Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
October 2019 Weather Discussion

HoarfrostHubb

1 hour ago, Dr. Dews said:

Cold snowy October/November..we know where that path usually leads.:yikes::thumbsdown:

They both could be AN, def Oct. 

Also not sold on a big trough in the east just yet, I see plenty of WAR resistance with a mean trough near the lakes.

Would be an active pattern but mostly mild or near normal averaged out.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Dr. Dews said:

Cold snowy October/November..we know where that path usually leads.:yikes::thumbsdown:

Really hurt us last year when it started snowing in October.  Record snow depth achieved in November and again in January, maxing above 120” in March/April.  

Start the snowpack early and it usually means good things.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Really hurt us last year when it started snowing in October.  Record snow depth achieved in November and again in January, maxing above 120” in March/April.  

Start the snowpack early and it usually means good things.

I don't want to correlate northern mountain sub-climate with SNE populations, you could be right. In fact I'm going with a decent winter for NNE resorts.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dr. Dews said:

I don't want to correlate northern mountain sub-climate with SNE populations, you could be right. In fact I'm going with a decent winter for NNE resorts.

I just think the October snow stuff is foo-foo even in SNE populations.  I get the stats with extremely limited sample sizes...but just wait till that winter where it snows 4” on Halloween then 100+ the rest of the winter, ha.  

In the NNE mountains it makes sense there’s no correlation as it snows a lot more regularly in October...and a wide variety of winters follow.  No precursor indicator.  October mountain snow is like November snow in SNE.

Maybe there’s a September snow correlation in the NNE mtns?  

20 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

They both could be AN, def Oct. 

Also not sold on a big trough in the east just yet, I see plenty of WAR resistance with a mean trough near the lakes.

Would be an active pattern but mostly mild or near normal averaged out.

Every model and ensembles have a turn to cooler weather by end of the month. 

Just now, powderfreak said:

I just think the October snow stuff is foo-foo even in SNE populations.  I get the stats with extremely limited sample sizes...but just wait till that winter where it snows 4” on Halloween then 100+ the rest of the winter, ha.  

In the NNE mountains it makes sense there’s no correlation as it snows a lot more regularly in October...and a wide variety of winters follow.  No precursor indicator.

Maybe it is voodoo, you are the winter/snow fella and I'll defer. Lol

2 minutes ago, Dr. Dews said:

Maybe it is voodoo, you are the winter/snow fella and I'll defer. Lol

2002-03 my last winter living down south we had 2-3” near ALB in October, then followed with 100”+ winter and months of snow cover.  

Everyone remembers 2011-12 though as the Oct snow vs winter snow correlation.  Maybe it’s >12” in October is bad news? Lol.

19 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

2002-03 my last winter living down south we had 2-3” near ALB in October, then followed with 100”+ winter and months of snow cover.  

Everyone remembers 2011-12 though as the Oct snow vs winter snow correlation.  Maybe it’s >12” in October is bad news? Lol.

I've posted the stats for ORH before which has a much larger sample of measurable October snow than a place like BOS. 

ORH October snow has no correlation with total winter snowfall. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Whineminster said:

ding ding ding! Notice @ORH_wxman failed to mention that little tid bit! 

So if we remove the 2 octobers that produced 6"+ snowstorms, we are left with a bunch of octobers that had measurable snow and produced an average winter of over 80". 

Therefore....we should root for October snow as long as it isn't a blockbuster over 6". 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Dr. Dews said:

Do positive departures Nov/Oct correlate?

November temps correlate somewhat...we don't want a torch November....like +3 or more. That has a pretty bad track record. For ORH, here are the most recent Novembers that finished +3 or more

Not a single blockbuster winter in those with plenty of full-on ratters. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

November temps correlate somewhat...we don't want a torch November....like +3 or more. That has a pretty bad track record. For ORH, here are the most recent Novembers that finished +3 or more

Not a single blockbuster winter in those with plenty of full-on ratters. 

Snowy Novies seem to generally lead to good winters in SNE

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Makes sense, you are already getting inches of snow in the seasonal total.  The more you can rack up early in the season, the better chance you have at a higher total by the end of the season.

Lol we only average 2 inches in Nov, top ten Novies for snow then following winter are split 50/50

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

So if we remove the 2 octobers that produced 6"+ snowstorms, we are left with a bunch of octobers that had measurable snow and produced an average winter of over 80". 

Therefore....we should root for October snow as long as it isn't a blockbuster over 6". 

It would be the one and only time weenies under measure and root for the snow to stop...short of 6”. Like, “yes, I only have 5.25”...winter is saved.”

• Haha 2