• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate/Eastern New York

Just now, Thinksnow18 said:

That 17.7 is from 1pm. It has not stopped snowing...not to mention I'm at almost 2 feet for the whole event. In fact I'm kinda questioning the low end of that as it has snows an average of an inch an hour for about 24 of the last 36 hours. Yes there were periods of 2 to 3 inch an hour and periods of 1/4 to 1/2 inch hour. It averages out. If this band stays put and it continues to snow 30" is not a pipe dream. 

I had a foot of snow earlier this morning not sure how much fell after but I'd estimate close to what KBUF is reporting..

21 minutes ago, WesterlyWx said:

This is absolutley epic for the northtowns for sure. You guys are gonna land up with 30” somewhere. 

lol this is crazy the southern band is actually drifting northwards towards your way Devin while the Northern one is heading towards the Falls area!

1 hour ago, DeltaT13 said:

Leaving Sunday morning (perhaps saturday night now) and heading to Lake Placid and Whiteface to ride Sunday through Wednesday.  Then heading over to Smugglers Notch and Stowe for Thursday through Sunday.  I'm currently exploring options to bail on the Vermont half of the trip.  The whiteface portion is happening regardless of weather as I already have too much invested in that portion of the trip.  At least Lake Placid is a super fun town with plenty of other things to do.  I foresee a lot of ice skating and bar hopping in my future, perhaps even a run down the bobsled course if we really run out of ideas and the mountain is beat/closed.  We'll just make the best of it.  

I’m going to Killington next Thursday through Sunday. Forecast is in flux

Looks like that main LES band moved back N a bit, although still a touch south. For as many awful radar shots as I've seen for Lackawanna/West Seneca, if this primary band can actually move in they'll be fine. 

4 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Just having a really hard time getting the Ontario stuff into town. It's snowing lightly, and it's windy, but the rates are not there to pile things up. Radar just doesn't look good.

Patience. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BuffaloWeather said:

southern band is intensifying and going north, 2" per hour outside right now. 

WUNIDS_map?station=BUF&brand=wui&num=10&delay=15&type=N0R&frame=0&scale=0.3130434782608696&noclutter=0&showstorms=0&mapx=400&mapy=240&centerx=483.05555555555543&centery=208.05555555555554&transx=83.05555555555543&transy=-31.944444444444457&showlabels=1&severe=0&rainsnow=0&lightning=Hide&smooth=0&rand=25814854&lat=42.72000122&lon=-78.83000183&label=Hamburg

I’m in OP at Southerstern and OP road in the Tops/Lowe’s Plaza. I know it’s illegal but I had to get my fix in. Beautiful here. Snow is pounding 2” an hour with pure whiteout conditions. Amazing how fast it went from no snow to poundtown. About 1 mile south of my house was ripping all the way to here but my house was just flurries. 

• Haha 2

Just now, WesterlyWx said:

I’m in OP at Southerstern and OP road in the Tops/Lowe’s Plaza. I know it’s illegal but I had to get my fix in. Beautiful here. Snow is pounding 2” an hour with pure whiteout conditions. Amazing how fast it went from no snow to poundtown. About 1 mile south of my house was ripping all the way to here but my house was just flurries. 

Get some video for me bro! About to go for a jeb walk but worried my phone will freeze. 

...A BAND OF LAKE EFFECT SNOW WILL AFFECT NORTHERN WYOMING...ERIE...
SOUTHEASTERN NIAGARA AND GENESEE COUNTIES...

At 557 PM EST, two bands of lake effect snow are producing snow fall
rates of up to 2 inches per hour along with visibilities near zero.
Temperatures are near or below zero with wind chills near -25
degrees below zero.

...THIS IS A PARTICULARLY DANGEROUS SITUATION...

Blinding snow and whiteout conditions are occurring.  A casual drive
or trip outside can quickly lead to a life threatening situation
without proper winter gear.  Please heed all travel bans.

Two separate bands are occuring east of Lake Erie.  One is over
Buffalo and edging into the Northtowns east past Batavia.  A second
and stronger band extends near Dunkirk to the Boston Hills, the
Southtowns, and into far northwest Wyoming County.  These bands are
converging over Genesee County and are producing whiteout conditions
there as well.  These bands will move a little to the north between
6 PM and 8 PM. Meanwhile, temperatures will continue to drop below
zero while wind gusts exceed 35 mph at times, producing blizzard
conditions at times along with dangerous wind chills.

7 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Thanks. Clearly I’ve been traumatized by my DC winter experiences.

The airport just west of town has been reporting +SN on an off for a while. It's going to be a fun night. BUF's SOO put out an SPS about an hour ago discussing the band consolidation/strengthening through the evening/overnight and setting up near Watertown. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Had to make a quick drive to get lock de-icer for a padlocked gate. A surprising number of drunk UB students were on the streets near south campus, totally underdressed for the conditions - wind chills far below zero, occasional heavy snow, high winds, and ground blizzards.

A lot of these kids are downstaters, and I don’t think they have any idea what they’re facing. Very concerned that tonight may see a tragedy.

4 minutes ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

And I think it stalled a mile south of me... Just can’t get into either of these bands today!!!

58d3f6872464264587bd9b52f1547ad5.gif

I’m just in it by 1/2 mile but I’m in and out of moderate snow. This just isn’t the storm for us man at all. One of the biggest bust I can remember. Glad everyone else got hit though, and glad I got my snow fix in OP. Just sucks driving back home down union going from total whiteout to flurries over 2 miles.