• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    mansour
    Newest Member
    mansour

E PA/NJ/DE Winter 2019/2020 OBS Thread

I ended up with 1.87" of rain on Saturday and yesterday I discovered that my Snowdrops had emerged and are blooming, so there's that! :D

Also had to swerve around groundhog roadkill yesterday, so they are apparently awake and moving above ground instead of sleeping. :blink: The Punxsutawney handlers may end up trying to pull Phil out of his burrow next weekend and discover he is long gone foraging elsewhere. :lol:

1 hour ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

I ended up with 1.87" of rain on Saturday and yesterday I discovered that my Snowdrops had emerged and are blooming, so there's that! :D

Also had to swerve around groundhog roadkill yesterday, so they are apparently awake and moving above ground instead of sleeping. :blink: The Punxsutawney handlers may end up trying to pull Phil out of his burrow next weekend and discover he is long gone foraging elsewhere. :lol:

Squirells are out in full force to

Here in Chester County PA we finished January as the 10th warmest 1st month of a year at 36.5 degrees the top 10 including this year are:

• 1932 - 42.4 / 1913 - 39.5 / 1950 - 39.5 / 1998 - 38.7 / 1933 - 38.5 / 2006 - 38.4 / 1937 - 38.2 / 1990 - 37.3 / 1906 - 37.1

We also finished with the 44th least January snow at just 3.8". Of note this is also the 29th least snowy season to date with only 5.8" of snow so far. The 28 previous times with this little snow to date - only 4x did we finish w/above normal snowfall (36") for the season. The average ending snow totals for those 28 seasons is only 19.9" of snow. The biggest turn around season was 1913-14 when we only had 3.3" of snow through January but ended up with 54.1" - the worst winter non-turnaround of course is the only season without any recorded snowfall the infamous winter of 1972-3 with no snow accumulation at all.

Had some white rain around 1:30.  High 30s and rain is my least favorite weather.  I'd rather it be dry and single digits, or torching, than cold and rainy. 

At least I got my snow fix last weekend in NNE.  It was a very interesting localized and elevation dependent orographic enhanced storm up there.  Rain in the valleys and 12-15" fresh at the top of the mountains.   Apparently we have to drive 8 hours to see any appreciable snow in this dismal winter.  

11 minutes ago, The Iceman said:

00z euro looks wet for this week. 3-4" amounts right across SE PA.

download (10).png

Bring it! Might as well get it now...seasonal data is hinting drought upcoming.

20 hours ago, famartin said:

Parents in Ewing are at 2.9" of snow for the season.  Last time the season started off this poorly was 1993...

5 miles south of there and I have half of that. Gradient winter :lol: 

1 hour ago, The Iceman said:

5 miles south of there and I have half of that. Gradient winter :lol: 

anyone that knows what happened in March of 93 know why I labeled Rays post with a "weenie"

• Haha 1

33° F and pouring. What a winter. I mean, I consider myself a foul weather aficionado, but this is pretty sad for what should be the heart of our climo winter. I am seeing patches of rain/snow mix on the radar but so far nothing but rain here.

34 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Loving the rogue blob over my area in Bucksco lol. I think the NAM is making it personal and playing cruel games at this point. :P

namconus_asnow_neus_18.png

Pics or it didn't happen, lol

On 2/4/2020 at 7:02 PM, famartin said:

Parents in Ewing are at 2.9" of snow for the season.  Last time the season started off this poorly was 1993...

5.5" here near Flemington. 2" in January.  The advantages of latitude.  :)

1 minute ago, wkd said:

5.5" here near Flemington. 2" in January.  The advantages of latitude.  :)

Yup, have almost 7" in Branchburg, haha :)

4 minutes ago, FPizz said:

Yup, have almost 7" in Branchburg, haha :)

Proves my point; you're another few miles north.  J/k

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Ended up with 0.54" rain on Thursday and 0.13" so far today.  Currently very foggy w/vis < 1/10th of a mile, so need a bit more than a SPS for this.  Temp is currently 46 with dense fog and mist.

Oddly enough not foggy here.....very low cloud ceiling though. Pretty dark for this time of morning.

44F Misty/light rain 

2 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

Oddly enough not foggy here.....very low cloud ceiling though. Pretty dark for this time of morning.

44F Misty/light rain 

Possibly because it had started raining there.  Am now getting the rain here and am up to 0.18" with improved visibility but not by much.   Earlier I was almost completely socked in!