Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 30, 2019 Snow Squall Observations Thread

bluewave

12 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

Going to need a perfect track if there’s no cold high in the right spot.  The euro illustrates how it’s possible. 

its called "threading the needle" but the teleconnections are showing a storm signal for this time period - one thing that is worrisome for along the coast is the MJO in the warm phases

Ensemble Mean AO OutlookEnsemble Mean NAO OutlookEnsemble Mean PNA Outlook

1 hour ago, bluewave said:

All the available ensemble guidance indicates the potential for a phasing storm system around January 27-28th. This is one of the few times that the EPS, GEFS, and GEPS show this kind of potential in the 6-10 day range. We are still pretty far out in time for any specifics. But maybe we can use this for a dedicated new January storm thread. So the general January thread doesn’t get too crowded.

006A92E6-919A-4A53-BA46-AEDC07523631.thumb.png.5924d0d05ec23afd8d8b23c612b2d525.png

BB02CFAE-3372-46B4-9124-DBD1278B96DB.thumb.png.788cea8c7abaccdb5ac5cb5baf5c9684.png

B0E5E243-0C05-41DD-A0B6-519A9FCECD2E.thumb.png.04e8613db400c9e748108457e1375bb6.png

72901B33-83A7-406A-B165-DC01CED6D6F5.thumb.png.d45a7cc4240a4c010216de3912c93d98.png

I love Grand Planetary waves but we will need some luck to keep the coast all snow.  I would like to see the ridge axis to be a little further east here so I can keep the center off A/C  , but check out the moisture feed for this one as well.

Big ticket storm for someone. 

20190121_092118.thumb.png.35c2138d96e93eeef1fa788a18467402   JAN 21 2019 PLANET.png

IMG_6264.PNG.bd3bd6bad4be2f3794cd013c85e2759b  EURO WATER..PNG

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, PB COLTS NECK NJ said:

I love Grand Planetary waves but we will need some luck to keep the coast all snow.  I would like to see the ridge axis to be a little further east here so I can keep the center off A/C  , but check out the moisture feed for this one as well.

Also the trough looks like it has a chance to become negatively tilted - hopefully we can get a 50/50 low for this event - but the thing that is worrisome along the coast is the MJO in the warm phases

ECMF_phase_MANOM_51m_full.gif

18 minutes ago, PB COLTS NECK NJ said:

20190121_092118.thumb.png.35c2138d96e93eeef1fa788a18467402   JAN 21 2019 PLANET.png

IMG_6264.PNG.bd3bd6bad4be2f3794cd013c85e2759b  EURO WATER..PNG

Agree here. No -NAO, no 50/50 low, no big arctic high in SE Canada and yea unfavorable ridge positioning in the west. The Atlantic is definitely a real big problem though. As some others mentioned, the lack of cold is a big issue

Just now, snowman19 said:

Agree here. No -NAO, no 50/50 low, no big arctic high in SE Canada and yea unfavorable ridge positioning in the west. The Atlantic is definitely a real big problem though. As some others mentioned, the lack of cold is a big issue

The cold is here , but is it cold either side of what I think is a big storm is a valid question.

It would be a dagger if the 15 days were well BN and you phased a moisture laden storm off the E/C and the coastal plain surged for 12 hours.

Long ways off tho. 

DxcMVqPWsAEUB_P.jpg

DxcMWtpX0AEGD48.jpg

This is going to be another week of torture. Going to have to thread the needle, if I had to venture a guess you'd want to be NW of Middletown and west Milford to cash in again but we have an eternity to trend favorably. Cold air will be hard to come by at that point even though we're currently sitting in the single digits or colder everywhere. I'd sign up for the paste bomb that the 0z Euro was but it's very borderline.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PB COLTS NECK NJ said:

The cold is here , but is it cold either side of what I think is a big storm is a valid question.

It would be a dagger if the 15 days were well BN and you phased a moisture laden storm off the E/C and the coastal plain surged for 12 hours.

Long ways off tho. 

