• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

My cousin the hospital administrator is getting the vaccine in a few weeks.  She had the option of getting it this week but opted to go in another group.  It is being done in phases so as to not vaccinate everyone at once in case people need to take a day or two off of work.  She gets the flu shot but even she is a little bit nervous about the covid vaccine.  I think it's an understandable feeling with something that is new, even though vaccines in general aren't new of course.

Numbers are continuing to come down in IN/IL/MI/WI/MN. Thanksgiving holiday didn't seem to impact infection curve much here. Hospitalizations are falling in the region albeit slowly. States south and east of the region are still rising. Nationwide we are probably entering a broad peak. Once CA stabilizes (should be soon) we should peak nationwide. But its going to be a brutal 4-6 weeks.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, dan11295 said:

Numbers are continuing to come down in IN/IL/MI/WI/MN. Thanksgiving holiday didn't seem to impact infection curve much here. Hospitalizations are falling in the region albeit slowly. States south and east of the region are still rising. Nationwide we are probably entering a broad peak. Once CA stabilizes (should be soon) we should peak nationwide. But its going to be a brutal 4-6 weeks.

California worries me. Hopefully its mostly youth that are getting infected 

2 hours ago, dan11295 said:

rt.live updated with new values.  Here they are for the states you mentioned:

CA:  1.16

IN:  1.02

WI:  0.98

MI:  0.96

MN:  0.96

IL:  0.95

Interesting to see the Midwest slowly dropping overall even with Thanksgiving (but it hasn't been enough to offset the rises in other parts of the country).  Really makes you think about all the factors at play.  More hunkering down?  More mask wearing/hand sanitizing?  Stricter admission criteria into hospitals?  Some threshold being reached where enough people have already been infected and mostly taken out of the "pool" for now, thus cutting into transmission rates?  Maybe a combination of things. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Interesting to see the Midwest slowly dropping overall even with Thanksgiving (but it hasn't been enough to offset the rises in other parts of the country).  Really makes you think about all the factors at play.  More hunkering down?  More mask wearing/hand sanitizing?  Stricter admission criteria into hospitals?  Some threshold being reached where enough people have already been infected and mostly taken out of the "pool" for now, thus cutting into transmission rates?  Maybe a combination of things. 

Certainly not the apocalypse many feared in the Midwest over the Thanksgiving time period.

No idea how to find out, but I'd be curious to know if there has been any drop in indoor dining/bars in Indiana in the past few weeks.  Like a self-imposed avoidance since they are mostly allowed to be at 100%.  There are a few counties that have capacity limits though, like Marion (Indianapolis) and I think Allen (Ft. Wayne) so wouldn't be fair to look at those.

Because many people were taking vacation and not at work. As I’ve said before, the worst spread is happening at manufacturing facilities and warehouses.

It’s what’s helped our company quite a bit, people using up vacation time has stopped a lot of employees from catching it

Interesting thought exercise to play out what 2021 may look like.  Obviously would expect an overall downward trend (but painfully slow for a while) with more and more people getting vaccinated and then seasonality eventually helping out.  

This thing is very opportunistic though, so I wouldn't expect that we get through 2021 without some flare-ups in the US.  A time to watch is if/when places lift the mask mandates and really fully reopen with more people returning to in-person work, fans packing stadiums, etc.

3 minutes ago, StormfanaticInd said:

Another wildcard for sure. By time we get everyone vaccinated we may have to vaccinate again for a new mutation. Hopefully a weaker mutation 

We may have to vaccinate all over again even without significant mutations.  At this point we have no idea how long that protection from the vaccine will last.  The trial groups that received it months ago will have to be monitored for decreasing immunity.

Even with vaccination increasing, I would expect some outbreaks arise once we truly go back to normal, i.e. packed stadiums, concerts, conferences.  As vaccination levels increase, restrictions will decrease - which, for a while, will probably be counteracting forces that keep case counts relatively high for a while.

