Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NNE Cold Season Thread 2020-2021

wxeyeNH

15 minutes ago, dendrite said:

40° with a few snow pellets and flurries. 

Incredible south wind up here at 3,600ft and it’s 27F on the shelter thermometer.  But I can’t see any sign of precipitation on any horizon as I survey the kingdom.  No virga streaks or anything.  Mid level cloud deck is pretty high up.

But holy crap at this wind, I’m frozen solid.  Just unrelenting.  

22 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Yeah most likely. We’ve been seeing the evapo cooling in the mid levels today with these snow pellets and sleet making it to the ground despite 2m temps near 40°.

Yeah the sleet and snow makes sense, it’s in the 20s at 3-4000ft up here.

MMNV1 has been 24-27F all day. 

12 hours ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

That jay peak base spot is silly 

Is that a condo on the mountain 2k or just nearby around 1700-1800’ or so 

We have a condo on the mountain.  We are about a half mile in from 242, at about 1850‘ or so.  When you are from NJ winters looking for snow, go big or go home.  

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

10 hours ago, powderfreak said:

It's pretty buried on the BTV site, but it's under the Mansfield MesoNet page:

https://www.weather.gov/btv/profile

Under the temperature profile graph, there are Froude Model Forecasts.  I'm a big fan of the 4km northern Greens as that's the most applicable.  When it tries to blend in all of the Greens it gets noisy.

Good stuff, thanks.  So flow looks good and 850s drop to decent ratio levels, but not a ton of moisture? 

37 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Some white up there this morning.

B2C4BE02-BCD6-41B8-B69E-4111C79C60A7.thumb.jpeg.4edad7c027c69b5646d1b5dedb73b37a.jpeg

Nice PF, thanks for the visual update.  There’s nothing new to report down here in the valley aside from the trace of sleet and snow that I mentioned earlier.  That’s not too surprising with the current temperatures, and indeed the snow line looks pretty high.  I do see flakes flying down at 2,100’ at Bolton’s main base, and there’s a coating of white up above 3,000’ at Vista.

4 hours ago, PhineasC said:

Other than the midweek cold shot, not much exciting weather going on. I hope next weekend and beyond trends to cold with snow chances. Kind of a disappointing month so far. Wet and mild. December will be here before we know it. 

The one eyed pig ...better leave by early December on models 

I planned on escaping SNE winters with frequent trips ...now I would have to drive to Hudson Bay 

22 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

The one eyed pig ...better leave by early December on models 

I planned on escaping SNE winters with frequent trips ...now I would have to drive to Hudson Bay 

Yeah, mid to upper 30s and rain showers is not really what I was hoping for in Randolph. Basically just a colder version of what I get in MD... Hope it changes soon.

44 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Yeah, mid to upper 30s and rain showers is not really what I was hoping for in Randolph. Basically just a colder version of what I get in MD... Hope it changes soon.

We might have over-sold it, but despite the snowfall averages we still see plenty of crap weather.  It’s not all candy canes and snow pillow gum drops from October to May.  You’ll see this even in mid-winter in a bad pattern where it’s a 2,500ft snow level spitting mixed crap and windy.

Looks like we have plenty of chances over the next ten days to straddle the line between puke and snow showers lol.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, alex said:

It's November. Relax. :) 

42 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Been getting rounds of snow showers and graupel here at 1,500ft.  No accumulation except the last graupel shower was enough to whiten the mulch beds lol.

It still isn’t that cold out.

LOL I know. Hopefully some of these upcoming marginal events break right for us.

15 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

LOL I know. Hopefully some of these upcoming marginal events break right for us.

The past couple of years we've had exceptionally early snowpack, but it seems to me on my limited data that true snowpack building usually starts around Thanksgiving and not until early to mid December in lower elevations like Bartlett and North Conway 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Been getting rounds of snow showers and graupel here at 1,500ft.  No accumulation except the last graupel shower was enough to whiten the mulch beds lol.

It still isn’t that cold out.

It’s been very similar here to what you’re seeing, and we were able to get our first measurable accumulation out of this system down here in the valley.  In our case it was sleet (it seemed way to dense to be graupel), but similarly, it’s the sort of stuff that can survive the flight down into the warmer air from above.  The boys and I were out splitting some wood and got hit with some rounds of frozen, with one round hitting the 0.1” threshold for accumulation.  It looks like there are additional chances for snow/frozen into Wednesday as the models had suggested.

59 minutes ago, alex said:

The past couple of years we've had exceptionally early snowpack, but it seems to me on my limited data that true snowpack building usually starts around Thanksgiving and not until early to mid December in lower elevations like Bartlett and North Conway 

It has been early the last couple of years.  I am usually teaching a snowmobile safety course the first Saturday in December and that seems to be around the time we start having snow stick around usually. 

• ORH_wxman pinned and unpinned this topic