Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The 2020 Lesco & Lawn Thread

Damage In Tolland

34 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

I've not seen grubs in our lawn, but I treated for them anyways yesterday. Can't let the rest of the lawn get killed. Chinchbugs is the other likely culprit. Turkeys have digging a lot around the yard which suggests grubs, but every time I check I dont see any.

Mine were definitely grubs, but so far I haven't seen any dead patches. I think my biggest issue is compacted soil to be honest. It is new construction after all. I'm going to try all natural this season and see how things go into next spring. Aerate and overseed this spring, aerate, overseed, and topdress this fall. 

12 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Home Depot has 40lb bags of top soil type mix for like $1.90. I bought like 30 bags and have been mixing the soil with seed in my wheelbarrow and patching spots in the yard. Works awesome.

I just got my 2020 Dirt Doctors NH catalog in the mail and they have this in it...

D37CB99E-6275-44BB-B9EA-99448EC32573.jpeg

I’m thinking about trying a yard or two and spreading it in a few spots in the front yard and along the driveway where the grass is thin and the topsoil is thinning.

23 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I just got my 2020 Dirt Doctors NH catalog in the mail and they have this in it...

D37CB99E-6275-44BB-B9EA-99448EC32573.jpeg

I’m thinking about trying a yard or two and spreading it in a few spots in the front yard and along the driveway where the grass is thin and the topsoil is thinning.

That’s not a bad price at all with seed already included. Seed is expensive. I’d give it a whirl.

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Mulched all day yesterday and with everything in bloom , it really helps pop it all off. The seed I planted first weekend of Napril is growing so all is well. Just get thru this week of cold and things get better. 5YknSNT.jpg
BHzJrZA.jpg

Bark, it is the only vey.

image.jpeg.4de02ab6a8566fed22a18e3317e4b0f6.jpeg

REALLY like the stone edge on those lower beds. Funny observation, the only moss spot is where that sitting rock casts some shade.

• Like 1

On 4/12/2020 at 11:47 AM, Baroclinic Zone said:

And we have a nasty outbreak of Hairy Bittercress around the yard.  This shit sprouts up in February and is dropping seeds before you even know you have it.  The seed pods explode at the slightest touch when they are mature and the cycle begins all over.  Looks like this.

166E9DED-28BF-4D73-B266-F15D4C561509.thumb.jpeg.e26ea55af378adb13dec6a2ade805689.jpeg

Yeah I have that too. Need to kill it. I thought it was chickweed, but I think you’re right. Any idea what takes it out? 

Limited time this year with yard. Trying to be wise with money. I am going to put a walkway in where the foot traffic is too much between my walkway to the entrance on my side, and backyard. We’ll see how that DIY project goes. 

16 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Yeah I have that too. Need to kill it. I thought it was chickweed, but I think you’re right. Any idea what takes it out? 

Limited time this year with yard. Trying to be wise with money. I am going to put a walkway in where the foot traffic is too much between my walkway to the entrance on my side, and backyard. We’ll see how that DIY project goes. 

Everything is DIY this year. Raised beds, firewood rack, plantings. Which is funny because I don't really have extra time, in fact I probably have less. 

I spent the weekend building stone steps up the embankment of the backyard.  Our property has a large number of rocks everywhere and whenever I have done any digging, I inevitably hit a large stone somewhere.  When I was digging the raised beds I ended up lining the outsides with stones from the beds instead of wood.  I frequently had to resort to using a prybar to get the biggest ones out of the earth.  So yesterday and today I took about 25 of the biggest flat stones and built a staircase.  Hardest parts were when I would hit stones where I was trying to dig out to put the steps in.  The other aggravating factor is that the lower part is very wet this time of year so the area I would dig would fill with water and muck.  It was pretty fun yesterday with the COC day haowever.

In terms of mulch, our town has a shed outside the transfer station.  In the winter there is salted grit any resident can go and get.  The other 4 months there is free mulch- mostly pine.  I just go with about twenty containers and fill away.  I did that a week or so ago on a day the dump was closed so it was quiet.  It is a nice perk the town does.

We were hiking in the Groton State Forest yesterday and my son was asking about some of the old stone walls in the middle of the forest near 2000’ feet. I told him about settlers coming up and clearing the forest for farms. I the. Told him that as soon as land in the Midwest started opening up, many of them beat feat west as fast as they could.  Can you imagine the look on their faces when they realized the ground out there wasn’t filled with rocks. They must have exclaimed “SMDH - Smacketh mine dang head!”

