Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Cold Season Thread 2020-2021

wxeyeNH

20 minutes ago, jculligan said:

2" down as of 11pm and still snowing at a steady clip. Beautiful night out there.

Really surprised by this one tonight. This event has some staying power. I definitely expected this to be weak and lame given it's basically the leftovers from the SNE leftovers. Some solid heavy snow here.

15 hours ago, Angus said:

@wxeyeNH how is the ice building on newfound? i'm planning on spending the weekend on winnisquam and would love to get some shore  line skating if it freezes sufficiently. thanks if you have any insight.

Newfound is half frozen over.   The bays have ice that was great for skating but now are covered with about an inch of snow.  Winnisquam is probably shallower and froze earlier.  Friday and Saturday will be in the single numbers so the ice will thicken.   Lake Winn has a forum with info for the lakes over there.  Maybe get more info with that of a FB group?  Have fun and dress warm

40 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Not impressed by Wildcat grooming. Sloppy and half-assed is not the same thing as “natural” folks. And there is zero reason to leave the one green way down off the summit for kids ungroomed like a damn bump run. Come on. 

How many runs were open?  Wanted to get over there this year, but seems like nothing but problems there.  Heard the views alone are worth it and some decent steeps, but not if they are going to be garbage.

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Late to the observation but only an inch at home and 1.5" at High Road Stake at 3,000ft.

We got caught between the lift to the south and that mid-level band that went from like Jay Peak through NEK into the N.NH crew.

Wasn’t up on the mountain today but I’d guess we got around 3”.  Probably a little better than you, but not much.  Tmrw night looks decent for a quick few inches before some decent cold.  Hoping the winds die down for the weekend.

Event totals: 1.8” Snow/0.08” L.E.

We’ve still got a bit of light snow falling on and off today, but there’s not much on the radar that suggests any substantial accumulations for this event in the immediate future.

Details from the 12:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.1 inches

New Liquid: Trace

Temperature: 32.4 F

Sky: Light Snow (1-2 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 14.0 inches

22 minutes ago, bwt3650 said:

How many runs were open?  Wanted to get over there this year, but seems like nothing but problems there.  Heard the views alone are worth it and some decent steeps, but not if they are going to be garbage.

1 hour ago, PhineasC said:

Not impressed by Wildcat grooming. Sloppy and half-assed is not the same thing as “natural” folks. And there is zero reason to leave the one green way down off the summit for kids ungroomed like a damn bump run. Come on. 

they are reporting 43 today - the usual suspects that require lots of natural are not open but there are a few that are open that probably shouldn't be - pick your way down type skiing. @PhineasC Wildcat is not BW or the Tuckerbrook area for better/worse. In the Spring, they let the whole mountain get bumped up. I guess polecat is the only green trail coming off the top technically, there are a couple of other ways down for lower intermediates but you'd need to know the mountain better. Sorry, wasn't great experience.

30 minutes ago, bwt3650 said:

Seemed like 80% or so but some trails were really stretching it. They have snow. They just aren’t taking care of it. I hate to sound like a Karen, but it was a joke. Many others were grumbling on the lifts and in the parking lot. I mentioned to a lift operator that it was pretty rough and he immediately said, “It messed up your skis right? Please report that to customer service and maybe they will start to fix things.” My skis are fine, but I guess there have been issues all season. People hitting rocks and such. 

I wouldn’t bother with Wildcat right now. Go to Cannon if you want challenging steeps. It’s icy there but at least they know how to groom to keep the snow piles from building up 3 feet tall in the center of the trail...

4 minutes ago, Angus said:

they are reporting 43 today - the usual suspects that require lots of natural are not open but there are a few that are open that probably shouldn't be - pick your way down type skiing. @PhineasC Wildcat is not BW or the Tuckerbrook area for better/worse. In the Spring, they let the whole mountain get bumped up. I guess polecat is the only green trail coming off the top technically, there are a couple of other ways down for lower intermediates but you'd need to know the mountain better. Sorry, wasn't great experience.

I thought catapult was a nice blue run but they should state on the website that they are natural instead of groomed. I am not a delicate flower. I made it down just fine. But it would be nice to know the actual status before plunging down the trail. 

