• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yuyuer0221
    Newest Member
    yuyuer0221

Coronavirus

Just now, Snowstorms said:

28 day closure. Schools, daycare and liquor stores remain open too. But capacity in the stores open will be reduced to 50% at a time. 

THIS!!! THIS IS WHAT THE UNITED STATES NEEDS TO DO!!!

Italy is peaking at 35,000 cases/day. Adjusted to US Population that's 192,000. About 20,000/day (~12%) above the current 7-day case average for the US. So our infection rate is almost as bad as Italy with 5.5x the population.

Also, data from southern U.S. and some other countries is suggesting strong seasonality influenced by latitude but not necessarily temperature dependent I know UV radiation flux has been brought up before. Would  partially explain why places like LA County, SE Texas/Louisiana and Florida was now spiking again. Other more southern latitude N. hemisphere countries (e.g. Turkey, Pakistan) have starting spiking at the same time. doubt that is coincidence.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, zinski1990 said:

That's the biggest problem. Too many entitled people thinking nothing going to happen to them

Or people want to pay their bills? This is their livelihood, and there is no PPP. They worked 10, 20, 30 years to build up these businesses to have it taken away from them this year. Talk to me when you can't afford groceries for your kids or to keep your heat and water on. 

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

6 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Or people want to pay their bills? This is their livelihood, and there is no PPP. They worked 10, 20, 30 years to build up these businesses to have it taken away from them this year. Talk to me when you can't afford groceries for your kids or to keep your heat and water on. 

This is the result of broken govt. No one should have to choose between death/health and financial ruin. 

• Like 3

Just now, OSUmetstud said:

This is the result of broken govt. No one should have to choose between death/health and financial ruin. 

I agree. But that is the choice we are at right now unfortunately. Must be nice to be in congress and leave for thanksgiving break 10 days before its even here while earning 175k a year working a few hours a week while the American people struggle. 

• Weenie 1

This economy vs. health has been debated ad nauseam. No one here is going to change anyone else's mind. 

A lockdown will be the death knell for thousands of businesses, since there is no government support. It would also drive millions into bankruptcy. The problem that with nothing being done other than "mandates" and a vaccine being several months away, many of these businesses will go under anyway, as customer traffic will be reduced due to people not venturing out with the threat of infection. As these businesses close, unemployment will once again increase.

So, until Congress gets off of their duffs and passes some financial assistance legislation, we will be stuck with the choice of a slow agonizing spiral into depression or a quick economic dagger. As I see it, those are our choices for now.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

I think we're about 3 weeks away from 3000 deaths per day on average. The 21 day lagged CFR has been running near 1.8 percent or so. 

Did some reading and it seems the best match is anywhere between a 16 to 21 day lag (how much lag depends on individual states and other factors). Even a conservative 16-day lag gives you 1.5-1.6% CFR. That is 2500+/day in by 2nd week in December. Unfortunately its going to get ugly in a hurry, what you saw this week is just the start I am afraid.

This thread is getting much to political, btw.

• Like 1

Less cases today in IN than last Saturday, but there were 7000 fewer tests.  Either because of testing issues or less people feeling the need to get one.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Less cases today in IN than last Saturday, but there were 7000 fewer tests.  Either because of testing issues or less people feeling the need to get one.

Minnesota has much than last Saturday too, but with similar number of tests. Multiple states in the region are showing some signs of a plateau in cases and positivity.

PA is up from last Saturday, but many state in OH Valley/upper Midwest are down significantly from last Saturday so far. ND, MN, IN all down. Signs of at least a short term peak in the region, and should help the national numbers to start to stabilize. not sure if the warm weather a couple weeks back is factor. Although it hasnt helped PA yet.Of course with weather turned colder again and Thanksgiving next week....

I know that none of us are surprised at this. But it’s just so breathtaking how incompetent and uncaring he is. He’s just gonna play golf, watch TV, eat fast food, and tweet during his last months, and do nothing to help countless millions of Americans who are in a real bad place. Because we didn’t vote for him. What a worthless asshole.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, WaryWarren said:

I know that none of us are surprised at this. But it’s just so breathtaking how incompetent and uncaring he is. He’s just gonna play golf, watch TV, eat fast food, and tweet during his last months, and do nothing to help countless millions of Americans who are in a real bad place. Because we didn’t vote for him. What a worthless asshole.

I'm just at a loss for words and to top it off congress is on vacation

The Ohio Department of Health reports 7,863 new COVID-19 cases with 260 more hospitalizations and 29 more deaths since Friday.

Recently, system errors, backlogs of positive antigen tests that need to be confirmed, and staff shortages due to COVID-19 infections have led to the delay of the daily coronavirus update. Today's update is pending thousands of test results meaning the real number of new cases is likely higher.

At this point it's no longer newsworthy that the federal government is not stepping up to address the rapidly worsening situation with the virus.  Rather, it would be newsworthy if they did.  Unfortunately it was not hard to forsee this happening in the post-election period.  Call your Senators and put pressure on them to get something done.  At least it has a small chance of working, unlike bemoaning it on a message board.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

Stores are packed.

As expected, fatmans guidelines are not being followed.

That's great news. Hopefully people spending money will help stimulate the economy.

• Weenie 1

Biden is essentially the president at this point. Who cares if Trump is golfing or whatever ? Biden is our leader now. From now on everything bad that happens i will hold Biden accountable.

• Haha 1
  • Weenie 5

Biden is essentially the president at this point. Who cares if Trump is golfing or whatever ? Biden is our leader now. From now on everything bad that happens i will hold Biden accountable.

lol

• Like 2

Nationally even if this sub forum area stabilizes some cases aren't going to drop nationally if the biggest states plus places in the south and east coast keep spiking. Three states in particular are California, Florida and Texas. The pullback in CA was absolutely necessary, their trajectory right now is a bit scary (but still not bad per capita). West Texas is in the worst shape anywhere in the country. Multiple cities/counties are asking for temporary morgues, but they cant do a single thing locally to try to contain the situation.

2 hours ago, WaryWarren said:

I realize he is an easy target right now, but what would you like him to do?   Your governor is the one to mandate masks, stay at home orders, open/close indoor dining bars etc. A stimulus package should be the top priority for congress. 

• Weenie 3