• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    LostInSomers
    Newest Member
    LostInSomers
George BM

September Banter 2020

Speaking of the crazy weather coming to Denver and environs, I am in northern Wyoming right now and would actually love to stay to see the snow on the mountains here on Monday/Tuesday, but my dad insists we get out of here ahead of it, so.... Anyone want to do some forecasting for the best way to drive back to DC from northern Wyoming? Can leave anytime starting early on Labor Day/tomorrow. My preference is to take I-90, but looking at the GFS and the NAM I'm not sure how far across South Dakota we can get before the precip starts drifting in. Could instead start off southeastward to I-80 and make it across Nebraska in dry weather, but the stuff around Iowa on Tuesday is vexxing me. Should I dip further south into Missouri? Or will the Iowa stuff be more spotty in the morning on Tuesday (would probably be into Illinois by noon, maybe?)

Actually now wishing we could get out of here today because the smoke from the Montana fires has started pouring in, and even inside I'm already coughing. 

It's a paradise out here, I tell you!

27 minutes ago, jacindc said:

Cough cough It's a cough paradise out here, Cough cough I tell you! Cough

Fix it...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, losetoa6 said:

Orioles magic!:weight_lift:

They hangin' near respectable.

Yankees look dead right now. Love to see them end up at the bottom with the Red Sox. Rays may run away with the division.

• Like 1

Looks like 4-6" for Denver metro on the Euro.

Accumulations should mainly be on the grass and trees in the metro area. Temps look to be 31-34 when the heaviest precip is falling, after several days well into the 90s.

53 minutes ago, CAPE said:

They hangin' near respectable.

Yankees looks dead right now. Love to see them end up at the bottom with the Red Sox. Rays may run away with the division.

I think the rays already are. 6.5 game lead with about 20 left.

1 hour ago, losetoa6 said:

Orioles magic!:weight_lift:

Kremer and Akin have both looked sharp so far.

Akin actually reminds me a little of Wei yin chen. 92 -94 mph fastball and a good curveball. Definitely has good velocity for a left hander.

• Like 1

The idea that Denver MAY get more snow this summer than my yard this winter is a bitter reality that I am oddly amused by.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Some modeling coming in  colder for Denver for tomorrow. Areas just west with a bit more elevation should get crushed decent .I thought about chasing but I got a tooth ache from hell I go in tomorrow to get root canaled and my transmission went up in my Buick Saturday.  So I have to pull it this week :axe:

• Sad 1

So I am planning a family trip to Bonzai pipeline December.  We are all learning to surf and we want to try out the winter swell in Hawaii!  

My questions are this:

What are the chances that the lift the 14 day quarantine travel ban by then?  

If the ban is still in place, how enforceable is it?  I see people getting arrested, but it looks like that is mostly idiots who post pictures of themselves on the beach on their twitter accounts.  Noone in our family has social media.. I have a strict rule against facebook/ twitter because I am afraid that I would say something dumb and get fired from my jobs.

For anyone who has been to Hawaii in the winter, are their places you can go that are manageable (ie 4-6 feet) when places like pipeline are firing off 10 plus?

What are the chances I can chase elevation snow?

1 hour ago, losetoa6 said:

Some modeling coming in  colder for Denver for tomorrow. Areas just west with a bit more elevation should get crushed decent .I thought about chasing but I got a tooth ache from hell I go in tomorrow to get root canaled and my transmission went up in my Buick Saturday.  So I have to pull it this week :axe:

UGH! I lost the tranny in MC last summer. Well, the front seal blew and then that cooked the TC. About 1100 bucks to fix right since it was apart. The old guy did a heck of a job, people brought cars there from all over. Sadly he passed away about 3 months after he fixed mine. He was 80 and STILL working on them! Course his son (whom I graduated HS with) is now running the place after being in the business with his dad for 30 years. Hope the tooth goes well!

12 minutes ago, wxdude64 said:

UGH! I lost the tranny in MC last summer. Well, the front seal blew and then that cooked the TC. About 1100 bucks to fix right since it was apart. The old guy did a heck of a job, people brought cars there from all over. Sadly he passed away about 3 months after he fixed mine. He was 80 and STILL working on them! Course his son (whom I graduated HS with) is now running the place after being in the business with his dad for 30 years. Hope the tooth goes well!

