• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Cold Season Thread

wxeyeNH

Alex's weather station with the sneaky below 0 reading this morning.

Been seeing the NWS graphics showing ridging and above normal temps for the eastern half of the country. Me thinks that indicates a boundary will set up somewhere and create overrunning snows, and be the focal point for ripples of energy. Just not sure where that boundary will set up.

Drove across NNE today to Millinocket, ME. The thin snowcover was noticeable through the Whites and western Maine. I have more snow at my house than much of that area.  Bethlehem and Twin Mt. in NH wasn’t good at all. It was a little better through. Berlin and Gorham, NH. From Bethel, ME until north of Bangor it was thin to at time just about bare. Dryslot  looks to be in a snow desert just about. Looks like good coverage here though. 

1 hour ago, mreaves said:

Drove across NNE today to Millinocket, ME. The thin snowcover was noticeable through the Whites and western Maine. I have more snow at my house than much of that area.  Bethlehem and Twin Mt. in NH wasn’t good at all. It was a little better through. Berlin and Gorham, NH. From Bethel, ME until north of Bangor it was thin to at time just about bare. Dryslot  looks to be in a snow desert just about. Looks like good coverage here though. 

Didnt even stop in to say hi...and you call yourself a weenie!  :)

9 minutes ago, mreaves said:

We used our stoppage allowance at P&H Truckstop in Wells River, VT. They make a good omelette and bake killer bread. 6 hours on the road after that. 

Substantial distances of east-west travel in NNE definitely take a while with no interstate and all those mountain ranges and sub-ranges to get around.  A little bit of travel inconvenience is part of the charm though, and a small price to pay for all the awesome geography.

1 minute ago, J.Spin said:

Substantial distances of east-west travel in NNE definitely take a while with no interstate and all those mountain ranges and sub-ranges to get around.  A little bit of travel inconvenience is part of the charm though, and a small price to pay for all the awesome geography.

I used to love my trips from Johnson, when my daughter was at college there, to Sunday River, took many different routes, always beautiful back roads.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

I used to love my trips from Johnson, when my daughter was at college there, to Sunday River, took many different routes, always beautiful back roads.

It’s slow going with the snowmobile trailer. I’m a timid tower and feel like every bump is going to cause the trailer to come unhitched. And some of those roads have a lot of bumps. 

Event totals: 0.2” Snow/Trace L.E.

Light snow and flurries started up at some point overnight with this latest shortwave trough affecting the area.  As of now, the BTV NWS discussion suggests that potential snow tomorrow would be from a stronger trough with better surface reflection and moisture content, so I’ll try to parse any accumulations out accordingly.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.2 inches

New Liquid: Trace

Temperature: 27.3 F

Sky: Flurries

Snow at the stake: 7.0 inches

14 hours ago, mreaves said:

We used our stoppage allowance at P&H Truckstop in Wells River, VT. They make a good omelette and bake killer bread. 6 hours on the road after that. 

That was my fav place to go eat when I was at Lyndon State. Now that I live back in that area I should go in for a bite to eat

January Totals

Accumulating Storms:  10

Snowfall:  34.4”

Liquid Equivalent: 3.93”

January snowfall this season was surprisingly similar to what we picked in December – probably a bit behind the long term average, but certainly decent and well within a standard deviation of the mean.  I think I heard PF mention that January temperatures were well above average around here, so if we can get comfortable temperatures like that and still manage at least a reasonably snowy result, that’s a nice way to run a month vs. getting stuck in the dry, arctic cold.  Last January dropped twice as much snow as this one though, so it’s on a whole different level, but I’d say this was a nice wintry month.

Checking on season progress, we’re currently at 82.4” of snowfall, which is only about an inch behind average pace.  We’ve been maintaining a fairly steady and average snowfall routine for over a month now, and that’s been the trend as we hit roughly the midway point in the snowfall season.

Event totals: 0.3” Snow/Trace L.E.

Very light snow/flurries today brought another tenth of an inch of snow that contained less that 0.01” of liquid.

Details from the 10:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.1 inches

Temperature: 26.2 F

6 hours ago, alex said:

Hey JSpin  what is your average snowfall? I only have a few years worth of data so hard to infer a meaningful average, but since we track so close to each other I would think yours would be a good approximation for mine!

My best estimate for annual snowfall here at our site is ~160”.

You can see from the table below that the mean for this site during our 13-year period of record thus far is 155.9”, but that’s likely a bit low due to the very aberrant 2015-2016 season.  The table shows how that season sticks out like a sore thumb compared to all the others.  Indeed, the statistical analysis reveals that season is an incredible 2.24 S.D. below the mean, which is essentially a 1 in 100-year event.  It’s a real value that should be included in the data of course, it’s just that the data set isn’t quite large enough to absorb a number like that without taking a substantial hit (that is probably overdone).  When that season was first added to the data set, it was such a dramatic difference from all the other seasons that it dropped the snowfall mean down into the 140s, but it’s slowly been creeping back up with help from the past three solid seasons to where it is now.  Without that outlier season the average snowfall comes in at 162.9”.  That may be a bit high of course, but ~160” seems about where I’d expect it to end up as the 2015-2016 number gets appropriately diluted.

