• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    maley.chris78@gmail.com
    Newest Member
    [email protected]
wxeyeNH

NNE Cold Season Thread

Here’s a snow update and a few pics from Bolton Valley yesterday.  They reported a storm total of 22”, and we generally found about 18” of powder atop the base at most elevations.  My son probed the total snowpack depth off piste down near the Timberline Base at ~1,500’ and found roughly 30” of snow.  Using the Mt. Mansfield Stake as an estimate for snowpack near ridgeline elevations of 3,000’ to 4,000’, it’s probably up near the 60” mark.  The only read downside to yesterday was the cold – it sounded like temperatures were just above 0 F down at the main base at ~2,100’, and up above 3,000’ you could really feel that it had dropped off even more.  I’d guess it was several degrees below 0 F up there.  Winds weren’t bad, but we still spent most of our time down in the Timberline elevations because the temperature was notably better and the snow was just as good.

08FEB20B.jpg

08FEB20G.jpg

08FEB20F.jpg

08FEB20D.jpg

• Like 5

I have to laugh at myself for the times I complained up there. North GA got a hit yesterday and here we are still sitting on a trace for the season (which even here is abysmal). This actually ranks as the worst winter I have ever been through. Anywhere south of you guys and the pattern is a complete disaster. I am enjoying all the pics in this thread wishing I was on the slopes again.

• Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

From Banter thread but will live on in here: 

What a Sunday out there.

-22F this morning on the full moon clear skies, fresh deep pack...it looked like the surface of the moon this morning at -20s.

Sun is out and temps are rising fast.  16" of snow depth in the yard.

There's still a pretty good glaze from the ZR before the snow on the pines...they are feeling it after acouple days of solid weight.

Snow_Feb_9.jpg.7d9ab73a5a059e0fab857d6168a72344.jpg

• Like 3

It has been a spectacular day. You can really tell how snow starved we had been. I don’t know the last time I saw so many people on snowmobile trails. Not just speeders either, skiers, snowshoers and people just out for a walk. 

A0A66C09-C587-4C32-8B10-89CAD4A8EC1D.jpeg

280CD44D-BB3C-4D1E-865D-BEB45D2496A5.jpeg

Put together this latest storm's snowfall readings on Mansfield at the High Road Plot.

19" total and I'd wager there was close to 2.0" of water when all was said and done.

155" on the season so far, tracking below the 20 year average but we have now hit the same amount of snow we had in the entire 2015-16 season, ha.

84656250_10104035702741220_1560984960125

11 hours ago, #NoPoles said:

-24 more brrrrr!!!!

Saw that -24F on Alex's weather station.  I can't remember but I think he recorded a -34F last year.  That might be the lowest temperature since moving to there.  I had a balmy 0F up on the hill.  Never do good with radiational cooling my best is CAA temps.

It is really beautiful around here with the ice on the trees.  Starts just north of Tilton NH on Rt 93.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wxeyeNH said:

Saw that -24F on Alex's weather station.  I can't remember but I think he recorded a -34F last year.  That might be the lowest temperature since moving to there.  I had a balmy 0F up on the hill.  Never do good with radiational cooling my best is CAA temps.

It is really beautiful around here with the ice on the trees.  Starts just north of Tilton NH on Rt 93.

Yeah, anything below 0 is completely unnecessary...actually anything below 20 degrees is unnecessary. It should just stay at 32, that way we can still have snow, but no one has time for this cold

• Weenie 1

1 hour ago, #NoPoles said:

Yeah, anything below 0 is completely unnecessary...actually anything below 20 degrees is unnecessary. It should just stay at 32, that way we can still have snow, but no one has time for this cold

We were lucky we were at LSC in the late 90s and not the 80s.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, dendrite said:

We were lucky we were at LSC in the late 90s and not the 80s.

I remember many, many -30s in Canaan, Island Pond and other NEK spots in the 70’s & 80’s. -32 at IP this morning. 

9 hours ago, mreaves said:

I remember many, many -30s in Canaan, Island Pond and other NEK spots in the 70’s & 80’s. -32 at IP this morning. 

I remember watching WCAX one day for the 6 pm news back in January 1994.  It was -27F in S Royalton out my window.  It rained the next day.