4 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

Newfound is half frozen over.   The bays have ice that was great for skating but now are covered with about an inch of snow.  Winnisquam is probably shallower and froze earlier.  Friday and Saturday will be in the single numbers so the ice will thicken.   Lake Winn has a forum with info for the lakes over there.  Maybe get more info with that of a FB group?  Have fun and dress warm

Thank you. I don't do FB but have been trying to interpret from the Winni forum. I'm hopeful that I will get to skate some! Think I will be staying in the insulated/baseboard heated efficiency not the cottage this weekend given forecasted temps! 

2 hours ago, PhineasC said:

Looks like all their greens were groomed?  I’ll try to see if I can see the GPS data on when.

My guess is summit was groomed out of the gate at 4pm and then snow fell on top of it.  Which goes to the age old question if groomed and snow falls on it, do you remove it from the grooming list?  We used to get hammered calling stuff groomed when it then snows overnight and Guest Services gets bombarded with “you say 65 groomed trails and I couldn’t find one of them!”

Lynx, Polecat, Upper Catapult, Middle Wildcat and Bobcat are groomed with some fresh powder --- nice. 

49 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Looks like all their greens were groomed?  I’ll try to see if I can see the GPS data on when.

My guess is summit was groomed out of the gate at 4pm and then snow fell on top of it.  Which goes to the age old question if groomed and snow falls on it, do you remove it from the grooming list?  We used to get hammered calling stuff groomed when it then snows overnight and Guest Services gets bombarded with “you say 65 groomed trails and I couldn’t find one of them!”

Lynx, Polecat, Upper Catapult, Middle Wildcat and Bobcat are groomed with some fresh powder --- nice. 

There is no way polecat and upper catapult were groomed yesterday. No way. They were trashed. There were solid piles out there that are not created in a day. There was barely anyone there today. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Angus said:

Thank you. I don't do FB but have been trying to interpret from the Winni forum. I'm hopeful that I will get to skate some! Think I will be staying in the insulated/baseboard heated efficiency not the cottage this weekend given forecasted temps! 

Newfound had huge areas suitable for skating yesterday but last night snow ended that.  More light snow and showers will screw it up even further for this weekend.  Going to be bitter on the lakes especially Saturday

51 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

There is no way polecat and upper catapult were groomed yesterday. No way. They were trashed. There were solid piles out there that are not created in a day. There was barely anyone there today. 

Gotcha.  Yeah that’s interesting for sure.  I’ve got some feelers out to see if the GPS data is available.  I can see every cat pass at Stowe and what time it was made and by whom, ha.  Even snow depths under the cats. I love that technology.

3 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Gotcha.  Yeah that’s interesting for sure.  I’ve got some feelers out to see if the GPS data is available.  I can see every cat pass at Stowe and what time it was made and by whom, ha.  Even snow depths under the cats. I love that technology.

The mountain itself is great. Varied terrain, nice views, cool New England feel. Everyone was friendly too. No issues there. I was really intrigued by the various runs I did. Some neat stuff with the twists and turns and narrow chutes I like.

Nice lift setup with a high-speed quad servicing basically the entire mountain.

They just need to be more truthful with the grooming reports. They have enough snow to do it, IMO. I grew up skiing in the MA on nothing but 12 inches of man-made. Wildcat has enough snow compared to that! They just need to take care of it. It's OK if their deal is mostly ungroomed natural terrain, that's fine. Just don't lie on your website.

1 hour ago, PhineasC said:

The mountain itself is great. Varied terrain, nice views, cool New England feel. Everyone was friendly too. No issues there. I was really intrigued by the various runs I did. Some neat stuff with the twists and turns and narrow chutes I like.

Nice lift setup with a high-speed quad servicing basically the entire mountain.

They just need to be more truthful with the grooming reports. They have enough snow to do it, IMO. I grew up skiing in the MA on nothing but 12 inches of man-made. Wildcat has enough snow compared to that! They just need to take care of it. It's OK if their deal is mostly ungroomed natural terrain, that's fine. Just don't lie on your website.

So sad. Wildcat was one of my favorites for all the reasons you describe.