Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
January 2020 Mid/Long Term Discussion

nj2va

8 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

24-36 hours ago things looked so bleak.  The turnaround is nothing short of miracle.  Let’s hope it’s not a mirage.  

There were signs of things improving in Jan but the west coast trough kept getting pushed out in time. What's unusual is the way we get out of the warmish pattern. It's mostly atlantic driven. We appear to be getting lucky with the ridge in canada creating split flow. We're seeing quite a bit of agreement on that now. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, JakkelWx said:

Hmm I don't really know but when it suddenly flips to a good pattern in 24 hours that's a red flag to me. Can someone reassure me that everything's alright?

The truth is 0z could bring total destruction.  Even the best analysis is only as good as the data being analyzed.  No one will reassure you.  We are all alone on this wretched journey called winter where despair and peril lurk around every 6 hour corner. 

• Like 3

WRT to the cold CFS ...

The following is part of the CPC 3-4 week outlook.  Did the forecaster Kyle MacRitchie mean to say "over-forecasts cold in the Northeast" or am I missing something. Anyways they "forecast" a 50% (50%) chance of above (below) normal temperatures during week 3/4.  They do forecast warmer than normal temperatures and precipitation over the southeast.  The weenie in me says we could be on the cold end of something substantial. 

The ECMWF and JMA models, as well as a number of SubX models, forecast weaker troughing over Canada and suggest a warmer pattern over the eastern CONUS than the CFS does. Our calibration routine also lowers the cold probabilities in the CFS so that they appear more in-line with the ECMWF and JMA, which suggests that the CFS historically over-forecasts warmth in the Northeast.

1 hour ago, JakkelWx said:

Not sure I like the latest MJO ECMWF forecast. It stays in the COD but moves towards the unfavorable phases. Hopefully just a blip

ECMF_phase_51m_small.gif

My first interpretation is that it appears to have no clue.  I am guessing the green line is the Ensemble mean.  Individual members are showing it emerge literally everywhere.

15 hours ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

HH GFS interesting look at 180. Get that NS ull to plow ESE and flatten the top of that ridge down into the Mid Atl and not phase with the stj ull and have the stj wave follow behind and yeah. 

0z GGEM has the scenario I mentioned with the arctic jet racing out ahead and the left behind stj sw developing and coming N. GFS/Euro ops phase in the Plains=cutter. Maybe a period to keep an eye on.

GZ_D5_PN_216_0000.gif

TT_GZ_UU_VV_216_0850.gif

P6_GZ_D5_PN_216_0000.gif

• Like 1

8 hours ago, yoda said:

Odd evolution of the storm to start the new year on the 00z GFS... and lol 504DM h5 just south of us

gfs_z500_vort_us_54.thumb.png.614c1ff94985d1defcfc05ce77bb7854.png

Naw we get big snows from storms that start out 300 miles north of Toronto and dive due south all the time. 

All you can take from that range and that crazy nonsense is the gfs thinks the amplification and blocking of the pattern is likely to continue. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

Is the EPS on board with good stuff happening?

Its not a bad look in the LR on the mean, but realistically the h5 pattern won't look like that, as there is quite a bit of spread on the individual members. Verbatim the mean looks cold for much of the lower 48, but its likely due to disagreement among the members on location of the main features. We are not likely going to see low h5 height anomalies covering most of the Continental US as depicted towards the end of the run.

13 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Its not a bad look in the LR on the mean, but realistically the h5 pattern won't look like that, as there is quite a bit of spread on the individual members. Verbatim the mean looks cold for much of the lower 48, but its likely due to disagreement among the members on location of the main features. We are not likely going to see low h5 height anomalies covering most of the Continental US as depicted towards the end of the run.

Eps looks good day 10...and the trough lingers because of it day 11-15, but I don’t like the overall look day 15. It will be really hard to sustain any cold with that look up top.  Luckily guidance has very low skill there past day 10 and all the guidance agrees on a pretty good look day 10. Just have to hope the Atlantic doesn’t completely break down like the euro indicates because nothing supports the pacific becoming favorable enough absent any Atlantic help. Doesn’t mean the pac stays hostile, just it looks ambiguous and not overly hostile or helpful in the long range which given the very conflicted tropical signals makes perfect sense. 

One positive sign so far is that there wants to be some blocking up top. When the Atlantic was hostile the epo took over. Now that the tpv is on that side there is ridging on the Atlantic side. So far there have been enough mitigating factors to prevent snow here. But if we keep a somewhat favorable blocky high latitude profile through prime climo that is unlikely to continue. 

Just now, psuhoffman said:

Eps looks good day 10...and the trough lingers because of it day 11-15, but I don’t like the overall look day 15. It will be really hard to sustain any cold with that look up top.  Luckily guidance has very low skill there past day 10 and all the guidance agrees on a pretty good look day 10. Just have to hope the Atlantic doesn’t completely break down like the euro indicates because nothing supports the pacific becoming favorable enough absent any Atlantic help. Doesn’t mean the pac stays hostile, just it looks ambiguous and not overly hostile or helpful in the long range which given the very conflicted tropical signals makes perfect sense. 

Yeah probably a good reason to keep our sights on the day 10 period- Interesting enough looks on the EPS and the GEFS for around the New Year, and beyond that is probably more muddled than usual.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

And that h5 pattern looks to continue as the run progresses. That is a solid high up there.  This looks really good to me.  It should keep us cold if nothing else. I hope I am right about this enthusiasm 

What a different look at H5 between 6z and 12z on the GFS. Looks like the 12z is going back to its idea at 0z. Can't keep up with this uncertainly at 300 hrs.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic