• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    havaeat_tr
    Newest Member
    havaeat_tr

2019 Mid-Atlantic Severe Wx - General Discussion

4 minutes ago, AmericanWxFreak said:

Fair amount of tree damage in Columbia again. I can't remember a stretch of severe like this in a VERY long time. 

Lost two ~3” limbs off my sycamore plus lots of smaller branches. Strongest winds from any storm this year. 

1 hour ago, Scraff said:

Holy hell! Whatever just blew threw Elkridge was fun!  No thunder or lightning which is weird, but damn it ripped hard for a bit. Loved it!

Yeah I was just getting some very distant rumbles and then the sky opened up and the wind got going. Pretty good storm with no T&L.

Drove through the storm that hit the American Legion bridge/Beltway around 5p or so...lots of quarter sized hail.  Had to pull over on the shoulder on the Beltway with my hazards on since it was nearly impossible to see at one point.

3 hours ago, biodhokie said:

ping pong ball size hail in Rockville!

About what time did that occur?

Best storm in years IMBY in terms of wind + rain.  Started with a bit of T&L but then just pouring sheets of rain for a solid 30 minutes and quite windy for a solid 10-15 mins (it felt longer).  Tropical storm-like during the 10-15 mins of strong winds.  About 3/4"-1" rain.  Temp dropped from 84 to 71 during storm.

5 people were injured in Prince William county

https://mobile.twitter.com/iembot_lwx/status/1135351055447801856

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON DC
901 PM EDT SUN JUN 02 2019

..TIME...   ...EVENT...      ...CITY LOCATION...     ...LAT.LON...
..DATE...   ....MAG....      ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....
            ..REMARKS..

0647 PM     LIGHTNING        2 NNE CHERRY HILL       38.59N  77.26W
06/02/2019                   PRINCE WILLIAM     VA   EMERGENCY MNGR

*** 5 INJ *** PICNIC PAVILION STRUCK AT LEESYLVANIA
            STATE PARK. PEOPLE WERE SHELTERING UNDERNEATH. ONE WAS
            DIRECTLY STRUCK BY LIGHTNING. THE OTHER 4 WERE STRUCK BY
            DEBRIS FROM THE PAVILION.

1 hour ago, mappy said:

.02” of rain as all storms missed me yesterday. 

Yup. Missed as well, but, gotta say, was thrilled to miss rain and wind. Still needing things to dry out a bit in my part of the area from the last year's onslaught of moisture.

9 hours ago, Kmlwx said:

Pretty tame in Columbia - but today was a BIG hail day for a good chunk of the area. Wow...severe season has been generous to this region this year. 

Let's see what we can do Wednesday. 

It's been concentrated on just a few areas though.  We could really use a good regionwide event or two.

41 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

It's been concentrated on just a few areas though.  We could really use a good regionwide event or two.

That's typically how severe is around here though. Two HoCo tornadoes in the span of around a week, big hail even in downtown DC, is pretty decent. Something like June 2012 is going to be very tough to come by. Wednesday looks incredibly meh to me right now

2 hours ago, Kmlwx said:

That's typically how severe is around here though. Two HoCo tornadoes in the span of around a week, big hail even in downtown DC, is pretty decent. Something like June 2012 is going to be very tough to come by. Wednesday looks incredibly meh to me right now

Dont need a derecho...a day of wedges would be interesting

Also we are going to start to enter our normal "pulse severe" phase time of year as we get through June and into July. I hope we can keep some of the nice shear we've had to work with this year. Imagine a 100+ degree day with high dews and nice shear combining with a good forcing mechanism. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Kmlwx said:

Also we are going to start to enter our normal "pulse severe" phase time of year as we get through June and into July. I hope we can keep some of the nice shear we've had to work with this year. Imagine a 100+ degree day with high dews and nice shear combining with a good forcing mechanism. 

110/72 with a nice EML

7 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

110/72 with a nice EML

We once had 102/78 with a nice EML.... and we got the 2012 derecho.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, high risk said:

We once had 102/78 with a nice EML.... and we got the 2012 derecho.

I just love how great a hot summer feels.  Working outside or going for a walk in th evening when everything is really warm with a deep orange sun setting against the corn fields.

• Confused 1

Just now, Eskimo Joe said:

I just love how great a hot summer feels.  Working outside or going for a walk in th evening when everything is really warm with a deep orange sun setting against the corn fields.

I hate 100+ and humid unless we are going to have severe to track. Blech lol

• Like 3

FWIW, I have no idea how real or not real Wednesday's threat is.      It's a low-amplitude, fast-moving shortwave for which there is little model agreement.

17 minutes ago, high risk said:

FWIW, I have no idea how real or not real Wednesday's threat is.      It's a low-amplitude, fast-moving shortwave for which there is little model agreement.

The only thing I've noticed that is consistent on most of the models is that it doesn't seem to be a high CAPE environment at all. Highest sounding SBCAPE I've seen is sub 1000 J/KG

5 hours ago, nw baltimore wx said:

You got .02" more than me. :lol:

damn and i thought my pitiful rain shower was bad. 

38 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

hot muggy nights are great for night swims in the pool. 

• Like 2