• Member Statistics

    15,935
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    Danny8
    Newest Member
    Danny8
    Joined
Sign in to follow this  
George BM

December Banter 2019

Recommended Posts

26 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

People believing the Euro snow forecasts are like ...BB41764F-B124-42A5-9A74-C9DCE4717471.jpeg.3f3526c815cb132c72ce8dbf509b09e3.jpeg

even our veteran posters seem to forget that the euro includes sleet as snow in their snow maps. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

People believing the Euro snow forecasts are like ...BB41764F-B124-42A5-9A74-C9DCE4717471.jpeg.3f3526c815cb132c72ce8dbf509b09e3.jpeg

I doubt anyone actually believes them verbatim. Its all for the lolz.

Snow maps imo have little value until inside of 3 days, and even then they need to be objectively interpreted based on surface temps, 700, 850 mb temps, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

I was referring to the fact that seemingly every time the euro gives snow while others do not it has often shown itself to be completely wrong.

But we can always hope it’s right lol.

Euro is better, but it’s not so superior that its likely correct even when the preponderance of evidence is against it.  We get frustrated that it feels like the non snowy solutions always win but that’s because usually the non snowy solutions are the majority only we focus on the runs that show snow.  Even when the ensembles show a mean snow of 4-5” often it gets there with 30-40% showing massive hits and 50-60% showing nothing. When the super majority of guidance suggests snow in the medium range it does snow more often than not. That’s just a rare occurrence compared to the plethora of times one or two runs show snow and then cave to the majority that don’t.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Euro is better, but it’s not so superior that its likely correct even when the preponderance of evidence is against it.  We get frustrated that it feels like the non snowy solutions always win but that’s because usually the non snowy solutions are the majority only we focus on the runs that show snow.  Even when the ensembles show a mean snow of 4-5” often it gets there with 30-40% showing massive hits and 50-60% showing nothing. When the super majority of guidance suggests snow in the medium range it does snow more often than not. That’s just a rare occurrence compared to the plethora of times one or two runs show snow and then cave to the majority that don’t.  

That's a great point to remind folks of. 

WRT to early next week, if we speed up a bit and keep it close on the heels of weekend rainier, that could keep the ridging in check for the wintry offerings to be in play for some of us.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sometimes someone posts something in the main thread that I want to joke about but obviously do not want to clutter it up.  Isn't there a way to respond to a post from one thread but in a different thread?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, cbmclean said:

Sometimes someone posts something in the main thread that I want to joke about but obviously do not want to clutter it up.  Isn't there a way to respond to a post from one thread but in a different thread?

i think subthreads wouldn't be a horrible idea.  not sure if this board even has that option, but i think that would allow some side chatter without pissing off the mods.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, 87storms said:

i think subthreads wouldn't be a horrible idea.  not sure if this board even has that option, but i think that would allow some side chatter without pissing off the mods.

Well the Banter thread is devoted to side chatter, but I just can't figure out how to quote a post from the main thread in the Banter thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, cbmclean said:

Sometimes someone posts something in the main thread that I want to joke about but obviously do not want to clutter it up.  Isn't there a way to respond to a post from one thread but in a different thread?

There is two different ways:

1.)  You can hit the quote key which then puts it in the reply box.  Press CTRL A and it will highlight everything in there including teh quote you want to respond to.  Press CTRL C to copy the post.  Go to the thread that you want to reply in and click on the reply box.  Hit CTRL V and it should paste the quote in there and go from there in replying

2.)  Hit the gray + sign.  In the bottom right hand corner of your screen, it will say "Quote 1 post".  Proceed to the thread where you want to post about the quote and then click the "Quote 1 post" button.  It will put the quote in the reply box and then you can go from  there in replying

 

Hope this helps! :)

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, cbmclean said:

Well the Banter thread is devoted to side chatter, but I just can't figure out how to quote a post from the main thread in the Banter thread.

yea i'm just saying skipping around threads can be annoying sometimes lol.  there's also sometimes that gray area between relevant chatter and banter.  i mean, it's fine as-is, but i do think subthreads wouldn't suck.  the idea of replying from one thread into another isn't a bad idea either, but might actually cause too much clutter in banter lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

re my comment in the long range thread...give us the cold and we'll find a way to snow at some point.  we're veterans at precip.  so far, there's a lot to like if you're a fan of winter.  me?  honestly, i don't like the cold lol, but i know we generally need a sustained colder pattern for snow so i'm willing to negotiate for a few months.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, yoda said:

There is two different ways:

1.)  You can hit the quote key which then puts it in the reply box.  Press CTRL A and it will highlight everything in there including teh quote you want to respond to.  Press CTRL C to copy the post.  Go to the thread that you want to reply in and click on the reply box.  Hit CTRL V and it should paste the quote in there and go from there in replying

2.)  Hit the gray + sign.  In the bottom right hand corner of your screen, it will say "Quote 1 post".  Proceed to the thread where you want to post about the quote and then click the "Quote 1 post" button.  It will put the quote in the reply box and then you can go from  there in replying

 

Hope this helps! :)

 

Thanks Yoda

 

(by the way, I was really impressed by the way you lifted that X-wing out of the swamp back on Dagobah).

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, 87storms said:

yea i'm just saying skipping around threads can be annoying sometimes lol.  there's also sometimes that gray area between relevant chatter and banter.  i mean, it's fine as-is, but i do think subthreads wouldn't suck.  the idea of replying from one thread into another isn't a bad idea either, but might actually cause too much clutter in banter lol.

subthreads? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am taking the family to Dear Evan Hansen on Broadway on 12/21 (matinee and I am driving up) - so let's all go ahead and push that big storm people are trying to will into existence so it doesn't start until around 9:00 pm that night.

I will hang up and listen. Love what you all do here.

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

I am taking the family to Dear Evan Hansen on Broadway on 12/21 (matinee and I am driving up) - so let's all go ahead and push that big storm people are trying to will into existence so it doesn't start until around 9:00 pm that night.

I will hang up and listen. Love what you all do here.

cracked up at the last two sentences

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I still got a snowpack in a shady area behind my house. Will it last into Christmas?

Side note: I took some of that snow and put it into my freezer so when Christmas comes I'll spread the hardened snow over the grass so I get a white Christmas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, 87storms said:

honestly, i don't like the cold lol

For me personally, I like cold almost as much, if not more sometimes than snow.  I'd prefer to have both, but if forced to choose I think I would rather have a dusting or two among a period of sustained cold than a "big one" that all melts the next way.

Keep in mind that since I live in eastern NC, a "big one" is 4 - 6 inches lol.

It is of course, all personal preference.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Is the December torch before or after the subzero temps and/or HECS. Asking for a friend, thx!

I have been tracking it closely on the EPS runs. It was either side of Xmas with maybe +3 to +5 F for a few days. Now it looks like a couple days of +2. then back to avg and heading downward.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

I was *this* close to yelling FFS out loud at the happy hour GFS turn a classic track into cold rain.

I misread that as "into a cold train" and was wondering why that was annoying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, cbmclean said:

For me personally, I like cold almost as much, if not more sometimes than snow.  I'd prefer to have both, but if forced to choose I think I would rather have a dusting or two among a period of sustained cold than a "big one" that all melts the next way.

Keep in mind that since I live in eastern NC, a "big one" is 4 - 6 inches lol.

It is of course, all personal preference.

I still like the every 5-7 year blizzard we get here but I think my preference is 8-12” warning level. Not enough to completely shut things down but enough to feel like it’s a legitimate snowstorm. The one last January here was pretty good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.