• Member Statistics

    16,658
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    JimMadson
    Newest Member
    JimMadson
    Joined
wxeyeNH

NNE Cold Season Thread 2020-2021

Recommended Posts

13 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Max 45.7°. Cold for next week is looking like nbd. Just gotta bridge the gap to mid March to avoid the last chances for extreme cold and then we can cheer on a blue bomb.

You need to ditch the bamboo and chickens so you can stop with this ridiculous warm temp fetish. :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, PhineasC said:

You need to ditch the bamboo and chickens so you can stop with this ridiculous warm temp fetish. :) 

I’m okay with the cold in Dec, Jan, and early Feb but we’ve come too far without it so I have to cheer against it now. A few -1s in DJF only to get a -10° in March would be a kick in the nads. We want cold enough to snow anyway...not cold and dry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, dendrite said:

I’m okay with the cold in Dec, Jan, and early Feb but we’ve come too far without it so I have to cheer against it now. A few -1s in DJF only to get a -10° in March would be a kick in the nads. We want cold enough to snow anyway...not cold and dry.

Yep, true. 28 and snow is just fine. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I’m okay with the cold in Dec, Jan, and early Feb but we’ve come too far without it so I have to cheer against it now. A few -1s in DJF only to get a -10° in March would be a kick in the nads. We want cold enough to snow anyway...not cold and dry.

Doesn't look likely this year, but 4 of my 22 winters here had their coldest temp in March: 00-01, 06-07 (on the 9th, the latest so far), 10-11 and 18-19, all in the range -20 to -25. ^_^

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had a couple snow showers today after the sunny start.  A stronger burst just came through dropping a quick inch on the Lookout Snow Plot.  It came through as white rain down in town at 750ft.  Snow level seems to be 1000-1500ft this evening but will drop fast after the FROPA.

Here's last run at 4pm... I love how light it is now late in the day.  Two months ago I would've needed a headlamp practically at the time of these photos on our final lap.  Now I can ski till 415pm and still have enough light to walk the dog when I get home.

153823576_10104468589063560_717619621423

153593176_10104468589123440_433146331684

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is anybody getting their tapping supplies dusted off yet?

The past 4 mornings I've noticed a dramatic difference in the bird songs. I know winter type weather isn't over, but going forward there will be more frequent interludes of spring mixed in...we have passed the solid wall to wall winter period. Yes, there can be snow Memorial Day Weekend up here. Im not denying that...this is the part of winter I like the most- still winter, but I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Fozz said:

I was at Stowe this past weekend. Great conditions, especially Sunday.

Great pics fozz.  Must be something in the water up there.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Snowy morning.  Weirdest surface in the base area... tire tracks only 2” deep but there’s a layer of like 1-1.5” of complete sludge underneath.  It must’ve came in warm and then chilled fast.  You have to dig to find the actual pavement underneath.

The plows are moving some chunky heavy snow despite the top 2” being fluff.

31D3B1B7-03B6-4C71-A7D3-F57AC078F769.thumb.jpeg.00a12e69ea4d56491b6416fca6cc4457.jpeg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, powderfreak said:

Snowy morning.  Weirdest surface in the base area... tire tracks only 2” deep but there’s a layer of like 1-1.5” of complete sludge underneath.  It must’ve came in warm and then chilled fast.  You have to dig to find the actual pavement underneath.

The plows are moving some chunky heavy snow despite the top 2” being fluff.

31D3B1B7-03B6-4C71-A7D3-F57AC078F769.thumb.jpeg.00a12e69ea4d56491b6416fca6cc4457.jpeg

 

Even the melting sidewalks couldn't handle it

StowePlaza.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Even the melting sidewalks couldn't handle it

StowePlaza.jpg

Flash freeze for sure.  It was like 38F in the base area at 11pm it looks like, then the FROPA came through with several hours of +SN.  Poor heated pavers, ha.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Skied a lap on the Sherburne Trail out of Pinkham Notch this morning. I would estimate there was 1-2" of new snow in the Pinkham parking lot, and closer to 3" up at Hermit Lake (3800'). I noted a similar consistency here as powderfreak noted in Vermont - it skied way more dense than a usual 1-3" snowfall. There's a pretty scratchy surface underneath thanks to the thaw/freeze cycle these last two days.

Looking forward to a complete re-set on Saturday, but hoping we can avoid a change to sleet/fzra in the late stages of the event.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw PF's post this morning and went to the webcams - it was dumping at both MRG and Wildcat sometime after 5am, I rechecked the wildcat webcam after the sun came up and before I walked the dog - 630ish and the the snow had temporarily stopped at Wildcat. Snowing hard there now via webcam. I've got a reservation at wildcat sunday so hoping for the best between now and then. My local metrowest nordic skiing is vanishing quickly :-((((

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Models all have about .5" liquid here as snow for Saturday.

Fingers crossed for my first snowfall over 2" since the beginning of Feb.

4-6" of snow would be perfect to rebuild things and set up March.

I didn't realize you had gone so long without a 2" snowfall! I guess this month has been better for the synoptic areas versus the upslope areas (though not by much). I measured 2.3" on February 16th and 3.4" this past Monday into Tuesday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, jculligan said:

I didn't realize you had gone so long without a 2" snowfall! I guess this month has been better for the synoptic areas versus the upslope areas (though not by much). I measured 2.3" on February 16th and 3.4" this past Monday into Tuesday.

I have been in a bit of a snow hole since the early Feb storm. It’s all fair since I did better than most other areas in the other big synoptic events. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Best upslope snow here in a while.

Yeah radar over here looks unblocked for the most part.... allowing for good propagation downwind.  It seems that's your sweet spot too.  Lets the snow showers/squalls get further ESE without losing their pay load too early.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah radar over here looks unblocked for the most part.... allowing for good propagation downwind.  It seems that's your sweet spot too.  Lets the snow showers/squalls get further ESE without losing their pay load too early.

Waves of windy fluff blowing through with embedded heavier bursts. Haven't seen a day of this in a while. Everything looks like deep winter again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.