• Member Statistics

    15,849
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    PaulG
    Newest Member
    PaulG
    Joined
Hoosier

February 17-18 Snow Potential

Recommended Posts

Well this way overperformed. I easily got 5" out right now. It is a very pretty snowfall with all the snow on the branches and trees. I don't think I can complain too much about this winter anymore.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven’t paid any attention to this one so I am shocked it’s snowing here. I just got home after a long weekend so I haven’t measured but I’d guess an inch? Flakes are HUGE at times. Here’s the best I could do from the car. 

9EFFFF12-0A6E-4E26-A37B-F56A5DE10A43.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Snowstorms said:

This winter is up there with 2011-12 and 2001-02 in terms of warmth. Well deserved after all the garbage winters we've been through in the last decade or two. 

Majority of the precip should fall tonight. Temps won't be an issue and any changeover will only be light drizzle tom morning. Wouldn't be surprised to see 3" across much of the area. 

In terms of warmth, this winter for sure ranks up with 2001-02 and 2011-12. I don't consider this winter to be as much of a bust, though, because of the snow we've had. Also, November 2001 and 2011 were blowtorches ,which November 2019 most certainly was not.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had a mix of rain/snow this afternoon, before flipping to all rain.

No accumulation though.


.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Ottawa Blizzard said:

In terms of warmth, this winter for sure ranks up with 2001-02 and 2011-12. I don't consider this winter to be as much of a bust, though, because of the snow we've had. Also, November 2001 and 2011 were blowtorches ,which November 2019 most certainly was not.

Aside from Nov, this winter has been pretty warm. Only 13 days since Dec 1 with overnight lows below -10C. We avg ~39 days by the end of Feb. 

Maybe we'll get lucky now and see a nice warm summer like 2002 or 2012 haha. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1” of wet snow down when I went out to shovel under light snow. Heard some dripping as temps did nudge above freezing today but they are falling now.

The heavy band didn’t stay over my location as long as it did out west. 3-5” reports in west metro and 6”+ out by Mankato and New Ulm. 

My 1.6” call might verify after all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have about 1.5" of slop right now, with drizzle/very light rain falling at 33.3F.  Not the most pleasant storm, but very solid rates (at times white rain) from about 3pm to 7pm.

  • Weenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Snowstorms said:

Aside from Nov, this winter has been pretty warm. Only 13 days since Dec 1 with overnight lows below -10C. We avg ~39 days by the end of Feb. 

Maybe we'll get lucky now and see a nice warm summer like 2002 or 2012 haha. 

I hope not. I'm not a big fan of high heat and humidity. Give me highs in the mid 70s in June, July, and August, and I'll be happy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Around 7:30 tonight, a small cell produced the first lightning strike for the year around O'Hare. Heard Skilling mention it at the 9:30pm weather segment. Thought it was interesting. 

  • Weenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, totsata said:

Around 7:30 tonight, a small cell produced the first lightning strike for the year around O'Hare. Heard Skilling mention it at the 9:30pm weather segment. Thought it was interesting. 

During the winter that's a great indicator that there will be accum snow in a week.   Works every time ;)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Think I stole the Wyandotte snow magnet. Was expecting very little snow accumulations last night. Ended up picking up 2.1” of snow over a 6-8 hour period. Roads actually got pretty slick and snow-covered. This pushes my February total to 13.8”, and the seasonal total to 38.5”. Of course this was yet another event that was overnight and ended as drizzle while above freezing. Haven't had a single day total over 3" this month as well. Nickel and diming to an above average month.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, MIstorm97 said:

Think I stole the Wyandotte snow magnet. Was expecting very little snow accumulations last night. Ended up picking up 2.1” of snow over a 6-8 hour period. Roads actually got pretty slick and snow-covered. This pushes my February total to 13.8”, and the seasonal total to 38.5”. Of course this was yet another event that was overnight and ended as drizzle while above freezing. Haven't had a single day total over 3" this month as well. Nickel and diming to an above average month.

 I'm in the UP enjoying feet of snow, but sounds like we did get less than half an inch of wet snow yesterday at home, I'll est 0.3".  1 to 2" in the northern burbs as you alluded to. That's your how much of your snow would survive, but I'm know I will come home to just piles tomorrow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

 I'm in the UP enjoying feet of snow, but sounds like we did get less than half an inch of wet snow yesterday at home, I'll est 0.3".  1 to 2" in the northern burbs as you alluded to. That's your how much of your snow would survive, but I'm know I will come home to just piles tomorrow.

Not even 10am and we’re already losing a decent amount. Story of this month: stat-padding snows that melt/compact the next day. I need to hit up the UP again for that deep snowpack. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6.0" storm total yesterday, depth is 13".  Very pretty snowfall, but wet and tiring to shovel.

Forecast was for 1-3", so this way overperformed. We finally got a winter weather advisory late in the afternoon after most of the snow had already fallen.

  • Like 2
  • Weenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, MIstorm97 said:

Not even 10am and we’re already losing a decent amount. Story of this month: stat-padding snows that melt/compact the next day. I need to hit up the UP again for that deep snowpack. 

I'm at 9.2" on the month I think and peak obs time depth has been 3". January peak depth was 6", December peak depth 1", November peak depth 9" lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Luftfeuchtigkeit said:

6.0" storm total yesterday, depth is 13".  Very pretty snowfall, but wet and tiring to shovel.

Forecast was for 1-3", so this way overperformed. We finally got a winter weather advisory late in the afternoon after most of the snow had already fallen.

The Euro and UK both had 4-5+" in Madison.  A couple other models were too dry and/or rainy.

First thing in the morning, when it was snowing solidly in the Dubuque area and a nice plume of precip was aimed directly at the Madison area, it seemed pretty clear Madison was going to beat the NWS forecast of 1-3".  Congrats.  Over-performers are always nice.

  • Like 1
  • Weenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

I'm at 9.2" on the month I think and peak obs time depth has been 3". January peak depth was 6", December peak depth 1", November peak depth 9" lol.

Pretty much just down to piles now. I haven't done depth measurements, so I only assume mine have been relatively similar, maybe a little more at times. But here the peak depth hasn't been more than 4-5" this month. Really hope we can get another system this month. The last two February's were 19.5" in Feb '18 and 17.8" in Feb '19, so I'd like to get around there again. Only would need another 4ish inches. February really has been our month, even in the lame winters mostly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.