Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Warm Season Thread

powderfreak

On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 10:10 PM, Redmorninglight said:

Spent the afternoon at Brandon Gap. Thanks J Spin for posting the link last week. The snow was variable but certainly workable. Beats long lines and crowded slopes on the holiday. Plus my legs are getting the workout I need for next weeks trip to Colorado. 

I just ran across a piece from REI that came out just after your trip - it discusses the RASTA model for BC skiing access, and it was neat to hear how people in other states in the Northeast are starting to follow their lead.  It also puts some numbers to the positive economic benefits (although $230,000 from 171 users on one day must somehow incorporate a lot of ancillary benefits).  The article notes that they’re in the process of getting approval to expand the Brandon Gap terrain into Chittenden Brook Bowl.  I’m not sure exactly where the terrain is, but Chittenden Brook itself appears to be across Route 73 on the opposite side of the gap.

https://www.rei.com/blog/snowsports/the-new-blueprint-for-backcountry-skiing-in-the-northeast

On ‎6‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 10:35 AM, powderfreak said:

My car is covered almost daily in a green coating, so much so that I need to run the wipers before pulling out.

And the washer - even my brand new wiper blades won't scrape the pollen clean without help.  The flowers on white pine are as abundant as in any year I can recall.  Barring a disaster (the record thaw of Feb 1981, followed by frigid cold, killed almost all the 1st-year cones in N.Maine) those trees should be loaded by late summer next year.

Earlier this year I had an inquiry on the ski areas page of our website that prompted me to update the page, so I’ve done that now that we’re in the off season and I’ve had a bit of time.  Like my usual north to south list of the major ski areas that I use for storm reports, I created a similar north to south list of the state’s smaller areas that are currently in operation, with annual snowfall numbers that I could scrounge up/estimate.  Naturally, not all these ski areas have expansive websites like the major resorts, but I was able to get reasonably current/relevant links for all of them.  I was aware of many of these ski areas, but there were still some that I didn’t know were in operation.  I know there are a number of Vermonters and Vermont ski enthusiasts here, so I figured I’d pass the list along.  I’ll cross post it in the ski thread as well for folks that don’t necessarily visit the NNE thread.

Hard’ack (82″)
Pete’s Tow (99″)
Lyndon Outing Club (103″)
Chapman Hill (79″)
Cochran’s (88”)
Cosmic Hill (104″)
Northeast Slopes (91″)
Pine Mountain (65″)
Harrington Hill (87″)
Twin Farms (82″)
Suicide Six (80″)
Ski Quechee (90″)
Bear Creek (150″)
Ascutney Outdoors (175″)
Timber Ridge (145″)
Bellows Falls (56″)
Hermitage (150″)
Living Memorial (56″)

• Like 1

1.34" through the tipper today. Quite a good soaking, but not enough to cause problems.

Meanwhile everything is so beautiful after a fresh rainfall at the height of the green season. I stopped at the peat sphagnum bog a short walk from the house. It looks solid, but I wouldn't dare walk on it. I bet those dwarf red spruces are a lot older than their size would suggest.

65059228_2096965220414823_525848904931999744_o.jpg

65162632_2096963880414957_4077898824226439168_o.jpg

June Precipitation: 5.45”

2019 Precipitation: 32.43"

2019 Water Year Precipitation:  50.90”

June averages just over seven inches of precipitation and is the wettest month at our site according to my data records.  While precipitation was more than an inch and a half below average this June, that still means plenty of liquid, so there was no obvious deficiency and the lawn and plants seem to be doing well.

Even without an especially wet June, 2019 calendar and water year precipitation are still running several inches ahead of average due to a surplus of moisture in the winter and spring.  November and May were substantial contributors in that regard with more than eight inches of precipitation each.

June stats at home:

Avg. max:  69.4   1.8 BN    Max:  82, on 6/10   Coolest max:  59, on 6/2
Avg. min:  46.9   2.3 BN    Min: 34, on 6/1   Mildest min:  58, on 6/28
Month's mean:   58.1  2.0 BN   Warmest day:  6/28, 77/58/57.5  (Month's only CDDs.)   Coolest day:  6/1, 65/34/49.5

Precip:  5.23"   0.07" BN  (June precip is 2nd only to OCT.)    Wettest day:  20th, 1.85"  Thunder days:  2, some rumbles on 6/22, decent storm early in obs period (9P to 9P) for 6/30.

YTD precip:  25.12", 108% of avg.  Feb-June:  19.63", 98% of avg

June cloudiness was AN, but not to the degree of April-May.  The 2.5 CDDs YTD are the lowest of 21 years here, eclipsing the 6.5 of 2009.

I am so fascinated by the many different climate zones just in the US. Yall are having 30s and 40s for lows in July. Down here it has just been a huge stretch of daily heat indices 105-111, and no wind. The daily average for wind lately has been 5mph. It is unreal. Lows dont drop bloelow the 70s, and it is so sticky that with the AC constantly running, I cant see out my apartment windows in the morning from the condensation. You would almost think I'm in another country. 

1 minute ago, #NoPoles said:

I am so fascinated by the many different climate zones just in the US. Yall are having 30s and 40s for lows in July. Down here it has just been a huge stretch of daily heat indices 105-111, and no wind. The daily average for wind lately has been 5mph. It is unreal. Lows dont drop bloelow the 70s, and it is so sticky that with the AC constantly running, I cant see out my apartment windows in the morning from the condensation. You would almost think I'm in another country. 

You are

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, #NoPoles said:

In 2004 and 2006 we spent a total of 3 mid-June weeks at GSP - daughter's wedding then 1st grandkid's arrival.  More than enough; the wedding was scheduled for 6 PM to avoid midday heat (mid 90s that day, with a wicked TS 15 minutes before the ceremony) but it was still hot at 10 PM.  Then 2 years later we had several days with upper 90s, 99 on the day my S-I-L and I chose to build a picnic table, out in the sun.  Greenville is at 1,000', which helps even though winds were lacking, and dews topped out about 70 which is probably lower than Nashville's been getting, but a far cry from NNE.  :(

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dryslot said:

Just COC out today, 80/53°F

Yeah man... was 80/50 this afternoon while hiking and it was perfect.  When the humidity stays down, there's a big difference between sunshine and shade.  Direct afternoon July sun is plenty hot at 80F, but step into the shade when the dews are low and it feels chilly comparatively.  

19 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah man... was 80/50 this afternoon while hiking and it was perfect.  When the humidity stays down, there's a big difference between sunshine and shade.  Direct afternoon July sun is plenty hot at 80F, but step into the shade when the dews are low and it feels chilly comparatively.  

Could take this all summer, In the shade its refreshing for sure.

1 hour ago, backedgeapproaching said:

I know CoastalWx jokes how it "clouds up by 10am" near the Greens, but this has been a nice long stretch of pretty clear skies(outside of storms/rain events) at least down here.  No orographic clouds to speak of it seems for a the past few weeks.

We’ve had a couple of days with what seemed like orographic clouds up here over the past two or three weeks, but certainly not many.  I actually like how those clouds come in, help keep the temperatures comfortable, and add variety to the weather.  It’s not as if they always mean rain, sometimes they just build, give you a half hour of cooler shade, then you get a break of blue for a while, and the cycle repeats.  In some cases you’ll get a passing shower as well, but it’s part of what keeps mountain weather interesting.

• Like 1