SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February 17-18 Threat Discussion

The Iceman

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

3k nam is even colder and shows heavy rates for a solid 6 hours... Very encouraging start. Gfs has changed every 6 hours so I don't really have much stock in it. Cmc/euro/uk/rgem are what I'm looking towards to see if they also come in colder. The fact the 3k is the coldest is a great sign imo that model does great with temps and has done really well in the snow to rain events of late.

Hence the large grain of salt. Getting nam'd a day or 2 out is an old tradition that hasn't happened for a while, so it's a fun thing - kind of like an encouragement. How's the leg/foot?
Hey I go back Monday actually thanks for asking. It hasn't snowed since I had this surgery 6 weeks ago lol

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

00z nam even colder than 18z. Secs for all. Nam is very very rarely the coldest model. Red flag the others may be too warm imo
Others arent too warm, they are just dry....very dry. That is our biggest issue, not necessarily temps. Coming in colder is great but if the precip craps out we are looking at another nickel and dime type event.

1 minute ago, Ralph Wiggum said:
6 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:
Fox29 @ 10 a tad conservative....
fx.jpg.1c22debc668f8e62d575d186e6e4dc7e.jpg

Seems very reasonable to me....probably because it is in line with my thoughts lol. ICON cut totals in half AGAIN (1-3") as did the GFS (c-2"). The trends are real.

Puts you and I in the 2-4" so I'm cool with that...

^ GFS all the way with them

That model has been a buzz kill all winter long and continues at 0z

Cant go against seasonal trends. GFS is the new king and probably had the right idea all along with the more progressive look and storm can never get its act together until too late for the area. Wont crown it the new king just yet but rgem is drier and the srefs are remarkably dry considering they are in the nam family. NAM is a major outlier unfortunately.

I havent mentioned it today due to fear of being burned at the stake but the CRAS never wavered and the usually most amped model continues to show the most progressive solution. A coating is pushing it verbatim on the CRAS as precip is sheared and stays S and E of the m/d line for the most part and what does fall in SE PA is showery type white rain. That right there is your massive red flag.

Otoh, the NAM almost always goes nuts with these types of systems and throws out ridiculous qpf amounts. It does have some support from the euro but that model hasnt exactly performed too well this year and has slowwwwly been backing down totals ever since yesterday.

The amount of spread among guidance right now with such little lead time is remarkable tbh. Even among individual ens members the amount of big ticket hits vs literally complete misses is something I dont recall seeing in quite a long time. I said this since Wednesday and will say again now with even greater affirmation that the bust potential on either side for this one is huge.

Archived