• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
9th annual Lawn Thread 2018

Damage In Tolland

5 young 100% american chestnut trees arrive on Wednesday. Supposedly these are 3rd/4th generation plants from selectively bred trees that have a much higher blight resistance than the original trees. Gene picked up 4 as well. Hopefully a few of them can grow up to produce nuts in 8-10 years.

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 9:19 PM, dendrite said:

Lisa snapped a pic of the one on rt 3 tonight. Saw one in MHT today too, but it had already lost most of its flowers. 

53376B56-54AE-4C3E-9B36-380F439B3265.jpeg

1BCB6B89-9A5D-4201-837C-99B7B6BBED8F.jpeg

By late summer that tree will probably be loaded with "bean" pods.
A friend in Augusta lost a large catalpa to Gloria, and had some boards sawn from the trunk.  The wood isn't particularly durable, but the light and dark golden grain with prominent darker rings was striking.

leaves the size of elephant ears?

This comparison led me astray.  Catalpa has leaves the size of saucers - 6-7" across.  Pawlonia has leaves the size of dinner plates.  One is an immigrant from the South, the other from Asia.
Edit:  The wiki article on Paulownia (I've been misspelling it) notes that the leaves can be mistaken for catalpa, though the former are usually much larger, especially on young trees.  Paulownia flowers are purple, however, not white.  (I've never seen one in flower.)

there is def. a lack of water going on. hard to tell about fert without seeing it and knowing how much or what you put down. either way, a decent amount of rain today should help quite a bit. unfortunately with that slope, heavy rains are just going to runoff and not drain into the soil. but every little bit helps.

5 minutes ago, dendrite said:

heh...would hope not this early. ;)

I think it’s some kind of fungal leaf spot. 

That's probably correct.  In my experience, blight infects the wood (through wounds in bark) rather than the leaves, and kills the above-ground stem by destroying the cambium layer, thus girdling the tree.

On 6/25/2018 at 9:39 AM, amarshall said:

Mid season form before the impending crabgrass battle.  Lawn stripes with new big league lawns roller that goes behind the Honda. 

86wI8jx.jpg

damn hypercapitalists...nice 

My lawns look really good considering the dryness over the last 2 months.  We have been rotating sprinklers giving the lawn about 3 hours of water a day and really pushing our 700 foot deep well to the limit.  Water about 90 minutes then let it recharge.  Use organic fert. 15-1-10 with a broadcast spreader set to 6 and have done that twice so far this season.  Hopefully we can score a nice T storm or 2 over this upcoming heatwave either by a MCS coming down on a NW flow or pop up storm later in the week. Here are some pics and the sunset over Newfound Lake last evening via drone.

back.jpg

front.jpg

road.jpg

sunset.jpg

• Like 3

My lawns look really good considering the dryness over the last 2 months.  We have been rotating sprinklers giving the lawn about 3 hours of water a day and really pushing our 700 foot deep well to the limit.  Water about 90 minutes then let it recharge.  Use organic fert. 15-1-10 with a broadcast spreader set to 6 and have done that twice so far this season.  Hopefully we can score a nice T storm or 2 over this upcoming heatwave either by a MCS coming down on a NW flow or pop up storm later in the week. Here are some pics and the sunset over Newfound Lake last evening via drone.
back.thumb.jpg.9c98b4c0cbf6b32f1c006239831d55c5.jpg
front.thumb.jpg.ff03b0e660ecbe68aaad2ba321869ebf.jpg
road.thumb.jpg.e962c6eaeaa6dda8a9ac0d57e9d8fb6d.jpg
sunset.thumb.jpg.b54064af140c67a648b1df1a92b871c9.jpg
In ground sprinkler system?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Lava Rock said:

In ground sprinkler system?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Lava,  I jury-rigged a system.  On my outside faucets, I attached multi-valve faucets output.  Then ran garden hoses around the house to the sprinkler on pole system.  I bought these at tractor supply, a bit like the bigger ones you see on golf courses. You can adjust the swing and length of stream.  So we just turn on the faucet and open up the appropriate valve.  I can get the stream pretty to shot pretty far away.  Then for areas, I can't reach I have a walking sprinkler. It's made by Nelson. They are very cool, use water pressure to propel and track along the garden hose I lay out.

sp.jpg

sprinkler.jpg

• Like 1