• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 13th ... west Atlantic bombogenesis type low clipping SE New England, more certain ...may be expanding inland

Typhoon Tip

The northern stream energy is currently over Yukon/Northwest territories in Canada... I could be convinced better sampling will hone in the correct solution

Biggest changes imo were better digging of northern stream and delay of southern stream... looking at hr 48-60 you're almost expecting better stream interaction and a near phase but the flow is too fast

Just now, wxsniss said:

The northern stream energy is currently over Yukon/Northwest territories in Canada... I could be convinced better sampling will hone in the correct solution

Biggest changes imo were better digging of northern stream and delay of southern stream... looking at hr 48-60 you're almost expecting better stream interaction and a near phase but the flow is too fast

I don't disagree there ...  however, I really think the handling of the western ridge is pretty important in the fray of this whole thing.

As that feature you're noting finishes rounding the arc up there and starts descending in latitude ... if the ridge bulging in the backside (also keyed into the +PNA modularity/onset) is robust enough it will happen in tandem, and the impulse will start really carving more S as it cross the 50th parallel.  That would transitively mean a correction west ... and in fact, we may already be seeing the anatomy of that playing out, because one aspect I am in fact seeing across the models et al, is that around 48 hours from now, ...indeed the geopotential lines are pushed back west as that wave is coming down.  That feature coming down west in that situation would also be doing so as a stronger (upshot), but also, cause more cyclonic rotation between it and the S/stream impulse ...a key spatial relationship for phasing potential.

What goes up out west, punishes the E by forcing things down... that's the short metaphor.

So we'll see... But let's not forget that +PNAP result of the +PNA out west!

4 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Here is you deformation goodies...interior se MA, through Boston, up along the north and shore and into coastal ME is getting crushed on the Euro.

Euro H7.png

Yeah I commented further up that I thought BOS to PYM looked pretty darn good at the furthest NW point of the CCB. They'd prob get the Berkshires/S VT band from last storm (obv doesn't mean the same amounts though) 

8 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah I commented further up that I thought BOS to PYM looked pretty darn good at the furthest NW point of the CCB. They'd prob get the Berkshires/S VT band from last storm (obv doesn't mean the same amounts though) 

Some of that was upslope augmented, no doubt.

5 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I don't disagree there ...  however, I really think the handling of the western ridge is pretty important in the fray of this whole thing.

As that feature you're noting finishes rounding the arc up there and starts descending in latitude ... if the ridge bulging in the backside (also keyed into the +PNA modularity/onset) is robust enough it will happen in tandem, and the impulse will start really carving more S as it cross the 50th parallel.  That would transitively mean a correction west ... and in fact, we may already be seeing the anatomy of that playing out, because one aspect I am in fact seeing across the models et al, is that around 48 hours from now, ...indeed the geopotential lines are pushed back west as that wave is coming down.  That feature coming down west in that situation would also be doing so as a stronger (upshot), but also, cause more cyclonic rotation between it and the S/stream impulse ...a key spatial relationship for phasing potential.

What goes up out west, punishes the E by forcing things down... that's the short metaphor.

So we'll see... But let's not forget that +PNAP result of the +PNA out west!

What's "PNAP"?

Agree, this is best illustrated toggling 12z/0z at hr 48: with a sharper ridge in the west, we get a further west track and sharper dive of northern stream... it also seems to be delaying the exit of the southern stream... everything is slightly less progressive, so net effect is a better interaction.

Feels like we have good buffer here in eastern SNE... pretty confident we get at least a moderate hit even with more or less stream interaction, and ensembles support a closer hit.

Just now, wxsniss said:

What's "PNAP"?

Agree, this is best illustrated toggling 12z/0z at hr 48: with a sharper ridge in the west, we get a further west track and sharper dive of northern stream... it also seems to be delaying the exit of the southern stream... everything is slightly less progressive, so net effect is a better interaction.

Feels like we have good buffer here in eastern SNE... pretty confident we get at least a moderate hit even with more or less stream interaction, and ensembles support a closer hit.

Its the Pacific North American Pattern

40 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Well to be fair I didn’t comment but I had about 5 model windows open so couldn’t multi task fast enough...lol.  6+ for us the n the euro.

Yeah we could all use multi-monitor consoles instead of 15+ tabs open simultaneously on a phone.

I think we're in a great spot on this one, the 3rd of the Goldilocks storms.

2 minutes ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

Its the Pacific North American Pattern

Actually .. no, the PNA is the Pacific -North American Pattern. 

The PNAP is the Perennial North American Pattern.  It refers to the baseline state ... which is the average state of the perennial flow from west to east across the country. 

Because of the Rocky mountains, the air is forced up and over, but the Coriolis param bends that motion into an anticylonic (ridge) construct - but it's not extreme... It just like a tendency.. Counter balancing, there is a tendency to flatten the flow/quasi troughing relative to, down stream over the E. 

Such that a  neutral PNAP takes on that complexion.

A -PNAP is some variation in the opposing direction ... such a trough in the west and a ridge in the east.  And naturally ... a +PNAP is a an exaggeration of the basal flow structure. 

I like to discuss these as different "modes" ...even though "mode" doesn't really apply to PNAP.  I do so, though, because there are times ...albeit rare, where a -PNA has some western ridge and vice versa.

• Thanks 1

Not to be a jerk but I didn't think or expect really the EPS mean to look too much different.  Mainly because it rarely does.

Unlike the GEFs, which really do behave like a perturbed variations, the EPS members seem to just really move with the operational. 

That's not knock on the ECMWF system... Frankly, I'm not sure why that is the case.  But the EPS has differences among the members that are rarely as extreme as the GEF members. 

So, having the mean look similar sort of expected for me.  I think we may yet see one last correction west ...next cycle, it's a matter of how much.  As I mentioned earlier, I could see that coming perhaps "too far" west before settling back toward or just outside the BM.  Going to be interesting ...