate spectrum.  Do I believe it’s changed.  Most definitely but you said the key words.  “Has it changed for reasons we don’t know”.  Yes no doubt man has added some effects but I don’t believe it’s to the levels the politicians & govts. are saying.  I like you wonder is this a cycle that we are going thru or is the earth striking midnight. We have heard that many years from now the sun will go out.  Who knows if true. I am saddened also to see what we are doing to the earth.  With the technology of today how can recycling not be more important & efficient.  I watch builders just erase everything off the land to build houses & buildings.  It’s sad & disgusting.  I want my kids to have a beautiful earth to live on not a barren wasteland.  Why do houses not have solar panels built on the roofs already.  Why do water heaters not get their electricity from solar panels.  It’s all about $.  Cutting corners & getting cheapest materials to build.  When in reality it’s killing the future for our kids. We have advanced so much as humans yet we still do things like it’s the stone ages. As far as the numbers being edited.  It does not surprise me. If they make the numbers less it plays into the $ making climate change narrative. 

• Like 1

Talking about the snow records…. I’m not sure this helps or not but a few years ago we had a minor snow event, 2-5” across the valley. The official accumulation for Knoxville that day was around one inch. MRX the next day released a statement explaining the reason for that. They said they check for snow amounts twice a day, AM/PM. It started snowing after the morning opps and they checked again at 5pm where they recorded 1 inch. They actually acknowledged that earlier in the day there was 3+ inches on the ground but it had melted down to one inch when they checked it.

I still call BS on this. I’ve never heard them say that they check for snow twice a day. They do not do that for rain or the temps. That particular system, MRX was calling for .5-1” for Knoxville. During the height of the storm, we had almost 4” and traffic was a disaster. Felt like to me that MRX was padding their accuracy percentage.

• Like 1

Milton messing around on his phone and having to be told Heupel was talking about him when the camera shows up pretty much sums up how I feel about Milton’s attitude. 
Ready for the Nico era! 

I agree. I’ve felt like he’s a guy who plays football but doesn’t love football.

One of my best friends is the parental guardian for Tyre West #42. He had an awesome game today. I can tell you the team was very excited for Nico to play today. Our OL needs some help though. Was missing 3 started but still not good.

• Like 1

Nico and our defensive ends did not disappoint.  We turned some high latitude blocking loose on Iowa today.  All hyperbole aside...I must add, their fans, players, and band are pretty much the classiest out there.  I have heard great reports all around about Hawkeye nation.

• Like 3

On 12/30/2023 at 10:08 AM, Silas Lang said:

We had a dusting between Crossville and Monterey that morning but it had pretty well melted by noon.

411984234_380165997730843_64918777010933

• Like 4

Alright peeps……with the potential for a healthy dose of winter weather coming our way, I need to make you aware of the “Curse of The Snowman”.

You see…..my wife has this decorative metal snowman that she hangs on the door every winter after Christmas. And every year we get what I call “nuisance snows”…..those around an inch or less. When she takes it down…..we get amounts well over 3-4” or more (2014, 2015, 2020). I live less than 5 miles from PowellVolz and he ALWAYS gets more than I do!!!

Even more, when this dang metal contraption is hanging, it partially covers the window on the door and from the inside of the house, with the light shining from the outside……it creates a shadow that looks like an eerie jack-o’-lantern laughing at me!!!

There is simply no way of NOT hanging this on the door. So this year, while saying a silent prayer to Frosty, I hung the metal snowman myself. So hopefully there’s some new mojo that will work in our favor.

Yeah……this is all in jest……but you have been warned!!!

• Like 4

I have not watched any of the game.  Saw a score.  Looks like there will be an asterisk by this title win plus chances are high it will be stripped along with many wins from cheating Harbaugh.  He will leave MI in a mess.

Charts above are how to get proper snow across the entire Tennessee Valley including southeast Tenn.

Take a break tonight for SEC basketball action. Tennessee leads off early. Georgia and Ole' Miss are both getting points at home. Kansas is on too, along with other Big 12. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, nrgjeff said:

Charts above are how to get proper snow across the entire Tennessee Valley including southeast Tenn.

Take a break tonight for SEC basketball action. Tennessee leads off early. Georgia and Ole' Miss are both getting points at home. Kansas is on too, along with other Big 12. 

Apparently, you don't want to be a top 5 team playing this week.  1 and 2 fell yesterday.  TN getting whipped at half.    Looks like Kansas is going to have to bring home a win for the top 5 crew.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1