• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 7th 2018 Coastal Storm thread (not obs)

Rjay

1 minute ago, friedmators said:

pretty sure i said that but thanks

No you did, but i'm just saying even in short range, I wouldn't put too much stock into it man. Would look more at the HRRR and some of the different models. Even 3K and 12K nam's are pretty darn good.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, RDRY said:

With the EURO only running every 12 hours, it's at a major disadvantage with these tight-margin setups under 48 hours. Who's to say that the model wouldn't output a significantly different solution were it to run just an hour or two after its run? But it has to wait half a day, after three or more runs from other models, so it's perceived as being late to catch on.

The Euro two more cyclone before precip starts in earnest. If it can't get it nailed down in that time allowance then running it a hundred times a day wouldn't help matters.

Guys, lets put our weenieism aside and lets see the rest of the suite roll in, everyone over reacted off the nam yesterday as well, relax.
My issue is not so much that the NAM is coming west, it's that synoptically it makes sense. The ULL looks to be getting here quicker, raising heights and thus allowing for a much further west track coinciding with a storm going negative very early (for the metro area).

The caveat I see is this: if we amp too quickly and have an initial occlusion/stacked phase... Then perhaps it keeps the area cold and from jumping so far north before getting shunted east. The devil is in the details

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

anyone know how this map is processed...i finded it hard to believe POU gets 2 " with that precip

2.png

It's used to cut down on bogus snow accumulation maps when sleet and warmer type solutions are on the table. This imo is a rain or snow type ordeal, so wouldn't put much if any stock into it. It was derived from Brad Ferrier. Cohen explains it in an article pretty well.

25 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Verbatim that NAM is a brief period of snow to heavy rain, to dryslot, to maybe a period of snow after the dryslot where we are. Would be at most 2 or 3” of slop that odds are would be washed away in the heavy rain. We’re still close so a little east of that track might be OK here, but it’s concerning this close in that the NAM is trending west like this. 

considering the time of year and the marginal temps I doubt we get 2-3" if it rains...if the nam is right and I put little stock in that model, we will get little to nothing...

8 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

anyone know how this map is processed...i finded it hard to believe POU gets 2 " with that precip

2.png

It tries to add a dose of reality, but it's way overdone. Western Mass has zero issues that will affect accumulations.

The Ferrier method is much better than Kuchera... both historically and based on the synoptics of that 3km NAM solution. If you look at the soundings, POU gets dryslotted in the mid-levels. You generally need a saturated cloud layer colder than about -8C or -10C for reliable activation of ice nuclei, so in the following sounding, there might not be an adequate source of ice crystals to see significant snow. There is plenty of lift around -4C so that may well be straight rain, despite what the #prettycolors say.

4gK9AbK.png

3 minutes ago, weatherlogix said:

considering the time of year and the marginal temps I doubt we get 2-3" if it rains...if the nam is right and I put little stock in that model, we will get little to nothing...

We probably would get some snow on the front end for a couple of hours. 850 temps are cold to start. But as the 700/850 lows approach and winds turn more easterly, the column would warm up pretty fast and we go to rain. 

6 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

We probably would get some snow on the front end for a couple of hours. 850 temps are cold to start. But as the 700/850 lows approach and winds turn more easterly, the column would warm up pretty fast and we go to rain. 

and this was the model that gave us anywhere from 6-15" of snow from the last storm up until the last nano-second. We wait....

• Rjay unpinned this topic

Archived