Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Cold Season Thread 2020-2021

wxeyeNH

13 minutes ago, wxmanmitch said:

Deep, deep winter. 25-26" OTG. My famous snow blower cuts are back. 3.0" new in the past 24 hours with 33.6" in the past week.

140109916_3422477134530285_3542288296203019817_o.jpg

140333843_3422476971196968_6433316864351413960_o.jpg

141920064_3422477567863575_6635978297605505114_o.jpg

I'm in the other camp from you and PF.  If you had that plowed it would look twice as weenie-ish.  The crisp snowblower cuts don't look as substantial IMO.  Once you get up to 3ft or so I think then it doesn't matter what you do. I'll bun myself for that one..ha :weenie:

• Like 1

Just now, backedgeapproaching said:

Any long timer NE residents know of such a mid JAN discrepancy between NNE and SNE? I mean normally tree's caked and glades skiing would also mean SNE would have some decent snow cover too.  Seems more like a shoulder season vibe right now. 

I feel like it happens both ways... I mean when that monster storm rolled through with 12-44" in December, far NNE up here and over through Phin's area had like a few inches of snow on the ground, ha.  Big difference but in the reverse.

This was sort of like "one" storm though of haves and have nots... followed by days and days of orographic snows.  I still don't know if I'd consider it a true NNE vs SNE pattern either.  I think we'd want multiple storms of similar tracks/thermals.  This is more like upslope country vs. non-upslope country, instead of NNE/SNE, in my opinion.

But SE of the mountains (even parts of NNE) just never recovered from the Grinch storm, which without a doubt plays into the mood/vibe.  It wouldn't help much, but it would at least make a difference if SNE had held onto some of the December snow this whole time.  We definitely got a bit lucky, but also used the insurance policy of orographics to produce a very snowy period where one might not have otherwise existed.

Either way, even I don't dare posting in that thread anything remotely close to happiness or enjoyment right now.  Just full on funeral there.

8 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Any long timer NE residents know of such a mid JAN discrepancy between NNE and SNE? I mean normally tree's caked and glades skiing would also mean SNE would have some decent snow cover too.  Seems more like a shoulder season vibe right now. 

Except we are only one storm removed from a much less severe gradient. Before this week, it wasn’t exactly deep winter. I had 5”-6” otg prior to that storm and we got lucky that it ticked East. 

7 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I feel like it happens both ways... I mean when that monster storm rolled through with 12-44" in December, far NNE up here and over through Phin's area had like a few inches of snow on the ground, ha.  Big difference but in the reverse.

This was sort of like "one" storm though of haves and have nots... followed by days and days of orographic snows.  I still don't know if I'd consider it a true NNE vs SNE pattern either.  I think we'd want multiple storms of similar tracks/thermals.  This is more like upslope country vs. non-upslope country, instead of NNE/SNE, in my opinion.

But SE of the mountains (even parts of NNE) just never recovered from the Grinch storm, which without a doubt plays into the mood/vibe.  It wouldn't help much, but it would at least make a difference if SNE had held onto some of the December snow this whole time.  We definitely got a bit lucky, but also used the insurance policy of orographics to produce a very snowy period where one might not have otherwise existed.

Either way, even I don't dare posting in that thread anything remotely close to happiness or enjoyment right now.  Just full on funeral there.

Yes, there are areas to the E and SE of the Whites that have been totally boned this winter. North Conway and Jackson (outside the elevated spots like jculligan) got only a couple inches in the last event and had rain. They also missed the early December and mid-December storms, and the storm on New Years was hardly a blockbuster for anyone. Plus, they basically get zero upslope. The upslope component is really what made this storm epic, and in NH only a certain set of places are really positioned to capitalize on that. Even down by Franconia Notch it looks nothing like the mushroom cap environment here. It's like 4-5 OTG at best. Bretton Woods also isn't mind-blowing right now in terms of snow OTG.

4 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Right, not meaning a pattern where 3-4 SWFE storms were gradient in nature below the VT/NH border.  Obviously it's not great in the Dendrite/lava/dryslot land.  I guess my point is a mid JAN elevation event seems more rare followed by a week of upslope with bare ground everywhere outside of the mountain area's.  I guess it's not really pattern as more of a one off event followed by 7 days of orographic snows.  Still seems a bit unusual, but maybe I'm off here.  

10 minutes ago, mreaves said:

Except we are only one storm removed from a much less severe gradient. Before this week, it wasn’t exactly deep winter. I had 5”-6” otg prior to that storm and we got lucky that it ticked East. 

Right, I only had a trace on the ground a week ago.  Glad we live here? :)

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Yes, there are areas to the E and SE of the Whites that have been totally boned this winter. North Conway and Jackson (outside the elevated spots like jculligan) got only a couple inches in the last event and had rain. They also missed the early December and mid-December storms, and the storm on New Years was hardly a blockbuster for anyone. Plus, they basically get zero upslope. The upslope component is really what made this storm epic, and in NH only a certain set of places are really positioned to capitalize on that. Even down by Franconia Notch it looks nothing like the mushroom cap environment here. It's like 4-5 OTG at best. Bretton Woods also isn't mind-blowing right now in terms of snow OTG.

