• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    jammcohr
    Newest Member
    jammcohr

March Banter 2020

13 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Damn I am Jonesing for steamed crabs now. Costas Inn crab meet up?

Sure If you’re payin’ :lol:

6 hours ago, C.A.P.E. said:

@losetoa6 and @showmethesnow should try this one if they haven't yet.

Pretty sure @mattie g and @nw baltimore wx, and probably @Scraff have. It has a lot of good things goin' on.

Totally not paying attention in here. What’s wrong with me!? I missed happy hour talk. Woot Stout. Tasty! Have had many times. And now I want crabs! At least my fries tonight had Old Bay on them. Close enough I suppose. :lol:

• Haha 1

Around DC. spring has sprung.

Daffodils in sunny spots are already out.  Small trees, brambles and other bushes started leafing last week, and now the star magnolias and tulip poplar trees are joining the party.

3 minutes ago, jonjon said:

When do you lowlanders start mowing your lawns?

February. Most of us are on the third or fourth cut

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Stormpc said:

February. Most of us are on the third or fourth cut

Wow!

When is the last cut of the season normally?

Usually the last cut is just after Halloween. The ground never froze more than a few days back in early December I think. I have Bermuda grass down here on the coast so it's still dormant but ready to pop. However the mixed in Rye and weeds have been growing all winter long.

14 minutes ago, Stormpc said:

Usually the last cut is just after Halloween. The ground never froze more than a few days back in early December I think. I have Bermuda grass down here on the coast so it's still dormant but ready to pop. However the mixed in Rye and weeds have been growing all winter long.

That is a nice long grass growing season!

I'm a lawn freak and look forward to caring for it and all my landscaping every spring.  But my first full cut isn't until around May 1st with the last cut in early October.  I'm usually a bit burnt out by October, so it works out well.  Not sure I'd be such a die hard if my season was a few months longer every year.

1 hour ago, jonjon said:

Here in Winchester it’s usually around mid April. This year may be early though. Couple of years ago I didn’t mow until the first week of May

1 hour ago, jonjon said:

Everything is early this year, but mostly chickweed and some other weeds in my case. Grass is still dormant. I probably wont mow until the very end of the month. I am in the woods out in the hinterlands so that usually puts me behind the urban folks with the extra added warmth there.

Its a stout kind of a weekend for me. Today I am into the Founders CBS. Have not had this in a while, but it is outstanding- even better than I remembered.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stormpc said:

I mow into early Dec just to mulch the leaves. Grass is pretty much done here usually by mid to late October. I normally don't mow in the Spring until mid April, but it may be a couple weeks early this year.

7 hours ago, Scraff said:

Caps huge win. Hi @yoda

Eta: Oh and the Mountaineers beat Baylor. Great day!

Congrats on the win today... Penguins didn't come to play in the 1st period and it cost them

• Like 2

@C.A.P.E. @losetoa6

Got a chance to try a few stouts while I was up at Mohegan Sun Pocono. Place called the Rustic Kitchen which had 6 to choose from, most of which I was not familiar with. An aside but the food was great here and reasonably priced.

Starter was the Great Lakes Blackout at 9.9% and a price tag of $8.00. This is the first time I have tried it and found it to be a pretty good beer. I am guessing you both have tried this one because I vaguely remember some comments on it.

stout1.thumb.gif.0c5909e894a6e024e0b12a9fb699533a.gif

The second beer I had was the Rusty Rail Brewing, Luminous White Chocolate & Macadamia Golden Stout with 8% alcohol and a price tag of $9. Had high expectations but needless to say it was a major disappointment. Not sure how they were even calling it a stout. Waitress tried a shot of it as well and she wasn't impressed either. She offered to exchange it out with another and I wish I had because my objective of trying all 6 stouts wasn't looking too good considering I already had a decent buzz from the first one. (considering 15-20 years ago I could drink anyone under the table it is kind of disheartening realizing that I am now a light weight :( )

stout2.thumb.gif.47b18f17d3b52e3cc78fa8ed43db77fb.gif

The last beer I had was a Stone Xocoveza Hot Chocolate stout with 8.1% and a price tag of $8. It was a decent enough beer with a somewhat unique taste. Ingredients included coffee, Pasilla peppers, vanilla and nutmeg. Not sure I would spend 8$ on it again but I wouldn't refuse 1 if it was given to me.

stout3.thumb.gif.8e6922eb50741033f09ec33e307889f3.gif

Tell you what, I had a pretty good buzz going at that point. Kept looking at the other stouts but common sense kicked in. And before you tally up the costs of the 3 beers ($23) and decide I am somewhat bluffing about being a cheap SOB... I went during Happy Hour where drinks were half price as well as appetizers. Add in a $15 dollar food voucher and I paid very little for my food and drink. Of course my wife had to ruin my frugal tendencies by ordering a $31 dollar meal and $12 drink that wasn't included in the Happy Hour. :lol:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, C.A.P.E. said:

With 60s and even 70s over next five days, one might say the back of winter is broken. Except winter fell and broke its back months ago.

Yea...it fell and couldn't get back up lol:lol:

Actually all winter there never was any true anomalous warmth at least up this way . I remember one day hitting 64 and that's it . Just a persistent bad pattern and extreme bad luck . Still a couple more weeks of winter tracking for me so I'll see it to the official end as always .

11 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I knew things were bad when I woke up to back to back posts from centralvanats and Mersky. 

At least today your boss isnt paying you to post on here today.  Sadly tomorrow you rip him off again 

1 minute ago, losetoa6 said:

Yea...it fell and couldn't get back up lol:lol:

Actually all winter there never was any true anomalous warmth at least up this way . I remember one day hitting 64 and that's it . Just a persistent bad pattern and extreme bad luck . Still a couple more weeks of winter tracking for me so I'll see it to the official end .

No it wasn't torchy at all. The pattern has simply been persistently the antithesis for what we need for snow here. Lots of NW tracking mild to chilly rain events followed by transient dry and cold.

21 hours ago, nj2va said:

By far best Caps have played in a period since January.  3-0 late in the first vs the Pens.

Great too see. Hopefully they can get it going by playoffs

2 hours ago, Mersky said:

At least today your boss isnt paying you to post on here today.  Sadly tomorrow you rip him off again 

At least I’m actually good at my jobs. 

I knew things were bad when I woke up to back to back posts from centralvanats and Mersky. 
Hayoooo, nice. What's that job that your good at? Interpreting weather models that never materialize. Just let your smartphone weather app do the thinking for you. Haha I'm done till November. Next winter season will be better I've looked at the models. O.B.T.U.S.E.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

At least I’m actually good at my jobs. 

Lol how can you be good when you post here all day long?? Aren’t you a teacher? 

• Like 1