• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Fall/Winter Banter - Football, Basketball, Snowball?

John1122

Prelim winter 23-24 will be possibly a wall-to-wall torch in terms of temps.  Nino outlooks are more robust than they were a few months ago for next winter.  Snowfall is a big question as moderate to strong Nino winters can still have big coastals.  That idea is dependent on the Nino rising to moderate-strong levels.  If it is weak-moderate(I think unlikely), then we are in business.  Saving grace might be a failing QBO........

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, PowellVolz said:

What a weird weather time we are in, been in. Last week in April and I’ll pull my window planters in because of the frost

I expect cold springs anymore.  Soccer starts & cold, windy & rainy are normal anymore for spring.  I hate winter more each year when we have winter in spring!  We were in Cincy for a showcase this weekend.  Good grief this morning was cloudy, windy & 37!  It’s freaking end of April! We did go to Kings Island yesterday since our game was very early.  Was cloudy & cold but we dressed in winter clothes.  What a blast the parents & team had.  Some of those roller coasters are insane.  I rode the best wooden roller coaster ever there.  The Beast. 4.10 min long & 65mph around a cork screw.  What an adrenaline rush!  I did not do the 300ft high one that drops straight down at 92mph.  That was a big NO for me.  I hate heights!  My daughter loved it.  Lol.

• Like 2

Weather patterns like to get more amplified coming out of winter into spring. Following the warm winter, the Arctic plays games on the spring jet stream. Autumn has not changed as much as spring, because the Arctic was always mild coming out of summer. Now I hand off to the Climate Change section of the forum.

Totally separately, WSJ reports a freight recession, smaller cargo loads, and fewer big rigs. Hmmm. I don't see that here. Who else still observes trucks clogging the Interstates? My guess is WSJ has national stats. Our regional economy remains strong. Silver lining to all these trucks everywhere, lol!

• Like 3

10 hours ago, nrgjeff said:

Weather patterns like to get more amplified coming out of winter into spring. Following the warm winter, the Arctic plays games on the spring jet stream. Autumn has not changed as much as spring, because the Arctic was always mild coming out of summer. Now I hand off to the Climate Change section of the forum.

Totally separately, WSJ reports a freight recession, smaller cargo loads, and fewer big rigs. Hmmm. I don't see that here. Who else still observes trucks clogging the Interstates? My guess is WSJ has national stats. Our regional economy remains strong. Silver lining to all these trucks everywhere, lol!

I travel for my job.  Mileage yearly for me is 35k.  I can say with certainty that for every passenger vehicle there is 2x maybe more big rigs.  I would say a ratio of 2 passenger vehicles to every 8 rigs in a mile. My trucking & hauling shops can not keep up with the demand at this time.  My construction is same.  Where is money coming from is anybody’s guess.  There is over 50% empty retail spaces in America but yet we see building retail spaces all over.  Soon this will hit a brick wall I’m afraid. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, PowellVolz said:

You have Covid now? ICU?

I did.  I was given Paxlovid & it seems to have done the trick.  Yes it’s experimental but what’s not anymore.  Still have the chronic cough it brought back intensely but feeling better. Thankfully not even close to how bad Covid was for me the first time I had it. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Just back from Montana about a week and a half ago.  E TN had a couple of days that were cooler than E TN!!!  Temps out West were much AN, but still very comfortable.  Low humidity is the seventh wonder of the world.  We did see snow, sleet, hail, and rain at about 7500'.  There is plenty of snow still on the mountain tops, but it is melting quickly.  We were able to take the new road into YNP from Gardiner into Mammoth.  Just amazing they built that road into a paved road within four months last summer.  That baby is curvy!!!  Don't look at your phone or a book while riding, or you are gonna have pukers(we had one)!!!!!   Fortunately, it didn't hit until out of the car.  I can't imagine driving around in a rental after that!   The flash floods did a number on that section of the park.  Anyway, great trip.  I will try to post some photos later.  For once, we came back to E TN, and it didn't feel like a sauna.  Monsoon season is in full swing in the northern Rockies.  Watched the last episode of Ted Lasso out there.  Man, what a great, great show that has been.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/7/2023 at 9:29 PM, Carvers Gap said:

@Holston_River_Rambler, paging the rambler.  Anyone talked to Holston lately?  Just checking on you, man.

Thanks man, I'm ok. Been a rough year for the Rambler household. I lost my dad and my wife lost her mom within one month earlier in the year.  Been dealing with a broken toe and possible meniscus tear for the past couple of months too. I'm doing ok though. Saw some snow on the GFS in British Columbia and was already thinking about one of those zoom in gifs, lol. 

Worst of the storms passed us by this week! I have some good summer pics I will post soon. Hope all is well with y'all ! 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

Thanks man, I'm ok. Been a rough year for the Rambler household. I lost my dad and my wife lost her mom within one month earlier in the year.  Been dealing with a broken toe and possible meniscus tear for the past couple of months too. I'm doing ok though. Saw some snow on the GFS in British Columbia and was already thinking about one of those zoom in gifs, lol. 

Worst of the storms passed us by this week! I have some good summer pics I will post soon. Hope all is well with y'all ! 

Condolences buddy.  It's tough when we start losing our parents. 

I feel you on the MCL. I sprained mine hiking down a steep ridge a few years ago. It was bad enough.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1