I know I've been enjoying it and posting happily, but it also hasn't been "epic".  I'm with J.Spin on that one.  It's just been a good period of winter, which this year feels a bit better.  I mean we are talking about mountains and places that can do 36" of upslope in 36 hours... or the 80" in a week type cycles.  36" in 7 days at my High Road plot is fun but it's not anything overly noteworthy except for when it doesn't snow in years like this.  I mean, that had 106" in 3 weeks back in 2017... like that's an epic or noteworthy period, ha.  But this season has tended to want to spread the love to the lower elevations more too.  The elevation gradient hasn't been as severe as it can be.

We got a fun week of snow in an overall slow season... I think of 2015-16 and a poor winter when SNE ripped off a couple good storms.  I remember one with 15" of paste in CT among others while NNE starved.  Also, orographic snows will always be sharp with a gradient depending on the set-up, Froude number, amount of blocked flow.  This one was a bit more unblocked and favored slightly further east in the upslope zone and spread the love out more. Other times it will be a big blocked flow period and the west side of the upslope zone will get destroyed while the eastern ends will see wind-blown flurries for days and days.

The OTG difference was the initial storm, IMO.  If that tracks west (like mreaves alluded to), and that initial 6-16" disappears as rain, then this whole thing is just a serviceable upslope period with a few inches per day.

29 minutes ago, alex said:

I agree that this wasn't epic. We get these periods fairly regularly. I mean - they're still awesome periods, but the frequency at which they happen makes them not that epic. I've certainly seen better/longer periods like this several times  in just the few years I've been here. 

When can we get another one? LOL

In fairness to @bwt3650 and myself... we are from the Mid-Atlantic!

This week has been the second greatest snow period of my entire life. The back-to-back HECS in early Feb 2010 haven't been topped quite yet but this was close.

So for us, epic is a lower bar. :) 

Over time expectations and evaluation of the results will adjust. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

This week has been the second greatest snow period of my entire life. The back-to-back HECS in early Feb 2010 haven't been topped quite yet but this was close.

They are spoiled silly up there Phin. Lol pulling a 100 in a couple of months is child's play

Conditions were very good in Phin's neighborhood today. We haven't reached the magical 40" snow depth, so it was definitely a little brushy/scrubby in sections (especially the steeper pitches) but it was nice to finally get some turns on an off piste glade. Crescent Ridge is a super fun zone! I'll be back after the next storm/period of persistent upslope.

• Like 2

All of this snow this past week being blown around makes it look like the Arctic out there. Had a little snow yesterday, but it sounds like this pattern is coming to an end unfortunately. I like the deep winter feel. Sitting at -1 right now (7:30 am) and can hear snapping outside. I see one tree that is leaning hard in the woods being suspended by other trees, think it gave out sometime during the night.

10 hours ago, PhineasC said:

Yeah totally get it.  This must feel insane, ha.  Just wait till that CoCoRAHS site gets 48" in 5 days or something behind you.  This was a solid period for the mountains but it can get out of hand pretty quickly at other times.  Or like the period we just went through but then throw on another synoptic 10-18"... but alas it looks pretty boring going forward.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Patriot21 said:

All of this snow this past week being blown around makes it look like the Arctic out there. Had a little snow yesterday, but it sounds like this pattern is coming to an end unfortunately. I like the deep winter feel. Sitting at -1 right now (7:30 am) and can hear snapping outside. I see one tree that is leaning hard in the woods being suspended by other trees, think it gave out sometime during the night.

The models look to queue up some more action starting very end of Jan, beginning of Feb. But it will be a quiet and chilly week for NNE while we sit on our packs.

4 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah totally get it.  This must feel insane, ha.  Just wait till that CoCoRAHS site gets 48" in 5 days or something behind you.  This was a solid period for the mountains but it can get out of hand pretty quickly at other times.  Or like the period we just went through but then throw on another synoptic 10-18"... but alas it looks pretty boring going forward.

I am having trouble imagining it. For me, this last period was nearly off the charts. Just incredible snow-on-snow for days. And it wasn't even that cold or that much snow, looking at historical records. A real weenie paradise. LOL

• Like 1

Event totals: 8.4” Snow/0.21” L.E.

We’re really cleared out now, so it looks like this will be the last accumulation to report from this system, and the numbers above should be the final totals.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.1 inches

New Liquid: 0.01 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 10.0

Snow Density: 10.0% H2O

Temperature: 1.6 F

Sky: Mostly Clear

Snow at the stake: 16.0 inches

12 hours ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Right, not meaning a pattern where 3-4 SWFE storms were gradient in nature below the VT/NH border.  Obviously it's not great in the Dendrite/lava/dryslot land.  I guess my point is a mid JAN elevation event seems more rare followed by a week of upslope with bare ground everywhere outside of the mountain area's.  I guess it's not really pattern as more of a one off event followed by 7 days of orographic snows.  Still seems a bit unusual, but maybe I'm off here.  

It’s been pretty tough outside the mtns for sure. You had that lucky band by dendrite in December, but outside of that it’s been terrible up there away from the mtns. There is very little snow up by Winni right now which is pretty rare. Just ask Dryslot lol.

46 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

The models look to queue up some more action starting very end of Jan, beginning of Feb. But it will be a quiet and chilly week for NNE while we sit on our packs.

Looking forward to it, I enjoy this weather this time of year. Really all the seasons in NNE have nice characteristics.