• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowIsMyName
    Newest Member
    SnowIsMyName

WINTER ARRIVES THIS WEEKEND EVENT JAN 18-19, 2020

5 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Currently 23 here and overcast with dp of 8. This incoming band looks interesting. Will have to see if it erodes as it moves east due to this dry air.

radar7-01182020.png

COD radar actually has some yellow speckles in the middle of that line, but also shows it a lot thinner. Time to go sit outside and watch for flakes!

That line has been holding together nicely. I've also been following the obs down in the MA and there is almost no virga with that line. That brings up a question tho. If that line comes through and we get some snow, does that line itself moisten up the atmosphere so that when the next batch gets here we won't have to deal with virga?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Fields27 said:

That line has been holding together nicely. I've also been following the obs down in the MA and there is almost no virga with that line. That brings up a question tho. If that line comes through and we get some snow, does that line itself moisten up the atmosphere so that when the next batch gets here we won't have to deal with virga?

Here is a zoomed out view of it.  It still feels to me that it may dry up some on the front, but we'll see. It has held together so far...

radar-pulled-out-01182020.png

12 minutes ago, Fields27 said:

I'm thinking that is correct, hoping it's not hours until the main batch gets here.

Eta - under bright greens here now but nothing yet...

Radar seems to be doing a little back building around Baltimore. (Probably just radar hallucinations on my part.)

The sun was looking like it was trying to bust out to the east here but I know that is an illusion. :D  Temp is up to 24 so... Dp is still single digits at 8.

That line has been moving relatively quickly and part of it should be over Paul by now so am wondering if anything is falling there.

Still under bright greens here and nothing reaching the ground yet. Heavy virga! The RH outside here is 46%, which based on past experience needs to get up to 55 or 60% to see snow making it to the ground.

5 minutes ago, JTA66 said:

Radar seems to be doing a little back building around Baltimore. (Probably just radar hallucinations on my part.)

Same to the west - hope springs eternal, lol.

Took until we got under the yellows but its snowing. To be fair there wasn't much in front of the yellows.

HRRR fwiw continues the trend colder. Hangs on to 850s a bit longer...less sleet here more white. Not sure I buy it. Best bet is a mix. Wont be above freezing in my area til after 8PM it seems on alot of guidance now.

Eta: still showing only a c-1" here...very dry. Now cast time. Off to work....

hrrr_ref_frzn_neus_10.png

2 minutes ago, LVwhiteout said:

Is this for the Obs thread or are we reporting now time here?

I would think based on the past that obs could be posted in event threads like this along with the model analysis (to distinguish from the general "non-event" obs thread).

EDIT - see that Ralph started a separate obs thread.

3 hours ago, CoolHandMike said:

....and now we ultimately want to move somewhere more north. Somewhere with a real, consistent winter. NFL sounds nice. :)

The St. John's, Newfoundland "bomb cyclone" aftermath...

82444270_10158283444012878_268350437122375680_o.jpg

• Like 1