• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Upstate/Eastern New York

Agree on Corona being under appreciated right now. I want to minimize it but...I've read some things out of China (published prelim studies) that aren't comforting. 2 strains thought to he out there now. The most prevalent one being less severe at the moment. But for groups that are severely impacted long term lung damage and significant immune system harm is indicated. Much more to be discovered but this isn't common flu. And no inoculation likely for probably 6-12 months at best.

Also, italian MDs indicate that 10% of those hospitalized require significant treatment...respiration and advanced treatment. 

• Sad 1

Oh, come on...just because some of us choose not to participate in political discussion or mockery, doesn't mean we're "Anti-Trump" or "Pro-Trump."

Politics bashing and grouping individuals in "camps" just leads to disdain...nothing productive.

Let's all talk about something we can agree on (mostly)...this winter sucks. :P

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

Agree on Corona being under appreciated right now. I want to minimize it but...I've read some things out of China (published prelim studies) that aren't comforting. 2 strains thought to he out there now. The most prevalent one being less severe at the moment. But for groups that are severely impacted long term lung damage and significant immune system harm is indicated. Much more to be discovered but this isn't common flu. And no inoculation likely for probably 6-12 months at best.

Also, italian MDs indicate that 10% of those hospitalized require significant treatment...respiration and advanced treatment. 

The mortality rate is really only hitting those 65 and older. Italy’s population is very old and retirement homes are where 90% of the deaths are occurring.  A friend of mine is a PHD in pharm. She is in charge of a large group of scientist in charge of creating and testing medicines. This is what she told me today. 

So even though the number of cases increased fast with COVID-19, the good news is the mortality is still low and more specific to the elderly, a population that can hopefully be targeted for protection from transmission. The other thing I’ve thought of is it’s good that this virus has become so prevalent so quickly in the sense that many trials testing vaccines have already begun. This means in theory they’ll be available when we need them the most. I’ll send you a short FDA article I found interesting

https://www.fdamap.com/fda-counters-coronavirus-based-on-the-realities-of-the-connected-world.html

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DeltaT13 said:

Disagree.  COVID-19 is a scary virus.  It's incredibly contagious compared to similar viruses and far more deadly.  The flu virus typically has a mortality rate of .05 to .1%, COVID-19 is somewhere between 2-3%.  Case in point, In one of the worst seasons (2018) for flu it killed 30 people in one week in Italy with 832,000 infected. Coronavirus just killed 41 individuals in a single day within the same population with only 3858 infection cases.  That's an astounding statistic.

Additionally, subsequent research of SAR's patients found that nearly all of the cases that advanced to pneumonia suffered PERMANENT lung damage.  This same permanent damage is already being seen in recovered cases of COVID-19.  

The US medical system is nearly at full capacity on a normal day.  Just think how long you typically wait at the ER.  Now imagine thousands upon thousands of additional highly contagious people flooding the hospitals.  It's going to be a nightmare.

BuffaloWeather, I would be surprised if you can still make this New Zealand trip.  Pulling for you though..

Let's compare this to H1N1 as you mentioned.  It's apples and oranges, this thing is a killer.

Capture.thumb.JPG.5be50475b819fff355bfa815821289d7.JPG

Luckily my chase sapphire card has travel insurance. I’ve never had to use it, so not sure how it works? But I plan on going unless there is a required quarantine in NZL or on my way back in USA.  

I’m still not sold on this whole virus scare. So sick of hearing about it everywhere, news, work, every other post on Facebook.  Guess we’ll have to really just wait and see if it spreads here and just how bad.  The news is just going too crazy with all the hype and over reporting.  It’s good to keep us informed but man they just want to see us all panic.  Stores are wiped on hand sanitizer, disinfectant wipes, starting to hoard water, it’s just crazy.  Plus it bugs me none of our government officials are doing anything except blaming each other.  Would think this is the time for them to work together and put the action plan in place.  Makes me wonder if we don’t really have a National contingency plan for a pandemic virus outbreak.  While it’s just getting going the numbers still pale in comparison.  Last year in just the US (stats are per the CDC website) seasonal influenza infected 35 million (roughy 10%) of the country contracted it.  Of that 500,000 required hospital admission and 35,000 then died.  So even with a low death rate virus that has a very effective vaccine readily available and administered to a large percent of the population, the seasonal flu still kills 95 people each day in the US.  Once this thing gets up to 100 deaths a day here then I’ll get nervous.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, rochesterdave said:

The Trump guy of the bunch chimes in

There are plenty of Trump supporters who don’t feel the need to offer crackpot, anti-science theories. But enough is enough — reading his posts makes this site less informative to me, so I’m just going to block him. I won’t miss the anti-science comments and I won’t miss the IMBY weather hype.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

I’m still not sold on this whole virus scare. So sick of hearing about it everywhere, news, work, every other post on Facebook.  Guess we’ll have to really just wait and see if it spreads here and just how bad.  The news is just going too crazy with all the hype and over reporting.  It’s good to keep us informed but man they just want to see us all panic.  Stores are wiped on hand sanitizer, disinfectant wipes, starting to hoard water, it’s just crazy.  Plus it bugs me none of our government officials are doing anything except blaming each other.  Would think this is the time for them to work together and put the action plan in place.  Makes me wonder if we don’t really have a National contingency plan for a pandemic virus outbreak.  While it’s just getting going the numbers still pale in comparison.  Last year in just the US (stats are per the CDC website) seasonal influenza infected 35 million (roughy 10%) of the country contracted it.  Of that 500,000 required hospital admission and 35,000 then died.  So even with a low death rate virus that has a very effective vaccine readily available and administered to a large percent of the population, the seasonal flu still kills 95 people each day in the US.  Once this thing gets up to 100 deaths a day here then I’ll get nervous.  

The hype is a bit much, but there’s enough to be concerned about. You’re right though — people don’t treat the flu with the seriousness it deserves. I wish people had a fraction of their current obsession with Purell and hand washing every winter.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, tim123 said:

Man made. 

Weeks ago, I read the original "analysis" that offered this as a possibility.  I like a good conspiracy theory as much as the next person.  ;) It was interesting but wholly based on circumstantial evidence, requiring numerous dots to be connected, which the author(s) acknowledged.  But I've also read analysis by smart people in biochem/virology who have concluded that it is far more likely to have a zoonotic origin, not man made. Nothing is 100% certain right now, and it probably doesn't matter in the end, but I certainly wouldn't get wrapped up in believing the more outlandish claims regarding its origin.  What is real is the growing economic impact that has markets spooked.   Nuff said. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

Weeks ago, I read the original "analysis" that offered this as a possibility.  I like a good conspiracy theory as much as the next person.  ;) It was interesting but wholly based on circumstantial evidence, requiring numerous dots to be connected, which the author(s) acknowledged.  But I've also read analysis by smart people in biochem/virology who have concluded that it is far more likely to have a zoonotic origin, not man made. Nothing is 100% certain right now, and it probably doesn't matter in the end, but I certainly wouldn't get wrapped up in believing the more outlandish claims regarding its origin.  What is real is the growing economic impact that has markets spooked.   Nuff said. 

I mean I can see it. Chinese citizens were trying to have a revolution against communism. The riots the last few months were getting international attention. A virus that puts everyone in containment and off the street puts a end to that pretty quickly. That country is messed up, thousands go missing each year undocumented. Anything is possibly in a corrupt government. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I mean I can see it. Chinese citizens were trying to have a revolution against communism. The riots the last few months were getting international attention. A virus that puts everyone in containment and off the street puts a end to that pretty quickly. That country is messed up, thousands go missing each year undocumented. Anything is possibly in a corrupt government. 

I hadn't thought about that angle. The original articles that got everyone spun up (and Zerohedge a TWTR ban) didn't hit the political angle but rather laid out a scenario where a manufactured virus was possibly inadvertently released from a level 4 Virology lab located ~20 mi. from Wuhan. China's less than inspiring industrial safety record makes that a plausible scenario.  Certain Chinese virologists have also been working on bat virus research in North America / China and have published peer reviewed studies in medical journals. Those are more or less facts. Beyond that...buyer beware.  

Where the snow? Sun is out...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Or they created it out of fear of Greta. Air Pollution is down drastically since the outbreak. 

kidding of course...

• Haha 1

My work just notified me if I travel to a country on the CDC list there is a 2 week mandatory quarantine. They also stated if I go to a country and it gets added to the list while I am there, there is a 2 week quarantine. The 2 weeks is taking from your PTO time, unless the country gets added while you're there in which case its 1 week PTO, 1 week short term disability. Hoping NZL doesn't get added in April. 

• Sad 2