Eradication of the virus is not going to happen. What most likely happens is at some point the virus adapts to humans more and will become endemic like other coronaviruses. It will then  generally produce mild symptoms in most people and wont need a vaccine for it. I.e. it WILL become "another cold". This could take many years. The 1890 pandemic which has been  postulated as being caused by coronavirus in a couple of papers, had waves over 4-5 years. By the way, the mortality pattern of that event closely resembled Covid.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/29336941/

"Age-specific excess mortality rates displayed a J-shape pattern, with school children aged 5-14 years experiencing the lowest respiratory excess death rates (8.8 excess respiratory deaths per 10,000), whereas older populations aged greater than or equal to 70 years had the highest rates (367.9 per 10,000)"

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dan11295 said:

Eradication of the virus is not going to happen. What most likely happens is at some point the virus adapts to humans more and will become endemic like other coronaviruses. It will then  generally produce mild symptoms in most people and wont need a vaccine for it. I.e. it WILL become "another cold". This could take many years. The 1890 pandemic which has been  postulated as being caused by coronavirus in a couple of papers, had waves over 4-5 years. By the way, the mortality pattern of that event closely resembled Covid.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/29336941/

"Age-specific excess mortality rates displayed a J-shape pattern, with school children aged 5-14 years experiencing the lowest respiratory excess death rates (8.8 excess respiratory deaths per 10,000), whereas older populations aged greater than or equal to 70 years had the highest rates (367.9 per 10,000)"

Interesting post. While I believe the vaccine is excellent news, I also think people need to get their heads around the fact that complete eradication of this virus is likely not going to happen.

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

Interesting thought exercise to play out what 2021 may look like.  Obviously would expect an overall downward trend (but painfully slow for a while) with more and more people getting vaccinated and then seasonality eventually helping out.  

This thing is very opportunistic though, so I wouldn't expect that we get through 2021 without some flare-ups in the US.  A time to watch is if/when places lift the mask mandates and really fully reopen with more people returning to in-person work, fans packing stadiums, etc.

When do you see people actually being able to pack sports stadiums? I have my doubts for the 2021 NHL/MLB seasons.

5 minutes ago, Ottawa Blizzard said:

When do you see people actually being able to pack sports stadiums? I have my doubts for the 2021 NHL/MLB seasons.

Pack in, as in 100% capacity?  Tough to say as it could vary by state/location.  I don't think stadiums will all of the sudden go to 100%.  Probably start out with some capacity restrictions and then gradually increase attendance over time.

I wonder when international travel will be permitted again? Canada's border - land border, that is, - has been closed since mid March. 14 day quarantine for anyone arriving in the country (except truckers). I'm thinking restrictions may be lifted by July, but only if this vaccine has the desired effect.

2 hours ago, StormfanaticInd said:

Another wildcard for sure. By time we get everyone vaccinated we may have to vaccinate again for a new mutation. Hopefully a weaker mutation 

I think its a misconception that most mutations are more virulent. Thought the coronavirus group were relatively stable anyways and if anything over time mutations would favor less virulent strains. Selection would be to enhance and propagate the virus as much as possible not to kill the host quicker.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Between some semblance of herd immunity and 20-25 million vaccines per month each month, we should be able to fully open up by sometime in the April-July window. NFL season should feature 100% fan attendance by first week of September.

Im thinking that NHL and NBA playoffs have some fans in the stands. MLB is the first one to most likely do the slow build. Maybe 25% in April, 50% May, 75% June and full by July. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, fujiwara79 said:

technically florida allows 100% occupancy at sports venues, but nobody has tried to do that.

Nope, but Cleveland tonight on MNF looked the most packed out of any stadium I've seen yet. My one friend kept saying in the summer the NFL won't allow any fans and I said I bet fans go if allowed. That argument has now turned into well I didnt think they'd be dumb enough. Moving the goal posts as I never agreed on the smartness of the idea. 

We can laugh now at full MLB stadiums in mid/late summer because it sounds dumb but if the NFL and College Football are doing 5-30K fans in the midst of the worst part of the entire pandemic I don't know how you don't think some MLB teams will be going full steam ahead. By July even Canada is supposed to be well over 50% vaccinated and with the warmer weather (as Canadians saw this past summer) the numbers will plummet.