Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Countdown to Winter 2018 -2019

eyewall

2 hours ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

We are about to begin October. If this el nino is going to try to go more east or take off, which I am about ready to write off, then it will do so now.

Its not happening with that subsurface....it will take at least a month to realign that, prob longer. And by that point, then it's another several weeks to get it to surface...so we're talking like Dec/January by that point. Pretty much too late to have a major impact on winter. Maybe it could impact March...and that assumes the changesstart happening right away. I don't see it in the kelvin waves...there's one near the date line but it looks like it weakens significantly as it goes east and that is just going to reinforce the west-based idea.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

It doesn't have to be a blockbuster, either, but odds are greater than usual for above normal snow and below normal temps.

No guarantees, though.

Yeah based on ENSO and solar, it's hard not to be optimistic....though '94-'95 is still lurking. It wasn't a solar min but getting close (min didn't happen until late '95 and '96), and the QBO is a good match. I do have reservations about that analog still being in the tail end of the Pinatubo +AO regime...so that may limit it's use. But it's not like it was only a year later.

1963-1964 is a pretty solid analog on all 3 of solar, ENSO, and QBO. But we'll see how well that holds up as we head through the next 2 months.

3 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah based on ENSO and solar, it's hard not to be optimistic....though '94-'95 is still lurking. It wasn't a solar min but getting close (min didn't happen until late '95 and '96), and the QBO is a good match. I do have reservations about that analog still being in the tail end of the Pinatubo +AO regime...so that may limit it's use. But it's not like it was only a year later.

1963-1964 is a pretty solid analog on all 3 of solar, ENSO, and QBO. But we'll see how well that holds up as we head through the next 2 months.

94-95 was low-end moderate, though...I think modoki was similar to 06-07.

8 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I will say....the weak nino-solar min comp is not only cold, but wet along the east coast...especially north.

If you look at 2014-15, one epic month made an all timer.  So wire to wire is great but give us a good stretch with the lead in factors and we should do pretty well.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Exactly!   Wonder if 1976-77 stands up...

The solar stuff is just another piece, though...68-69 was also near a solar max....wonder if maybe climo can overwhelm the solar signal at its peak. 2015 and 1969 had one insane month stretch, and not much on either end.

Just now, SnoSki14 said:

Thoughts on the abnormally warm October to come, I've heard that it looks more like a La Nina pattern than a Nino.

Is this due to the relatively weak state of the Nino? 

I think it’s totally unrelated to upcoming ENSO.  It could be a hangover from the summer but mid month October looks to flip cooler.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, weathafella said:

I think it’s totally unrelated to upcoming ENSO.  It could be a hangover from the summer but mid month October looks to flip cooler.

I like a dramatic flip in time for Halloween and then a steady descent from there. Seems like the pieces are there if they’ll only come together. 

• Like 1