Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NNE Cold Season Thread 2020-2021

wxeyeNH

19 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Impressive system for downtown 

Yeah that’s a good upslope storm for 750ft for sure.  Nice to start with ~10” total between the two systems.  This is one of those ones where I’m torn... 10” from the break and measuring it with two different events... or just the 8.5” that’s on the ground at the end.

4 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah that’s a good upslope storm for 750ft for sure.  Nice to start with ~10” total between the two systems.  This is one of those ones where I’m torn... 10” from the break and measuring it with two different events... or just the 8.5” that’s on the ground at the end.

That’s what we call a “winner’s problem” :)  

12 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

The heated walkways are fired up in some sections again... I’m with Will on hating it.  But creates some funny scenes like this.

The warm ground argument works when the pavers are heated lol.

179C9CE4-07C5-42E0-83BE-21EB496B4F09.jpeg.73e5fc9c9dc6eaeb95cc4d36426503a5.jpeg

Deep winter in other areas.

65D9FBF0-459E-4D9E-A48F-3D46693DE7F3.jpeg.fe4ba64ad73e1d1c9ec6e94abee44b32.jpeg

Will chucked his laptop out the window in a fit of rage before he could even scroll down to the second picture.

1 minute ago, dendrite said:

Am I the only one who likes the heated walkways? I'd love a heated driveway.

You’re definitely not the only one that likes the heated walkways – I love them.  It’s hard to figure out people’s beef.  It’s not as if they’re melting the useful snowpack - they’re removing the snow from where you’re going to remove it anyway.  You don’t need salt, you’re not scraping down the masonry, and the end result is a clean look instead half scraped areas, and patches of snow and ice everywhere.  The effect the heated walkways produce is actually quite aesthetic because you also get the clean edges between where the snow should be and where it shouldn’t, instead of piles of shoveled snow thrown everywhere.  Shoveled piles can have a clean look sometimes as well, but there’s often some sort of dirt or salt in there, and it’s hard to beat the clean lines of the heated walkways where the surrounding snow is typically pristine/untouched.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

You’re definitely not the only one that likes the heated walkways – I love them.  It’s hard to figure out people’s beef.  It’s not as if they’re melting the useful snowpack - they’re removing the snow from where you’re going to remove it anyway.  You don’t need salt, you’re not scraping down the masonry, and the end result is a clean look instead half scraped areas, and patches of snow and ice everywhere.  The effect the heated walkways produce is actually quite aesthetic because you also get the clean edges between where the snow should be and where it shouldn’t, instead of piles of shoveled snow thrown everywhere.  Shoveled piles can have a clean look sometimes as well, but there’s often some sort of dirt or salt in there, and it’s hard to beat the clean lines of the heated walkways where the surrounding snow is typically pristine/untouched.

I never really thought of the OCD aspect, but now that you mention it I agree with that too.

To me it always reminded me of ski vacations out west at Whistler and places that have these massive heated plazas... so it’s a good memory and makes it feel like a ski resort.

If I had my way they would stay off while a storm hits and then turn them on to melt it instead of plowing lol.  Leaves very clear demarcations of “no snow” to “snow” with no brown snowbanks like JSpin said.

Anyway, it’s snowing again pretty steadily.  Wind is nuts though, lots of blowing and drifting.

5 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Anyway, it’s snowing again pretty steadily.  Wind is nuts though, lots of blowing and drifting.

Yeah, we’re getting some nice rounds of extra snow showers as well down here.  You can see the streamers pushing through in line with what Phin had mentioned in one of his posts:

03NOV20A.gif

• ORH_wxman pinned and unpinned this topic