Event totals: 1.3” Snow/0.07” L.E.

Our next round of snow came into the area starting late last night with the current system known as Winter Storm Lamont.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 1.3 inches

New Liquid: 0.07 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 18.6

Snow Density: 5.4% H2O

Temperature: 29.5 F

Sky:  Light Snow (1 to 2 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 18.5 inches

3.0" of 17:1 fluff overnight.  Switched to RA here in AUG, not sure what's happening at home under the dry strip.  Yesterday was my 1st 20/20 day, for a mean of zero.  Makes 18 of 22 winters here reaching -20 or colder.  (Misses were 01-02, 05-06, 09-10, 12-13.)

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Start low. You can always go lower.

image.png

image.png

Ha. -40 at RUT.  

I was looking at some COOP stuff a while back and saw a -35F even all the way down here in the SVT valley banana belt during JAN 94 at the Dorset COOP.  So guess it's not impossible..but I will take the under on that...lol.

1 hour ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Ha. -40 at RUT.  

I was looking at some COOP stuff a while back and saw a -35F even all the way down here in the SVT valley banana belt during JAN 94 at the Dorset COOP.  So guess it's not impossible..but I will take the under on that...lol.

And 77 years ago on nearly the same date, CON hit -37 and PWM a head-exploding -39 just a stone's throw from (mostly) salt water.  Even NYC shivered at -8, their 3rd coldest morning on record.

18 minutes ago, tamarack said:

And 77 years ago on nearly the same date, CON hit -37 and PWM a head-exploding -39 just a stone's throw from (mostly) salt water.  Even NYC shivered at -8, their 3rd coldest morning on record.

Massabesic Lake near my birth house in S NH hit -43°.

This is a healing thread for snow-starved weens around the Megalopolis.

I'm taking my family up to Lake Placid/Saranac Lake this weekend and can't wait to get out in the depths.  I need some snow in my life and I have no problem traveling for it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dendrite said:

Start low. You can always go lower.

image.png

image.png

What the f*ck is this sh*t???? Ain't no one got time for that!

31.6F  Thick fog.

Gray and wintery today.   Light snow started around 8am and gave me about 1/4".  Bit of freezing drizzle during the day but temps have remained below freezing.  Ceiling has been very low so mostly in low clouds all day.   9" at the snow stake and the snow is dense with quite a bit of sleet mixed in.

Lowery day for sure.  Something's in the air here in AUG - fog, dz, frdz, can't tell (could go outside, I suppose.)    A number of stations reporting precip outside of the areas of radar returns; maybe it's originating too low to give a return.

3 hours ago, tamarack said:

Lowery day for sure.  Something's in the air here in AUG - fog, dz, frdz, can't tell (could go outside, I suppose.)    A number of stations reporting precip outside of the areas of radar returns; maybe it's originating too low to give a return.

We've had 20 minutes of moderate snow with large flakes today, then occasional freezing drizzle and now snizzle

12 minutes ago, alex said:

We've had 20 minutes of moderate snow with large flakes today, then occasional freezing drizzle and now snizzle

We got lucky and got smoked with a pretty heavy band for a couple hours picking up a quick 2" of paste.

IMG_5865.GIF.42689f80ed124735644d308bd59e3b60.GIF

2L8A3698_edited-1-1.jpg.b0cf854a2b1d475539d506a7b8b18a55.jpg

Event totals: 0.3” Snow/0.03” L.E.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.3 inches

New Liquid: 0.03 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 10.0

Snow Density: 10.0% H2O

Temperature: 33.1 F

Sky:  Cloudy

Snow at the stake: 16.5 inches

Event totals: 0.5” Snow/0.01” L.E.

The BTV NWS forecast discussion indicates that tonight’s snow is from the next northern stream shortwave, so this is being recorded as a different event from the one earlier today.

Details from the 12:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.5 inches

New Liquid: 0.01 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 50.0

Snow Density: 2.0% H2O

Temperature: 31.1 F

Sky:  Light Snow (2 to 8 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 16.5 inches

12FEB20A.gif

I woke up to 2.2 inches new overnight or last evening.  It was snowing at a nice clip when I put the dog out just before 8. It must have kept going for a bit.