Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
October 2019 Weather Discussion

HoarfrostHubb

1 hour ago, Dr. Dews said:

Cold snowy October/November..we know where that path usually leads.:yikes::thumbsdown:

They both could be AN, def Oct. 

Also not sold on a big trough in the east just yet, I see plenty of WAR resistance with a mean trough near the lakes.

Would be an active pattern but mostly mild or near normal averaged out.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Dr. Dews said:

Cold snowy October/November..we know where that path usually leads.:yikes::thumbsdown:

Really hurt us last year when it started snowing in October.  Record snow depth achieved in November and again in January, maxing above 120” in March/April.  

Start the snowpack early and it usually means good things.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Really hurt us last year when it started snowing in October.  Record snow depth achieved in November and again in January, maxing above 120” in March/April.  

Start the snowpack early and it usually means good things.

I don't want to correlate northern mountain sub-climate with SNE populations, you could be right. In fact I'm going with a decent winter for NNE resorts.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dr. Dews said:

I don't want to correlate northern mountain sub-climate with SNE populations, you could be right. In fact I'm going with a decent winter for NNE resorts.

I just think the October snow stuff is foo-foo even in SNE populations.  I get the stats with extremely limited sample sizes...but just wait till that winter where it snows 4” on Halloween then 100+ the rest of the winter, ha.  

In the NNE mountains it makes sense there’s no correlation as it snows a lot more regularly in October...and a wide variety of winters follow.  No precursor indicator.  October mountain snow is like November snow in SNE.

Maybe there’s a September snow correlation in the NNE mtns?  

20 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

They both could be AN, def Oct. 

Also not sold on a big trough in the east just yet, I see plenty of WAR resistance with a mean trough near the lakes.

Would be an active pattern but mostly mild or near normal averaged out.

Every model and ensembles have a turn to cooler weather by end of the month. 

Just now, powderfreak said:

I just think the October snow stuff is foo-foo even in SNE populations.  I get the stats with extremely limited sample sizes...but just wait till that winter where it snows 4” on Halloween then 100+ the rest of the winter, ha.  

In the NNE mountains it makes sense there’s no correlation as it snows a lot more regularly in October...and a wide variety of winters follow.  No precursor indicator.

Maybe it is voodoo, you are the winter/snow fella and I'll defer. Lol

2 minutes ago, Dr. Dews said:

Maybe it is voodoo, you are the winter/snow fella and I'll defer. Lol

2002-03 my last winter living down south we had 2-3” near ALB in October, then followed with 100”+ winter and months of snow cover.  

Everyone remembers 2011-12 though as the Oct snow vs winter snow correlation.  Maybe it’s >12” in October is bad news? Lol.

19 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

2002-03 my last winter living down south we had 2-3” near ALB in October, then followed with 100”+ winter and months of snow cover.  

Everyone remembers 2011-12 though as the Oct snow vs winter snow correlation.  Maybe it’s >12” in October is bad news? Lol.

I've posted the stats for ORH before which has a much larger sample of measurable October snow than a place like BOS. 

ORH October snow has no correlation with total winter snowfall. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Whineminster said:

ding ding ding! Notice @ORH_wxman failed to mention that little tid bit! 

So if we remove the 2 octobers that produced 6"+ snowstorms, we are left with a bunch of octobers that had measurable snow and produced an average winter of over 80". 

Therefore....we should root for October snow as long as it isn't a blockbuster over 6". 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Dr. Dews said:

Do positive departures Nov/Oct correlate?

November temps correlate somewhat...we don't want a torch November....like +3 or more. That has a pretty bad track record. For ORH, here are the most recent Novembers that finished +3 or more

Not a single blockbuster winter in those with plenty of full-on ratters. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

November temps correlate somewhat...we don't want a torch November....like +3 or more. That has a pretty bad track record. For ORH, here are the most recent Novembers that finished +3 or more

Not a single blockbuster winter in those with plenty of full-on ratters. 

Snowy Novies seem to generally lead to good winters in SNE

5 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Snowy Novies seem to generally lead to good winters in SNE

Makes sense, you are already getting inches of snow in the seasonal total.  The more you can rack up early in the season, the better chance you have at a higher total by the end of the season.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Makes sense, you are already getting inches of snow in the seasonal total.  The more you can rack up early in the season, the better chance you have at a higher total by the end of the season.

Lol we only average 2 inches in Nov, top ten Novies for snow then following winter are split 50/50

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

So if we remove the 2 octobers that produced 6"+ snowstorms, we are left with a bunch of octobers that had measurable snow and produced an average winter of over 80". 

Therefore....we should root for October snow as long as it isn't a blockbuster over 6". 

It would be the one and only time weenies under measure and root for the snow to stop...short of 6”. Like, “yes, I only have 5.25”...winter is saved.”

• Haha 2