Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate/Eastern New York

1 hour ago, Thinksnow18 said:

Screenshot_2018-10-29-09-57-02.thumb.png.35d6a010c851fd05e5d741d40b9495b2.png

So I have to say this above and what the ECMWF have been forecasting since about mid October is really starting to make me wonder what the CPC is looking looking at with the next month and also for the winter as a whole. Checking out the first 10 days of November does not seem torch worthy and by mid month there appear many chances for cold air intrusions and the storm track pushing a bit further south out of Canada. To me the CPC is lazily forecasting on the basis of El Nino alone and not the stength of it,  position of the warmer Pacific waters off the West coast, upper level trends already, etc...

I agree with you. That is why I usually only go by the CPC for their 6-10, 8-14 and sometimes 3-4 week outlooks. Those are usually spot on 80-90% of the time. Anything beyond a month is not worth mentioning in terms of overall pattern setups. For precipitation it's even less, usually anything beyond 10 days is not worth mentioning. With lake effect you can predict overall setups/cold air a little bit sooner than synoptic events. 

WIVB in buffalo put out their winter outlook and of the 4 Mets 2 said normal snowfall 2 below, the same 2 said average temps that said normal snowfall and the 2 that said below normal snowfall said above normal temps...not really sure what signals they're seeing that gives them those predictions...although they are just that after all.

I'm not even going to begin looking for snow till about November 20 or right around Thanksgiving time because that's when we usually see out first measurable or accumulating event of the season.

It seems as though every year winter begins later and later and ends earlier and earlier. What does that mean, who really knows, but I'm just looking for an old fashioned Winter!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

On 10/29/2018 at 10:03 AM, Thinksnow18 said:

Screenshot_2018-10-29-09-57-02.thumb.png.35d6a010c851fd05e5d741d40b9495b2.png

So I have to say this above and what the ECMWF have been forecasting since about mid October is really starting to make me wonder what the CPC is looking looking at with the next month and also for the winter as a whole. Checking out the first 10 days of November does not seem torch worthy and by mid month there appear many chances for cold air intrusions and the storm track pushing a bit further south out of Canada. To me the CPC is lazily forecasting on the basis of El Nino alone and not the stength of it,  position of the warmer Pacific waters off the West coast, upper level trends already, etc...

Are they picking up on a SSW event? Anyone have the wind chart for that? Usually a 6 week lag, I believe.

3 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Erie is 1 degree below normal for the date. That is why temperatures in summer have no correlation to the lake effect season. A few weeks of below normal in Oct/Nov is all it takes. Wouldn't mind a warm up the next few weeks. 

A few weeks...  Erie went from a record warm temp on the 13th to below average 10 days later on the 23rd.  This cold snap took off 14 degrees over a 19 day time window.  

4 hours ago, vortmax said:

Are they picking up on a SSW event? Anyone have the wind chart for that? Usually a 6 week lag, I believe.

I can't find one, maybe BW can get one? The SSW that appears on the CFS does have support in the ECMWF for the end of November. The question is does it propagate enough to get that low to elongate more towards N.A. and drive our first cold blast.

1 hour ago, BuffaloWeather said:

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_neus_35.png

Bring it on! Really hoping it’s on to something at this time range, obviously the details will be worked out more as we move inside a week and especially within 5 days but it’s nice just to see a consistent signal for a potential event. It seems like our big storms are usually signaled in the models a good 10 days in advance so really hoping other guidance is on board with it too.

30 minutes ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

CPC analog keeps hitting on Nov 2003. Not a huge snow producer but an intense early season band that had a ton of thunder and lighting. 4-6” event with 10” our in Alden.

https://www.weather.gov/buf/lesEventArchive?season=2003-2004&event=A

Can you send me link for those analogs? I usually use CIPS, but they don't give individual analogs outside of 5-6 days. 

Found it, using the 8-14 day analogs.

• Like 1