11 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

How is the firewood rack going? I need one as well. 

I found a pretty slick and easy design online that require a few 2x4s and some cedar fence pickets. It's something I can throw a cover over to protect it from the elements too. 

Excuse for dad to hang out in the garage with his beer?

16 hours ago, mreaves said:

We were hiking in the Groton State Forest yesterday and my son was asking about some of the old stone walls in the middle of the forest near 2000’ feet. I told him about settlers coming up and clearing the forest for farms. I the. Told him that as soon as land in the Midwest started opening up, many of them beat feat west as fast as they could.  Can you imagine the look on their faces when they realized the ground out there wasn’t filled with rocks. They must have exclaimed “SMDH - Smacketh mine dang head!”

Funny but I was thinking about that everytime I hit a rock yesterday.  Yup this is why they all moved to Ohio. 

Love that night temps are staying ~40 or higher. Soil is still only about 44*. Mowing it down to 1" to get it spreading. Definitely seen a nice burst the past few days. I imagine the next five with warmer temps and rain will really get some growth going. I'm thinking I have fewer bare spots to fill than I thought. Definitely going to garden weasel up larger areas around the back side of the Oak tree and the edge of the driveway and seed those heavily. Anything bigger than 6-8" I will probably scrape a little and seed. Bought more peat moss than I needed to cover all the newly seeded spots. 

pOfGOHQ.jpg

26 minutes ago, PowderBeard said:

Love that night temps are staying ~40 or higher. Soil is still only about 44*. Mowing it down to 1" to get it spreading. Definitely seen a nice burst the past few days. I imagine the next five with warmer temps and rain will really get some growth going. I'm thinking I have fewer bare spots to fill than I thought. Definitely going to garden weasel up larger areas around the back side of the Oak tree and the edge of the driveway and seed those heavily. Anything bigger than 6-8" I will probably scrape a little and seed. Bought more peat moss than I needed to cover all the newly seeded spots.

We 44F

image.png

Anybody have experience putting in fence post? I’m hearing that securing them in cement may not be a good idea because it can trap water in accelerate the rotting process. It also could be a pain to move if I eventually need to take it out. However, I was going to put flex seal on it so that water would not penetrate the wood. If not cement, what material would use to pack around the posts?

26 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Anybody have experience putting in fence post? I’m hearing that securing them in cement may not be a good idea because it can trap water in accelerate the rotting process. It also could be a pain to move if I eventually need to take it out. However, I was going to put flex seal on it so that water would not penetrate the wood. If not cement, what material would use to pack around the posts?

I use native material that came out of the hole.  If you bury the bottom of the post at least three fee below grade, you don't need anything but soil to hold them in place.  Concrete will crack and let go anyway. 

My brother-in law dipped his fence posts in driveway sealer, and then back filled around the posts with gravel, seems like overkill.  

4 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Get a hole digger and bury that thing.  Far too many diy’ers don’t go more than 12-18” and the posts end up getting pulled out of the ground to to freeze/thaw cycles and the heaving of the ground.  You bury that thing below the frost line and that ain’t going anywhere.  It could not hurt to do the flex seal or some sort of bitithene type membrane around the part of the post that is buried. May be a bit costlier but would extend the life of the post if covered properly.

11 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Get a hole digger and bury that thing.  Far too many diy’ers don’t go more than 12-18” and the posts end up getting pulled out of the ground to to freeze/thaw cycles and the heaving of the ground.  You bury that thing below the frost line and that ain’t going anywhere.  It could not hurt to do the flex seal or some sort of bitithene type membrane around the part of the post that is buried. May be a bit costlier but would extend the life of the post if covered properly.

I fenced in my back yard years ago and rented a post hole driller.  That thing was a beast and beat me up pretty good.  I found out quickly that they weren't lying when they named my part of town Graniteville.

1 minute ago, mreaves said:

I fenced in my back yard years ago and rented a post hole driller.  That thing was a beast and beat me up pretty good.  I found out quickly that they weren't lying when they named my part of town Graniteville.

I’m sure.  Not too many places in New England where you can drill without hitting large rocks.  I’ve tried the hand hole diggers and they’re an exercise in futility.

6 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

I installed a post and rail fence at my parents old house. Using only a hand post hole digger and a pry bar. Don’t skimp on depth... it needs to get there one way or another.

We didn’t use concrete, but I did fill the holes with crush gravel/stone dust. Fence never moved.