DxcMVqPWsAEUB_P.jpg

DxcMWtpX0AEGD48.jpg

Biggest issue in my opinion is no -NAO block. If there was, this would be game on for a massive snowstorm

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

NAO looks like it will trend down to neutral around the time of the storm or maybe a little negative

nao.sprd2.gif

Hoping the phaser idea is right but I don't see phasing at 500mb, even as occurred this morning in NYS to allow us to have very deep cold air here today.  I see 2 members of the GEFS that have an option for a closed low south of 35N,  and no no sign, imo, of phasing closed low aloft south of 40.  Doesn't mean it cant happen but i see a fast mover out of the se USA up the east coast, w so many details to remain. Wont comment for a couple of days til this gets a little better defined. Here's WPC take issued at 1AM, basically for Sunday into Monday.  Note GA 10-29% chance of 2+inches of snow via .25 w.e. frozen.  The darker green is 30-49%  ie... thats 51-70% non occurrence. I like the WPC idea, as an outlook...not a big big one but definitely a hazard producer and associated travel issues Sun-Mon, but from my s standpoint, more likely west of I95. 

Screen Shot 2019-01-21 at 6.03.31 AM.png

• Like 1

I’m not sure the storm will be as amped as the Op Euro shows.  It’s rare to see a storm dig into the Gulf like that.  That was almost a 1993 redux which just doesn’t happen often 
And if it is that amped, I would worry about it running inland no?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, USCG RS said:

And if it is that amped, I would worry about it running inland no?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Probably not inland.  Right along or just off the coast.  The eastern trof as the system is developing back across the western Gulf is too sharp and narrow for this to go west of the Apps

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Ericjcrash said:

This is going to be another week of torture. Going to have to thread the needle, if I had to venture a guess you'd want to be NW of Middletown and west Milford to cash in again but we have an eternity to trend favorably. Cold air will be hard to come by at that point even though we're currently sitting in the single digits or colder everywhere. I'd sign up for the paste bomb that the 0z Euro was but it's very borderline.

God help us all if we get another rainstorm in late January from a MIller A that takes a BM track no less. That would be the nail in the coffin for me.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, NutleyBlizzard said:

God help us all if we get another rainstorm in late January from a MIller A that takes a BM track no less. That would be the nail in the coffin for me.

if it is off the coast and takes a BM track the coast will at the very least go from rain to accumulating snow - its the storm that hugs the coast or tracks just inland along the coast that will produce more liquid then frozen in the immediate NYC metro ……….

1 hour ago, NutleyBlizzard said:

Some years it just don't wanna happen. We are seeing that we are missing the components, from what I am reading here, to make for a decent snowstorm for a lot of us in the subforum ( not all ) and so the likelihood is that it will not be a big snowstorm, or even a snowstorm. As a nonpro I am not clear on why we never seem to get blocking when we need it, but there you are....maybe some other factors can make it work. See photos on the news of DC, KY, NE all with snow OTG, and nothing here of significance. Oh well, that makes some, ok many, ok most, people happy I guess.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, snowman19 said:

There are indications of a ~1040mb high in SE Canada on most of the guidance, but the timing is variable due to the northern/southern stream differences. On the Euro, the Gulf low attacks the high from the S. Looking back at bluewave's initial post - the GEFS and EPS have a stronger high there than the Canadian ensembles. 

Will be interesting to see how this evolves the next couple days, but the majority of ensembles at 00z favored something closer to the Euro w/ the 500 wave cutting off somewhere over the Gulf Coast/Southeast. We saw this with the system a few days before Christmas where parts of the Gulf Coast/SE set new record low 500 heights. If something like that verifies (high heights Canadian maritimes, low in the SE CONUS), obviously this will be another high precip event for the region. Some hints of an east-based -NAO which would favor inland areas seeing highest risk for +SN. At least there is good agreement the EPO is in better shape.  Clusters of 500mb anomalies valid Sunday evening below.

clusters.thumb.png.569988afe7c0d5260b073bf54fd0c23b.png

• Rjay pinned this topic
  • BxEngine unpinned this topic