Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Cold Season Thread 2020-2021

wxeyeNH

Just now, LaGrangewx said:

Saw there was a Slide reported on Left Gully today and a skier got carried down. Ok though thankfully 

There was about 3" of new snow last night with a persistent westerly wind of 30-40 mph in the alpine zone today. No doubt there was some pretty significant loading at the top of Left today. With snow falling on the mountain right now and a significant wind event shaping up for the weekend, the ravines are definitely a "no go" for me over the next few days. Mellow trees will be the ticket this weekend.

10 minutes ago, jculligan said:

There was about 3" of new snow last night with a persistent westerly wind of 30-40 mph in the alpine zone today. No doubt there was some pretty significant loading at the top of Left today. With snow falling on the mountain right now and a significant wind event shaping up for the weekend, the ravines are definitely a "no go" for me over the next few days. Mellow trees will be the ticket this weekend.

Yup I saw on the avalanche site they were foreshadowing a bad forecast the next few days in today’s discussion 

52 minutes ago, bwt3650 said:

Snowing moderately again..prob another 3”.  I think I would classify this week as epic here.  Just an amazing amount of snow.  Yard stick won’t even touch the ground.

I hadn’t checked on the resort snow totals for the past week, so your comment got me thinking and I just assembled the list below to see where things stood as of this evening.  As expected, Jay Peak is leading the pack with 46”.

For perspective, at least with respect to just snowfall numbers for the past week, I don’t think we’re really in “epic” territory.  I’d say the week is actually better characterized as “very solid”, or “strong”, or “great”, or something along those lines.  Obviously these terms are highly subjective, but for “epic” (sort of a “once-a-season” type of week), I’d want to see snowfall numbers 1.5X to 2X what we’ve seen this week.  The snowfall numbers below, or even higher totals, could easily be picked up in one solid storm cycle over the course of a couple of days, and then if the rest of the week has solid daily snows, or you happen to get a second big, synoptic storm, you can imagine where the numbers would end up.

I think for describing the overall ski conditions, “epic” might have a better chance, simply because it was that perfect combination of starting off with a hefty shot of beautifully dense, high L.E. snow, followed by day after day after day of very solid refreshers of midwinter dry powder.  That’s seriously what makes for the best ski surfaces, so conditions have just been really good.  And, the “zero to hero” factor sort of makes it feel somewhat more epic than it really is.  I still think we’re falling short of “epic” all around though – the existing snowpack was just way too shallow starting off the week to immediately go to that “no holds barred” type of off piste skiing.

To that point, I see that the snowpack at the Mt. Mansfield Stake is 36” (vs. an average of 44”), so we’re still below average in that regard and really haven’t even reached the point of the 40” rule yet.  I feel like we’ve at least got to get there before we get into “epic” territory.  Of course it’s all subjective, but no doubt it’s been a very solid week for snowfall and ski conditions around here.

It would be interesting to hear where PF would place the week for Stowe based on his extensive experience.

North to south listing of available 7-day snowfall totals from the Vermont ski areas:

Jay Peak: 46”

Burke: 18”

Smuggler’s Notch: 32”

Stowe: 35”

Bolton Valley: 29”

Mad River Glen: 30”

Sugarbush: 30”

Pico: 36”

Killington: 36”

Okemo: 23”

Magic Mountain: 19”

Mount Snow: 35”

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Another 3-4” up here last night at the ski area.  This is getting nuts.  Now for the Arctic hounds... very strong 30-45mph NW gusts ripping through the Notch.  Temps down to 7F at 1500ft and -1F top of Quad.

So much snow everywhere.

What a great week there. Just all mtns.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, J.Spin said:

I hadn’t checked on the resort snow totals for the past week, so your comment got me thinking and I just assembled the list below to see where things stood as of this evening.  As expected, Jay Peak is leading the pack with 46”.

For perspective, at least with respect to just snowfall numbers for the past week, I don’t think we’re really in “epic” territory.  I’d say the week is actually better characterized as “very solid”, or “strong”, or “great”, or something along those lines.  Obviously these terms are highly subjective, but for “epic” (sort of a “once-a-season” type of week), I’d want to see snowfall numbers 1.5X to 2X what we’ve seen this week.  The snowfall numbers below, or even higher totals, could easily be picked up in one solid storm cycle over the course of a couple of days, and then if the rest of the week has solid daily snows, or you happen to get a second big, synoptic storm, you can imagine where the numbers would end up.

I think for describing the overall ski conditions, “epic” might have a better chance, simply because it was that perfect combination of starting off with a hefty shot of beautifully dense, high L.E. snow, followed by day after day after day of very solid refreshers of midwinter dry powder.  That’s seriously what makes for the best ski surfaces, so conditions have just been really good.  And, the “zero to hero” factor sort of makes it feel somewhat more epic than it really is.  I still think we’re falling short of “epic” all around though – the existing snowpack was just way too shallow starting off the week to immediately go to that “no holds barred” type of off piste skiing.

