Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Bonafide SWFE 2/7-8

weathafella

6 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Looks pretty good. There will def be a little less in SE NH...midlevels warm there quickly. But it's gonna remain below freezing at the surface. 

It's like there was two different things going on in today's discussion.  Some were correlating the low track with more snowfall while some where merely looking at it from a SFC temp standpoint.  

I think that's where a lot of the confusion is from.  The discussion was purely from a surface temp standpoint.  The surface low won't do anything to the mid level warmth.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Looks pretty good. There will def be a little less in SE NH...midlevels warm there quickly. But it's gonna remain below freezing at the surface. 

My opinion (and I realize it's the minority one in a Board like this) is that both CEF and ORH go over to rain for a couple hours or so.

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

It's like there was two different things going on in today's discussion.  Some were correlating the low track with more snowfall while some where merely looking at it from a SFC temp standpoint.  

I think that's where a lot of the confusion is from.  The discussion was purely from a surface temp standpoint.  The surface low won't do anything to the mid level warmth.

Correct. Midlevels have always been in question. That's why we're not getting 8" of snow along the pike. Prob 3-5ish instead. 

But changing to a 38F driving rainstorm and staying ZR is a huge sensible wx difference and that's why we're are obsessing over the sfc low track. 

3 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Really dont see 6" anywhere in SNE. Even by Ash.

Beleive me im Happy its snowing, snow is xtra$

12 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Really dont see 6" anywhere in SNE. Even by Ash.

Beleive me im Happy its snowing, snow is xtra$

See I think you're going to see a fairly sharp gradient somewhere there and climb tends to make me believe it'll be near RT 2.  Like Hubb Daves area back towards Hippy.  A zone where it goes from a bunch of 4/5 inch amounts near and north of the Pike to 8/9/10 inch amounts over a relatively short distance up near the MA/NH border.

3 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

See I think you're going to see a fairly sharp gradient somewhere there and climb tends to make me believe it'll be near RT 2.  Like Hubb Daves area back towards Hippy.  A zone where it goes from a bunch of 4/5 inch amounts near and north of the Pike to 8/9/10 inch amounts over a relatively short distance up near the MA/NH border.

You’re going to see 1-3” amounts .. mostly 2” from SW CT to TAN.. with even CC getting an inch. HFD - IJD 3”.. 4” here  and then NW of HFD 5”+. