Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
August 2018 General Discussion

snowlover2

On 8/19/2018 at 1:49 PM, Hoosier said:

There's a nice warm signal toward the end of this month and into the first days of September.  We'll see if it happens.

I'm really loving that signal, a good heatwave starting on the weekend. Last night I felt ever so slightly cool so here's to some fun heat. I'm already looking forward to some Autumn heatwaves in late September and October...the smell in the air during those is one of the best things ever.

Today is the ninth anniversary of Ontario's main and most significant tornado outbreak of the 2000s. It was the highest daily tornado count on record for my province. 1 death in Durham Ontario and hours after the twister I visited the damage site which was the first time I've seen intense tornado destruction. To say the whole event was surreal is an understatement.

This system's deformation band has dumped 8-10 inches of rain near the Missouri river in the Omaha area over the last thirty hours.  Scattered cells around here are dumping pretty heavy rain, but they've been too brief.  I got a quick half inch first thing this morning, but reaching an inch has been more of a struggle than I expected.

50 minutes ago, wisconsinwx said:

I'm not sure I can fathom how bad the flooding on the west side of Madison into Middleton is right now; it's been training for a few hours there, even with 40dbz returns it has been pouring here, and they've had consistent 50-60dbz returns.

Would not be surprised if we see one of those flash flood emergency statements out there at some point.  

Dumping here now.

9 minutes ago, IWXwx said:

Any drought concerns are null and void here now. 2.86" yesterday/last night and 7.09" since 7/31 and it is currently raining.

Picked up another .01”, for a total of .14”.

Drought concerns will intensify, however they seem to be very local. Areas 8-10 miles north have been quite wet with lush yards. A rental property I own in Sycamore has been mowed twice in the past week, yet I haven’t had to mow my own yard here just south of Dekalb in over 4 weeks. 

Parts of western Dane county reportedly got 11 to 13" of rain.  There is an ongoing recovery operation on the west side of madison for a missing person swept away in the floods.  This morning a number of streets in Middleton and the west side of Madison are impassable due to water and abandoned cars. Some residents of Mazomanie are being asked to evacuate due to flooding on Black Earth creek. Makes me feel lucky all I really had to deal with was a bit of water in the basement that the dehumidifier took care of pretty quickly. 

2 hours ago, SchaumburgStormer said:

Picked up another .01”, for a total of .14”.

Drought concerns will intensify, however they seem to be very local. Areas 8-10 miles north have been quite wet with lush yards. A rental property I own in Sycamore has been mowed twice in the past week, yet I haven’t had to mow my own yard here just south of Dekalb in over 4 weeks. 

Wow. That's really spotty. Is it just your specific location or are you on the edge of a larger deficit area?

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MILWAUKEE/SULLIVAN WI
945 AM CDT TUE AUG 21 2018

..TIME...   ...EVENT...      ...CITY LOCATION...     ...LAT.LON...
..DATE...   ....MAG....      ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....
            ..REMARKS..

0920 AM     HEAVY RAIN       CROSS PLAINS            43.11N 89.64W
08/21/2018  M15.33 INCH      DANE               WI   PUBLIC

24 HOUR RAINFALL TOTAL.

Here in the eastern parts of the metro we did not get hit nearly as bad. I got about 4" here. I haven't checked out the Crawfish today,but I'm assuming that it's not that high as there was less rain to the north. I haven't heard too much about any impacts in Sun Prairie or The East Side so i am assuming that they came thorugh realtivley unscathed. A big concern of mine right now is the level of Lake Mendota. It has already gotten past the record set in 1993 and is still rising. I've seen a couple of photos of flooding of backyards on the lake. That is quite rare for that to happen.

• Like 1