To that point, I see that the snowpack at the Mt. Mansfield Stake is 36” (vs. an average of 44”), so we’re still below average in that regard and really haven’t even reached the point of the 40” rule yet.  I feel like we’ve at least got to get there before we get into “epic” territory.  Of course it’s all subjective, but no doubt it’s been a very solid week for snowfall and ski conditions around here.

It would be interesting to hear where PF would place the week for Stowe based on his extensive experience.

North to south listing of available 7-day snowfall totals from the Vermont ski areas:

For reference, the Randolph observer has recorded 30.4” over this same stretch. 

Looks like Randolph has the highest total in NNE on CoCoRaHS at least, unless I missed one on the map. 

9 hours ago, J.Spin said:

You would know better what is epic and what is not up here...how about “epic” recovery?  Don’t think we go from zero to hero better than we did this week throughout 2020-2021.

33 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

For reference, the Randolph observer has recorded 30.4” over this same stretch. 

Looks like Randolph has the highest total in NNE on CoCoRaHS at least, unless I missed one on the map. 

I see a 30.6” for Stamford, VT and 32.3” for Rochester, VT too.  Then drops to a bunch of mid-20s.

Been a pretty good cycle for Adirondacks, Greens and up to the northern side of the Whites.

Can see the axis for sure.

9A9B1659-9DA2-40B1-B41D-21C99D633D7F.jpeg

15 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I see a 30.6” for Stamford, VT and 32.3” for Rochester, VT too.  Then drops to a bunch of mid-20s.

Been a pretty good cycle for Adirondacks, Greens and up to the northern side of the Whites.

Can see the axis for sure.

9A9B1659-9DA2-40B1-B41D-21C99D633D7F.jpeg

I can’t get those Southern VT sites to show up on mobile on my end. Weird. 

Just those two specific higher sites will not show. 
496217BA-395E-4701-A153-EF603DC51738.thumb.jpeg.428645bc9d05fe2a8e38296e15a71836.jpeg

4 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

I can’t get those Southern VT sites to show up on mobile on my end. Weird. 

Just those two specific higher sites will not show. 

Haha it’s the new Cocorahs weenie app download where it throws out values higher than your neighborhood site.

One of them is in Central VT just north of Killington and the other is in Mitch’s hood.

20 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

I see Rochester 2.3 NE with 28.3” of snow over the last 7 days. Not sure if there is another site that I am not getting on my end. 

Oh yeah I just went to the start of that big storm. Friday to this morning.  It started down south a little earlier.

No biggie, doesn’t matter in the end, ha.

Just now, PhineasC said:

Ah ok. That explains things. Still can’t get that one site to show up, but whatever. Can’t trust anything on the Internet these days! LOL

Haha yeah, what a period it’s been for the mountains.  Winter-changing vibe since that elevation paste started last Friday night.

The one thing I have noticed with CoCoRAHS on the maps is if a spot is missing data for a day, it won’t display it at all in those “ranges” map settings.  Sort of an annoying quirk but if someone doesn’t enter a 0” for days with no snowfall/precip (some sites just seem to not report anything if nothing happens), then it won’t include that site.  Like it needs to see a value every day regardless.  That’s not happening in this example but I’ve found sites disappear and then you go back and find more sites manually... they just don’t display if they have any missing data at all.

15 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Haha yeah, what a period it’s been for the mountains.  Winter-changing vibe since that elevation paste started last Friday night.

The one thing I have noticed with CoCoRAHS on the maps is if a spot is missing data for a day, it won’t display it at all in those “ranges” map settings.  Sort of an annoying quirk but if someone doesn’t enter a 0” for days with no snowfall/precip (some sites just seem to not report anything if nothing happens), then it won’t include that site.  Like it needs to see a value every day regardless.  That’s not happening in this example but I’ve found sites disappear and then you go back and find more sites manually... they just don’t display if they have any missing data at all.

Wish with the new mapping feature you could do a running seasonal snowfall total over a specific date range and view it in map form.   That would be a nice feature to be able to view the nuances in totals across the region.

4 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Oh--yep, thanks.   More than 45 days would be nice like you said.  I'm no software engineer, but think it wouldn't have been difficult to increase the date range to a year or so.

I assume it's due to processing limitations on the backend. I doubt the organization has much money for server horsepower, and they must know that anything more than 45 days is too much data to crunch and plot. It's a shame though because it would make seasonal comparisons much easier.

31 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

I assume it's due to processing limitations on the backend. I doubt the organization has much money for server horsepower, and they must know that anything more than 45 days is too much data to crunch and plot. It's a shame though because it would make seasonal comparisons much easier.

Makes sense. More members they continue to get the more sponsors they get and maybe put a little more money into some of that. Even the 45 day interactive map is new and an upgrade.