Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The 2020 Lesco & Lawn Thread

Damage In Tolland

38 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Is it too early to throw some seed down?

No real cold weather coming in. Check your soil temps. I like low 50s, just takes longer to germinate. I'd rather go early and have less germination but lasting than later in spring and have it all burn up in July. 

2 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Is it too early to throw some seed down?

Just going to have to watch it going into summer, especially if its DIT special with HHH throughout.  I think you mentioned being on a well, so need to watch running that dry--you most likely will need to water through summer.  Fall seeding is definitely a better option if you can wait, but just make sure to not let the seed dry out if your seeding now or in fall--constantly moist.

51 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Just going to have to watch it going into summer, especially if its DIT special with HHH throughout.  I think you mentioned being on a well, so need to watch running that dry--you most likely will need to water through summer.  Fall seeding is definitely a better option if you can wait, but just make sure to not let the seed dry out if your seeding now or in fall--constantly moist.

Yeah I think that was issue last spring.... it got hot pretty fast and just kind of burnt out. All my neighbors are on wells and they all have irrigation and run it daily, so I’m less concerned about running the well dry. I’m the only house on the street without irrigation, so keeping it wet is going to be the challenge 

2 hours ago, backedgeapproaching said:

I did a bunch of reseeding yesterday. With the warmth tis weekend and week and bouts of showers. Should see germination in 7-10 days.

My shitty acidic soil suppresses early growth. Nowhere near first mow besides a patch here or there. I limed the crap out of it last week though. Wanted to aerate but local rental shop is closed. Going to be another meh maintenance season with other projects going on...until I can completely focus on it in the years to come.  

49 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

Sorry for the dumb questions here.....

I want to overseed my lawn.  I know I need to rake it.  Do I put down fertilize a couple days before I seed?  Same time as seeding?  After seeding?

Should I use a starter fertilizer even though it's already established?

Thanks for the help!

Depends on how thick/thin the lawn is imo. Fertilizing in spring also encourages weed growth so given how thin my lawn is I also went with Scotts Starter w/ Weed Preventer. Has a pre-emergent that also allows new grass seed to grow. If it is well established I would throw down a fertilizer but make sure it doesn't have a pre-emergent in it.

17 minutes ago, PowderBeard said:

Depends on how thick/thin the lawn is imo. Fertilizing in spring also encourages weed growth so given how thin my lawn is I also went with Scotts Starter w/ Weed Preventer. Has a pre-emergent that also allows new grass seed to grow. If it is well established I would throw down a fertilizer but make sure it doesn't have a pre-emergent in it.

Thanks--I wasn't aware they had pre-emergents that didn't impact grass.  That sounds like a great idea.  Do you put that down prior to seeding?

6 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

Thanks--I wasn't aware they had pre-emergents that didn't impact grass.  That sounds like a great idea.  Do you put that down prior to seeding?

I did. It is not a broad spectrum pre-m though so it depends on the types of weeds you have.

Definitely going to have to put more seed down towards the end of the month with more starter/weed prevent. Also going with a clover lawn infront of the wall where the small pines are and the upper right corner near the road. Next project will be all crushed stone on the far side of the driveway for my other parking spot and around our raised veggie beds (not pictured). March was all about grub-ex and moss control (raked a lot of dead grubs and moss out) then aerated and two apps of fert given how poor and compacted the soil was. 

93040857_226630962011520_930333832354201600_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_sid=b96e70&_nc_ohc=h0JpqorE_V0AX-JZj6p&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.xx&oh=8d905b91d4c11330180244301fb8e3c8&oe=5EBA7702