Waterburywxsummarytable.jpg

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, J.Spin said:

You can see from the table below that the mean for this site during our 13-year period of record thus far is 155.9”, but that’s likely a bit low due to the very aberrant 2015-2016 season.  The table shows how that season sticks out like a sore thumb compared to all the others.  Indeed, the statistical analysis reveals that season is an incredible 2.24 S.D. below the mean, which is essentially a 1 in 100-year event.  It’s a real value that should be included in the data of course, it’s just that the data set isn’t quite large enough to absorb a number like that without taking a substantial hit (that is probably overdone).  When that season was first added to the data set, it was such a dramatic difference from all the other seasons that it dropped the snowfall mean down into the 140s, but it’s slowly been creeping back up with help from the past three solid seasons to where it is now.  Without that outlier season the average snowfall comes in at 162.9”.  That may be a bit high of course, but ~160” seems about where I’d expect it to end up as the 2015-2016 number gets appropriately diluted.

Waterburywxsummarytable.jpg

Your dataset is incredible. Thank you for sharing!

On 2/1/2020 at 2:19 PM, J.Spin said:

January Totals

Accumulating Storms:  10

Snowfall:  34.4”

Liquid Equivalent: 3.93”

Last January dropped twice as much snow as this one though, so it’s on a whole different level, but I’d say this was a nice wintry month.

January 8-10th brought a decent portion of January's snow for you last year.  What did you record for that storm cycle?  I know it was really localized with Smuggs reporting 38 inches and Stowe 'only' reporting 27 inches over the 3 day period.  

20 hours ago, mreaves said:

Spending some time in Maine. 

18D8D8E9-CB22-4029-8773-4625BBA5CB2E.jpeg

Is that Mt. Katahdin?  Looks gorgeous.  

Here's a picture of the Eastern face of Mount Washington on Janauary 24th of this year.

20200124_150531_copy_3991x1940.jpg

Holy crap.  I have not been on the boards or looking at models much lately but just did.  What an active pattern coming up starting late this week.  So many precipitation types and storms.  Winter is going to make a comeback throwing all kinds of stuff at us.

Fingers crossed. If something white doesn't materialize in some winter fashion by mid month, then I say torch it and bring on spring

1 hour ago, ChasingFlakes said:

January 8-10th brought a decent portion of January's snow for you last year.  What did you record for that storm cycle?  I know it was really localized with Smuggs reporting 38 inches and Stowe 'only' reporting 27 inches over the 3 day period.

Here at our site I recorded 22.5” from that storm cycle, which was about a third of the month’s snowfall.  It looks like the other relatively large storm from the month was Winter Storm Harper with 15.2” of snow.  I have the summary table for January 2019 at our site below:

02FEB20A.jpg

• Thanks 1

Event totals: 0.3” Snow/0.01” L.E.

We picked up a final tenth of an inch of accumulation overnight from the shortwave that had been affecting the area, but this evening’s snow is being considered part of this next shortwave currently affecting the area as discussed by the BTV NWS.

Details from the 8:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.3 inches

New Liquid: 0.01 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 30.0

Snow Density: 3.3% H2O

Temperature: 30.2 F

Sky: Light Snow (2 to 5 mm flakes)

• Like 1

I think I have now driven through the towns of all our NNE posters.  Decided to take Rt.2 home from ME yesterday and drove through Tamarack's town of New Sharon.  I think he's making up his great snowpack retention, in fact, I think I saw palm trees!  Just kidding.  It was interesting to see the ebb and flow of snow on the way through.  The Rumford area seemed to have a decent amount on the ground.  Of course the one thing I remember about Rumford is the smell of the paper mill and it's still there. 

Event totals: 0.4” Snow/0.01” L.E.

We’ve had continued very light snow from this latest shortwave, with a bit more falling as I left the house this morning.  We’ll see if there’s anything to add when I check later today.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.1 inches

Temperature: 27.3 F

On ‎2‎/‎2‎/‎2020 at 12:13 AM, J.Spin said:

I tried deleting your highest and lowest winters (kind of like Olympic diving judges) and the other 11 averaged 159.2", so 160 is looking good.

January stats/averages:
Max:   30.00  4.51 AN.  Mildest was 50 on the 11th, tied with 3 other days for 2nd mildest behind the 56 on 1/8/08.
Min:    10.68  6.90 AN.  Coldest was -17 on the 18th.
Mean: 20.34  5.71 AN and 4th mildest of 22   Mildest mean was 38.5 on the 11th, coldest -2.5 on the 18th.

Precip:  2.64"   0.57" BN, greatest day, 0.76" on the 12th.
Snow:  15.6"   4.0" BN, greatest day 4.8" on the 16th.  Greatest depth was 16" on the 19th and average was 10.9", 1.2" BN.

Kind of a meh month, as was December.  Hope February is more interesting.

17 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

Holy crap.  I have not been on the boards or looking at models much lately but just did.  What an active pattern coming up starting late this week.  So many precipitation types and storms.  Winter is going to make a comeback throwing all kinds of stuff at us.

Hi! Hope things are improving for you guys. My weather app is telling me to expect the kitchen sink...it will be nice to freshen up the pack and landscape.

5 hours ago, tamarack said:

I tried deleting your highest and lowest winters (kind of like Olympic diving judges) and the other 11 averaged 159.2", so 160 is looking good.

Thanks for the analysis – I haven’t done that one but it’s a nice way to sort of knock out extreme values, and it seems to reinforce my thoughts on that ~160” number.