• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate/Eastern New York

No one wants a WSW flow, no one and unfortunately that's the way KBUF gets their blockbusters. Move to Hamburg or somewhere like that and you'll be happy. I will be in the NE thread soon as I'm moving out of this communist state, to Maine, where I'm able to live free, or simply die, lol!

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, CNY-WXFREAK said:

You talk about Tim, look in the mirror cuz, seriously.  

I’m literally the only poster on upstate that talks about places other then their own backyard. Not sure how you draw other conclusions. I’ve been posting on here since Eastern weather forums a decade ago with no drama.  But I’m dropping that now...move on or we may need to ask for a mod for upstate for the winter season. 

• Like 2

Was thinking of mowing the yard one last time but was busy Sunday.  Traditional to cut one last time then swap riding mower for the snowblower...could be tough this time around.

Let me be the first to say "Congrats Tug" for the upcoming *maybe* event and for the whole season.  

Go 'Cuse!

43 minutes ago, CNY-WXFREAK said:

No one wants a WSW flow, no one and unfortunately that's the way KBUF gets their blockbusters. Move to Hamburg or somewhere like that and you'll be happy. I will be in the NE thread soon as I'm moving out of this communist state, to Maine, where I'm able to live free, or simply die, lol!

Dude, stop baiting this forum with your politics. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Latest from kbuf

Behind the Friday system, as 850 mb temperatures cool down to
around -8C to -10C, lake effect snow showers will develop
across the favored west-northwest flow snowbelts downwind from
both Lake Erie and Lake Ontario. At this stage of the forecast,
lake induced instability looking rather impressive with lake
temperatures still running in the lower to mid 50s. We certainly
should see accumulating lake snows in these areas and would not
rule out the potenial for some moderate lake snows at times,
and the possibility for some blowing snow with the potential for
some gusty winds.

Later in the period, there is quite a bit more uncertainty in
how things will unfold with yet another system forecast to
track across the Great Lakes. Lake snows should meander
northward a bit Saturday night as the flow backs a bit ahead of
this system, but then gets pushed back south by Sunday behind
the system and will have a trend toward weakening with the
arrival of ridging and drier air along with increasing shear.

Temperatures during this period will be much colder than normal
with both weekend days only in the mid to upper 30s for daytime
highs and nighttime lows in the 20s to lower 30s. Wind chills
will likely drop into the teens at times

Dude, stop baiting this forum with your politics. 
Im not baiting anyone into anything. I just said get out and vote and somehow that was offensive, but it's okay when it gets hijacked buy real estate garbage right? Wait that's allowed because you talk about snow, well too bad what's good for the goose is good for the gander deal with it or don't read it, even better, block me!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

Did anyone see the latest GFS? Says forget the Lake Effect, let's have a November snowstorm for entire viewing area. There is definitely some support for a strong storm around that timeframe. 
gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_38.png&key=8a7bb0169762451fc047e819182bb7e831dfc257b060c7f4daa094709463f16f

41ab21efde4939571622dcda93522d41.jpg
Foot of synoptic snow in November? Can’t remember the last time that happened for BUF..??? Maybe my memory is just fuzzy? GFS wants to pop a big one. Time will tell!

• Like 1

It's snow time, folks: Upstate NY likely to get lake effect snow

Syracuse, N.Y. -- The season's first real lake effect snowfall is likely to arrive this weekend in Upstate New York.

"There remains high confidence that accumulating lake snows can be expected in the snow belts east of" lakes Erie and Ontario, the National Weather Service saidtoday. The snow could reach down into Central New York if the winds shift to the northwest, the weather service said.

There's even a chance for an extended, heavy lake effect snowstorm that would dump a foot or more of snow east of the lakes and bringing lighter snows to the south. The heaviest snow is expected in Tug Hill and the hills south of Buffalo.

"If I had to throw some numbers out, I'd say 6 to 12 inches in the good spots," said Tom Kines, a meteorologist with Accuweather.

The weather service said snow could fall Friday night through Saturday afternoon as the coldest air of the year so far sweeps across the Great Lakes.

"Such an air mass would easily be plenty cold enough to support areas of lake effect snow downwind of the lakes through Saturday," the weather service said. Snow would taper off Sunday as drier air moves in and the winds shift.

The air about a mile from the surface will fall to about 10 degrees, and surface temperatures in the lakes are about 50 degrees, the weather service said. The gap between upper air and the surface has to be just 23 degrees for lake effect snow to form.

The weather service isn't predicting yet how many inches of snow could fall or exactly where. Lake effect snow bands are notoriously narrow and can quickly shift directions, dumping heavy snow in one spot while leaving nearby areas snow-free.

Now for that potential of a foot or more: Dave Eichorn, longtime local meteorologist, said on his Facebook page today that the cold air, and the snow, could last for days.

"HEAVY Lake Effect SNOW beginning this weekend and continuing (off and on) well into next week," Eichorn wrote. "Some models even suggest a Nor'easter in the mix early next week."

Kines agreed that it looks like an extended run for lake effect snow, and that the snow will scatter across Western and Central New York as the winds change directions.

"It looks like probably into the middle of next week there's  going to be lake effect going on," Kines said.

Source

• Like 1

I hate to rain on anyone’s parade, but this aforementioned cold air looks very typical for November. 

It will be moderate and west based. The LES should be mostly at the east ends. 

The only way this gets interesting is if we see a storm develop along the EC or just inland. Climo would suggest inland runner ie: Great Lakes Cutter but the cold is pushing just a bit east for that so we will have to watch. Might be intriguing. 

Im starting early with the vague hogwash and climo. Can we please keep politics off this site? 

Cold front approaching the area..

6E584C99-FC65-4F88-8A93-0332622985FA.jpeg

Deepening low pressure will track from the central Great Lakes into
southwestern Quebec today, then on into central Quebec tonight. A
strong cold front associated with this system, currently over WNY
will push across the area through the mid afternoon. Strong west to
southwest winds will follow behind this cold front. 925H winds of
around 50 knots is suggested by some guidance, such as the NAM and
Canadian models. With subsidence aloft helping to mix some of these
winds down, the potential exists for some 50 knot wind gusts, with
the greatest potential for these winds near/along the Lake Erie
shoreline and into Western Niagara County. Winds will be strongest
from the mid afternoon today through early Wednesday morning.

A line of showers with an embedded thunderstorm possible will move
through with the cold front this afternoon. This line of narrow
showers will move through quickly and up to 0.10" of rain will be
possible, with maybe some slightly higher amounts within some
heavier showers within the main line. Behind the cold frontal
passage winds will increase, especially near the Lake Erie shore and
northeast of Lake Ontario.

12 minutes ago, dta1984 said:

Any chance you would have a slightly zoomed out image that has the north East corner of Ohio?  (I know I'm in the wrong subforum lol)

Sorry we don’t like Ohio folks stealing the juice from our lake. ;)

Still not sure how we’re on different sides of the same lake and you’re not in our sub-forum. Cleveland and the belts should be with us and the southern potion of Ohio should be with the Tennessee/Kentucky crew or even Pittsburgh. 

923C2D25-12CA-4C2A-AB36-423D81CCAD63.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 1