Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Central PA - Late Dec 2019/Jan 2020

MAG5035

1 hour ago, daxx said:

I can't wait until the dewpoint spike later tonight and tomorrow morning.  I might stay up for it. Lol!

I was telling my wife this morning that tonight would be a snow lover's nightmare scenario triple play...high temps, high dews and rain. Never forget January 96 when I lost 2' of snow cover in about 8 hours one night. 

I'm glad my snow is already gone so I don't have to go through the agony tonight. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Was it 2 years ago in February we hit 78 and were under tornado warnings?

Saw my first tornado touchdown in early Feb of 99 fishing the susq just south of brunner island . I dont remember the temps but I was in shorts and a t-shirt December of 98 was a torch. winter of 2011 never got very cold all winter. Bass where spawning by late march and Annual cicadas started very early emergence in the second and third weeks of April. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jns2183 said:

7bf58acd5a6b2fbf5e742cfd06c41c37.jpg

. Pro

Great info, thanks.  So the top two are 2 of the last 3 decades.  Wonder if there are any record keeping issues there as otherwise that is pretty definitive info that it is VERY rare to hit 68 in January and we have indeed had more days at that temp since some time in the 1970's.  

13 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Great info, thanks.  So the top two are 2 of the last 3 decades.  Wonder if there are any record keeping issues there as otherwise that is pretty definitive info that it is VERY rare to hit 68 in January and we have indeed had more days at that temp since some time in the 1970's.  

Do you know if the sensor has been in the same general area or has it changed over the years? Sometimes they get moved around.

Def a strong signal for the event around the 19th-20th, as it's been pretty prominent on the models the last few days. Quite a strong high to the north being progged, which is a change from most of the events we've been presented with so far this winter and if that feature remains a player on ensuing runs we will likely be tracking a winter storm with potentially wide ranging impacts for our area this week as we bring in some fresh cold just prior and set in place that high pressure. 

The pattern going forward for the second half of the month is rapidly looking much, much better. We're currently working a very high amplitude phase 4/5 MJO but I've noticed in forecasts the last several days that this MJO pulse has been progressing rapidly out of the bad range (4-6) and it is starting to carry amplitude into more favorable phases on some of the model forecasts. We could find eventually that this ends up carrying into 8-1-2, which could potentially help the NAO realm if that were to come to fruition. We see lessening of the +AO over the pole and a stunning reversal of the PNA (which our next potential winter storm is right in the middle of) in the forecasts as well.

Considering this winter as a whole so far, we're really right around where we were at this time last winter minus the November snowstorm.. complete with cancelling January during the last week of December and all.   

32 minutes ago, Jns2183 said:

7bf58acd5a6b2fbf5e742cfd06c41c37.jpg

. Pro

Intriguing that the fabled decade that the ice age was coming back (the 1970s) has only one less 68º+ meteorological winter day than this past decade. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I was telling my wife this morning that tonight would be a snow lover's nightmare scenario triple play...high temps, high dews and rain. Never forget January 96 when I lost 2' of snow cover in about 8 hours one night. 

I'm glad my snow is already gone so I don't have to go through the agony tonight. 

I will never forget that either. I grew up in Willow Street/Conestoga area and remember being so upset when I woke up the next morning to it ALL gone.

11 minutes ago, canderson said:

Up to 71 degrees at 11:44 pm. LOL

Congrats!  Open the windows and let that fresh air blow right on in.  :D

Meanwhile, MDT did not set a record high today, for the 11th.  As of 11pm they were at 68 degrees.  Record high for today was 71 set back in 1975.  

However, they ARE going to set a record for tomorrow, the 12th since the record for the 12th is only 65 degrees which we should all remember fondly as it was set just 3 years ago in 2017!

CTP also just issued a SPS for a mini squall line embedded within the leading edge of the approaching rain band.  Gusts to 45mph possible.  I'll be monitoring that on my weather station to see how high I gust.  So far my peak gust has been 27.3 mph.  Strong southerly winds continue at 10 to 15 with gusts to 25 frequently.  Just an amazing January day all in all.  Definitely excited about the upcoming pattern change and the possible snow event late Friday into Saturday.

Ok, the midnight obs are in and MDT has risen to 69 degrees which sets a new record for the 12th.  There's still a tiny bit of time for them to maybe touch 70 briefly before the rain arrives.  My temp peaked at 68.0 degrees around 11:30pm and has now begun to fall back as the rain has just begun here.  Down to 65.7 after starting the day off at 66.9 at midnight.  Also, CXY has gone up another degree and is now 72!!!

Quick update at 12:40am I'm now down to 62.2 and have recorded 0.10" of rainfall.  The winds did pick up and were quite active for about 15 minutes as the rain arrived, but my gusts were only in the low 30's.  I had multiple gusts of 30 and 31 with one max gust of 32mph.  They have quieted down considerably over the last 10 minutes and are now averaging 5-10 with some gusts to 15.

It was a weird weather day yesterday. Walking out side and have the warm hit you in the face just seemed weird.

No ice on the river, people still fishing on the river. Talked to a guy and he said he caught a 40" musky yesterday.

Turned the AC on in the bedroom last night. My wife said that seemed crazy but she wasn't complaining.

I hope we don't get a mess like the GFS is showing. Sure makes snow removal on my lane tough.

Would be happy with just all snow event.

SXUS71 KCTP 120745
RERIPT

RECORD EVENT REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE STATE COLLEGE PA
238 AM EST SUN JAN 12 2020

...RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE SET AT WILLIAMSPORT PA...

A RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE OF 66 WAS SET AT WILLIAMSPORT PA YESTERDAY.
THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 65 SET IN 1975.

$$

MARTIN