Yea. Many MC had a 2004r tranny . The Buick GN has a unique valve body though . Probably be $2000 + for me . Lots of billet internals and hardened stator etc. 

Btw...popping 5 advil for the tooth every 4 hours lol.

• Like 1

So my nephew is in the Army and recently moved from Florida to Colorado Springs.  His nice Dodge Charger got totaled by baseball sized hail a few weeks ago.  Now he's getting treated to highs in the low 90s today with several inches of snow tomorrow and tomorrow night.  Man that climate is nuts!

Imagine being at a cookout in Denver this afternoon in the low 90s knowing that it will be snowing when you wake up tomorrow.  Wow.

6 hours ago, JakkelWx said:

I know exactly how that old man felt.  And I'm glad that he wasn't injured.

4 hours ago, BlizzardNole said:

So my nephew is in the Army and recently moved from Florida to Colorado Springs.  His nice Dodge Charger got totaled by baseball sized hail a few weeks ago.  Now he's getting treated to highs in the low 90s today with several inches of snow tomorrow and tomorrow night.  Man that climate is nuts!

Imagine being at a cookout in Denver this afternoon in the low 90s knowing that it will be snowing when you wake up tomorrow.  Wow.

The webcams should be fun tv tomorrow.

• Like 1

Warmer today, but still nice. Got the hydraulic log splitter out, and split and stacked the wood from the tree I cut down last fall.  Next victim is the tree that blew down in that isolated severe storm back in July.

Taking a break now. 120 time. :bike:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I just purchased the Tempest weather station from Weatherflow. The reviews are pretty good and the price is very reasonable at $330. You can enter the discount code, Tempest10off, which saves 10% through Oct 1 I believe. That pays for better shipping.

I intend to link the station via their Wi-Fi hub to my Nest thermometer and eventually into Wunderground, which will be nice because we seem to have a bit of a data hole in the Reisterstown area.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Mrs.J said:

Well after a smooth sailing virtual experience for the girls last week for school, with all systems going on today it is a cluster****. Some kids are able to get on, mine are not. No Schoology or Google Meets are able to open.

Just got notification from the school through the Parent support group on Schoology messaging that it is a known issue, as the parent server is not experiencing issues today, and teachers are aware of it. Loudoun Co VA just started today and they are a large system. This is their first year using the same online platform as us. I have a feeling that because of that is why Frederick Co is experiencing the issues we are having. 

Update: Both girls are in school! Quick fix from their online program. 

Schools are being asked to change ~200 years of instruction practice in under 3 months. We're also finding out what parts of the country had inequitable access to reliable Internet.

1 minute ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Schools are being asked to change ~200 years of instruction practice in under 3 months. We're also finding out what parts of the country had inequitable access to reliable Internet.

Yea I expected issues especially today with a lot of systems going on as their first day today. We live 1/4 mile from my girls school which has a brand new tower installed on the property. I believe it was a server issue most likely with the online platform with this issue. Loudoun's first day is today and they are now using the same platform as Frederick. I think the western part of Frederick Co. might be on the same servers as Loudoun and we went down over here. 

All back up and running now though. School system was super quick with getting the issue resolved with the online platform. Much better communication than back in the spring. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mrs.J said:

Yea I expected issues especially today with a lot of systems going on as their first day today. We live 1/4 mile from my girls school which has a brand new tower installed on the property. I believe it was a server issue most likely with the online platform with this issue. Loudoun's first day is today and they are now using the same platform as Frederick. I think the western part of Frederick Co. might be on the same servers as Loudoun and we went down over here. 

All back up and running now though. School system was super quick with getting the issue resolved with the online platform. Much better communication than back in the spring. 

FCPS seems to be pretty on the ball. Other jurisdictions in MD have been looking to them as kind of the state leader in this rapid transition to online education. What's going to be interesting is to see what sticks around for winter days. I can certainly see the 3" - 6" storms become online learning days to cut down the issues. What's going to be interesting are events where there is a forecast of more widespread power or Internet outages, such as ice storms in central or western MD and schools are just closed outright.  

