2. Showers and thunderstorms located over the western Atlantic several
hundred miles west-southwest of Bermuda are associated with a trough
of low pressure.  This system is forecast to move northwestward and
a non-tropical low pressure area is expected to form when the system
interacts with a frontal boundary in a couple of days.  The low
could acquire some subtropical characteristics later in the week
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I see clouds rain and wind for two days on the GFS?

Looks like most escape with little to nothing, S and ENE aside.  NNE sees a great stretch of wx. A few patches of rain showers and a light gust of wind or two for most of SNE. This is a far cry from the explosive coastal storm and damaging conditions some were suggesting.

2 minutes ago, Dr. Dews said:

Looks like most escape with little to nothing, S and ENE aside.  NNE sees a great stretch of wx. A few patches of rain showers and a light gust of wind or two for most of SNE. This is a far cry from the explosive coastal storm and damaging conditions some were suggesting.

It's great for NNE, but pretty suck south of the MA border. 

4 hours ago, SnoSki14 said:

Those nonstop lows crashing heights out west is not a good sign going forward. 

Seems like a continuation of the past few years with a raging Pacific jet, hopefully we see some NAO blocking to counteract it a bit. 

I think it is something to watch as we head deeper into the fall. 

4 minutes ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

I think it is something to watch as we head deeper into the fall. 

I wonder if a large part has to do with the sub-tropical central/northern Pacific and state of the GoA. Exceptionally warm waters in that region and that may be helping to enhance ridging...ridges seem to amplify in that general vicinity and the response is amplification troughs across the west. Maybe also influenced by East Asian Mountain torque...though I don't fully understand that stuff. 

Anyways though if we keep seeing these super intense systems and high Rossby wave activity I would think Rossby waves of this magnitude are connecting with the stratosphere so this could help to weaken the stratospheric polar vortex as it strengthens moving into the winter...then it's just a matter of weakening the TPV which I think there are some signals which favor this potential.

I really wouldn't worry about what's happening right now though...we're really only entering the transition period and plenty of factors can influence things in about 6-10 weeks.

52 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

ughhh I want to go to NW MN Friday. I can't believe the totals the GFS/euro are dropping...they are going bonkers with that deform band. This sounding is FILTHY!!!

image.thumb.png.2ad95561372249914c298f7dcd471b10.png

That's beautiful.  Dendrite Growth Zone right smack in the middle of that incredible lift.

Going to be pouring fat flakes in that.

18 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Cheetah 

I'm with you.  There was an exchange with Dendrite one night this summer that seemed like he was giving Dendrite props for figuring it out.

Doesn't matter, I feel like anyone banned from the forum for the old political forum should be allowed back into the weather side.

But then he was referencing some snow events where he lived in SNH a while back and that sounds more like Birving.  We'll never know for sure, ha.  But the guy just wants to talk weather like the rest of us.  Who cares in the end as fun as it is.

4 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

That's beautiful.  Dendrite Growth Zone right smack in the middle of that incredible lift.

Going to be pouring fat flakes in that.

Take a look at this sounding. This is going to be quite historic across some of these areas. Snowfall rates could approach like 4-5''/HR if these signals hold true...and for a good several hours perhaps. 

2019100712_GFS_120_48.56,-94.53_winter_m

Just now, weatherwiz said:

Take a look at this sounding. This is going to be quite historic across some of these areas. Snowfall rates could approach like 4-5''/HR if these signals hold true...and for a good several hours perhaps.

Yeah, mean UVV's at -20.9 in the DGZ layer, saturated to 300mb...and that's a big area of upward motion in that 400-700mb layer.   Someone is pounding out ratios there.  Probably one of those 30-40dbz comma heads where you can pick up a foot in like 4 hours.

11 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah, mean UVV's at -20.9 in the DGZ layer, saturated to 300mb...and that's a big area of upward motion in that 400-700mb layer.   Someone is pounding out ratios there.  Probably one of those 30-40dbz comma heads where you can pick up a foot in like 4 hours.

The 12z Euro CRUSHES eastern ND and NW MN...holy crap. This is wild. Why can't we get something like this now...that would be awesome. 

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

That’s kind of wild. Tough to buy. 

Yeah just like those 5-10" rain amounts forecast this week by the EURO, lol.  

It's had some odd ball really wet runs recently.

Although these storm total amounts are pretty insane even for a random model run.

Couple months worth of rain.

ecmwf-boston-precip_120hr_inch-0914000.thumb.png.d57db87c3e57034af1ed1e3134fd4634.png