SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February 17-18 Threat Discussion

The Iceman

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

3k nam is a paste bomb as well. Six hours of straight pillows falling from the sky in se pa. Mt Holly's updated disco says 3 to 5 for se pa with isolated spots of 6 and that they are keeping the watch up through tomorrow morning. If the nam and euro hold serve or improve further at 00z it's got to be tempting to pull the trigger on winter storm warnings for the immidiate burbs.

2 hours ago, tamarack said:

Be careful what you wish for.  Many years back, when I lived in NNJ, we had a storm on the overnight of March 21-22; NYC recorded 4.9".  I was babysitting 4 kids and their parents got back about 1:30 AM (I'd been fully forewarned) at which time I drove home thru SN+ with 1-2" new.  I slept until after 10 the next morning (it was Saturday), and by the time I got up it was sunny and near 50, and only patches remained.  That storm held the NYC record for the date (until topped a few years later) and it disappointed this future weenie that I didn't get to see the snowy scene in daylight.

I'm not worried at all about how long the snow pack lasts. It'll be in the mid-upper 60s tuesday so I'm hoping to hit some golf balls in my yard without them turning to mudballs.

26 minutes ago, RedSky said:

GFS finally catching on showing some 3.5-4" 

IMO, I wouldn't be surprised to see this jump slightly further north and more amped like much of our SWFE storms this year. I like the NWS forecast right now for widespread 2-4" but 5 or 6 isn't completely out of the equation in localized areas.

With the 18z suite WXSIM has increased the event to 2 to 4 inches total here in NW Chester County PA

Saturday: Partly to mostly sunny in the morning, becoming cloudy in the
 afternoon. A chance of a mix of snow and rain in the afternoon. High 42. Wind
 east around 3 mph in the morning, becoming south-southeast in the afternoon.
 Chance of precipitation 40 percent. Precipitation (liquid equivalent) mostly
 less than a tenth of an inch. Snow accumulation about half an inch.

Saturday night: Dense overcast in the evening, becoming mostly cloudy to cloudy
 after midnight. Light to moderate fog after midnight. Snow likely in the
 evening, then a chance of snow after midnight. Low 26. Wind south around 2 mph
 in the evening, becoming west-southwest after midnight. Chance of precipitation
 70 percent. Precipitation (liquid equivalent) mostly around half an inch. Snow
 accumulation 2 to 3 inches.

I'll issue a final call tomorrow morning as I doubt I'll make it all night for the 00z suite...need my rest for tomorrow night :lol:

Going to make it easier and more general.

Shore areas - coating-2"

Eastern half of nj 2-4"

Western half of nj to upper bucks/montco/del/eastern half of chester counties - 4-6" lollipops of 8"

Lehigh valley and Poconos 2-4"

Overall not much has changed for me. I feel there will be an area that reaches winter storm warning criteria and due to the heavy and quick nature it will feel like one for many areas. 00z could effect these numbers especially if we see another n tick. Looking good for at minimum a solid wwa event for everyone. In between two periods of hitting 60F, as RW says "we take". Enjoy this one as if its the last snow of the year  and hope it's not the last one. 

21z sref increased snow in SE PA and sunk further south with solid totals as well. se pa is solidly in the 3-6" zone. Very good shift. I won't be surprised if we see precip inch up a bit up to the event as the models catch on to the jet streaks influence on the moisture transport. We are in a great spot 24 hours out. Unless you are on the shore you can say with a fairly high degree of confidence now that you will see accumulating snow of at least an inch. 

Still thinking the NAM is overdone as a whole BUT is correct in the banding signatures. My thinking is a general 2-4" event for SE PA as the rule with a couple isolated 4-6" spots under heavier bands which will be the exception. I do think 6" may be a stretch given the crud ratios but wont rule it out completely. The lower qpf on a few of the globals concerns me but the mesos as usual likely have a good handle in signaling that there will be heavier bands embedded yielding some slightly higher isolated totals which I noted.

Took a closer look at the 3k NAM hoping with its resolution I could pinpoint what the rgem and gfs are picking up on with the rain/mix getting into SE PA during some of the prime event time and lo and behold there is some warm air working its way in around 850 which on the NAM even works into extreme SE PA now. Might be one of those deals for extreme SE PA say S and E of central Bucks where if you under subsidence with lighter rates you mix at times and under the heavy bands you are all snow. It would figure, as soon as I pull the trigger with the qpf looking decent now there is a warm tongue nearby lol. RedSky you should be ok up your way.....Im on the fence just a few miles S and E of KDYL.

Archived