• Like 1

our AC died yesterday. So between juggling my work schedule, Mr Maps schedule, the kid's schedule, now we have to also wrangle dogs from the HVAC guy who shows up in 30 minutes.

Happy First day of school! lol is it happy hour yet?

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

FCPS seems to be pretty on the ball. Other jurisdictions in MD have been looking to them as kind of the state leader in this rapid transition to online education. What's going to be interesting is to see what sticks around for winter days. I can certainly see the 3" - 6" storms become online learning days to cut down the issues. What's going to be interesting are events where there is a forecast of more widespread power or Internet outages, such as ice storms in central or western MD and schools are just closed outright.  

Did not know that. FCPS has been using Schoology for the last 2 years. The older Miss J's freshman year certain teachers at the HS level were chosen to use it 100% in their classrooms. Her French teacher was one of those teachers. All MS and HS the year after that went to using it. So those kids and families are familiar with it. ES schools just transitioned to it this year. 

Yes I am curious about snow days from now on and how they will be handled. I am aware of all the HS's in Frederick now have cell towers installed on their grounds and that has helped a lot with in school online access. Not sure about the tower situation around the county for more rural areas. Although out of 44,000 students only around 800 were not able to get logged on this past spring even with a hot spot. So the tower situation for those without cable or fiber may be better than I would have thought. 

2 minutes ago, mappy said:

our AC died yesterday. So between juggling my work schedule, Mr Maps schedule, the kid's schedule, now we have to also wrangle dogs from the HVAC guy who shows up in 30 minutes.

Sorry to hear about your AC.  Hope the HVAC guy can do the needy.  FWIW, in most cases the issue with AC failures is a bad start capacitor on the outside compressor unit.  The start capacitor is normally a round or oblong silver thing about 5 inches long with terminals on one end.  You can get one at Grainger or online (Amazon or Ebay) for about $20-$30.  Substantial savings over the HVAC guy.  Need to know the rating requirements, which is stamped on the outside of the capacitor.  

Easy way to tell if the capacitor is fried is to look at the top end where the terminals are.  If there's a bulge on the end, and/or signs of any liquid on the outside the capacitor case, it's bad.  Likewise, if you put a voltmeter on the capacitor terminals and get an open reading, it's bad.  It is a 5 min job to swap out the capacitors, but make sure you electrically disconnect the main electric service to the AC unit before opening the case.  It is 240VAC, which is unforgiving.  

I normally keep an extra capacitor on hand for emergencies.  Didn't have one on hand when our AC went out on the afternoon of 03 July just before the long weekend.  Got ahold of someone who responded in an hour - to the tune of $200+.  Ouch.  Hope your fix today easier on the wallet.  

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, RDM said:

Sorry to hear about your AC.  Hope the HVAC guy can do the needy.  FWIW, in most cases the issue with AC failures is a bad start capacitor on the outside compressor unit.  The start capacitor is normally a round or oblong silver thing about 5 inches long with terminals on one end.  You can get one at Grainger or online (Amazon or Ebay) for about $20-$30.  Substantial savings over the HVAC guy.  Need to know the rating requirements, which is stamped on the outside of the capacitor.  

Easy way to tell if the capacitor is fried is to look at the top end where the terminals are.  If there's a bulge on the end, and/or signs of any liquid on the outside the capacitor case, it's bad.  Likewise, if you put a voltmeter on the capacitor terminals and get an open reading, it's bad.  It is a 5 min job to swap out the capacitors, but make sure you electrically disconnect the main electric service to the AC unit before opening the case.  It is 240VAC, which is unforgiving.  

I normally keep an extra capacitor on hand for emergencies.  Didn't have one on hand when our AC went out on the afternoon of 03 July just before the long weekend.  Got ahold of someone who responded in an hour - to the tune of $200+.  Ouch.  Hope your fix today easier on the wallet.  

Thanks for the information! Not sure yet what the issue is, HVAC is working on it now. I'm in charge of keeping dogs sane and kiddo on track with school while Mr. Map deals with the HVAC. 

Takes a village!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mappy said:

Yea I agree with @RDM. Ours stopped last month. We have a maintenance plan so did not have to pay the after hour rates and got a discount on labor. But it was just a bad insulator. Replaced and all was good. Hope your fix is easy and quick.