• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
July Discobs Thread

George BM

Models seemed to have locked into a more westerly solution and a very soggy Saturday here. Whether it's enough to cause flooding is another question. It looks like the system moves quite quickly through the area, so I'm guessing that will limit the amount of rainfall we get. Think I'm skipping the beach this weekend though. Saturday will be a washout and Sunday looks iffy with rain and I'm guessing it will also be rather cool and breezy.

From Mount Holly morning AFD-

Saturday and Saturday night...The coastal low will start to make its way up the coast on Saturday. The models continue to have differences with respect to timing, strength, and speed of the low as it moves up the coast but the solutions again look closer than they did on their previous runs. The models have all shifted slightly west with the track of the low, with it hugging the coastline. All of the guidance continues to suggest heavy rainfall with the low as it moves across the region. WPC has put us in a slight risk for excessive rainfall and we agree. Hi-res models and the deterministic models show 2-5+ inches in some areas through Saturday. However, with the exact track and timing (GFS is fast, NAM is slower, and ECMWF is slower still) still a bit uncertain, it is hard to pinpoint just which areas are the most at risk for the higher rainfall totals. Flash flooding is a concern and although we have had a dry period of late, the rain will fall quickly and will not be as easily absorbed into the ground. A Flash Flood Watch may be needed as the details become a little clearer based on later model runs today.

47 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

Hey mattieg, those last few frames of the 12z 3km NAM remind you of anything?

4 minutes ago, mattie g said:

Unfortunately, yes. I’ll let someone else have Lee Mk 2, thankyouverymuch.

Huh... I didn't get that vibe from the 3km NAM final few precip frames

Just now, yoda said:

Huh?  We got 13 inches of rain where I was

We can take it to the banter/ot thread since it's a past event but Lee wasn't a big deal for the immediate DC/Baltimore metro areas.  Some isolated areas got big totals but the widespread heavy rains were confined to the mts. of VA, MD and PA.

4 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

We can take it to the banter/ot thread since it's a past event but Lee wasn't a big deal for the immediate DC/Baltimore metro areas.  Some isolated areas got big totals but the widespread heavy rains were confined to the mts. of VA, MD and PA.

https://www.weather.gov/lwx/events_20110905_lee

The most intense rain bands formed on Wednesday, September 7th and Thursday, September 8th, when the worst flash flooding occurred.

On Wednesday morning, September 7th, a torrential rainband set up in a north/south orientation across Maryland from Charles County into Baltimore County. Rainfall rates of 2 to 3 inches per hour occurred for several hours within this band, causing numerous high water rescues, road closures, and flooded homes. Of note was a rain gauge in Bowie, MD, that observed 4.57 inches of rain in 3 hours, which is an amount that only has a 0.5 percent chance of occurring in a given year. Central Charles County (above) and Ellicott City (left) in Howard County were particularly hard hit.

On Thursday, September 8th, the heaviest rainband set up slightly west of the previous day. This band brought torrential downpours through much of the daytime hours along a swath from King George County, VA to Montgomery County, VA, including the western suburbs of Washington DC. Extremely anomalous 3-hour rainfall amounts were recorded at several automated rain gauges during the event. One near Franconia observed 5.47 inches, a 3 hour amount that has approximately a 0.2 percent chance of occurring in any given year. A similarly rare six hour rainfall amount of 6.57 was observed at Reston (see right). Also, at Fort Belvoir, an automated weather station tallied 7.03 inches in only 3 hours. Rainfall of this magnitude and duration has a 1 in 1000 chance of occurring each year. This amount of rain caused nearly catastrophic flash flooding in portions of northern Virginia. Tragically, at least 2 people lost their lives in floodwaters in Fairfax County. Hundreds of citizens of Fairfax and Prince William County were evacuated. Numerous major thorough-fares were flooded and closed, including portions of the Capital Beltway, Interstate 66, and George Washington Parkway. The Virginia Railway Express’s Manassas Line and numerous school districts remained closed into Friday as floodwaters slowly subsided.

Weird. I'm right in the purple stripe but don't remember it being a big deal. However, wasn't that a storm that flooded downtown Ellicott City? It wasn't anything like we saw in the last two flash floods with water raging down the road, but I think there was some of that to a much lesser degree and there was some minor flooding/damage down by the Patapsco at the bottom of Main Street.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic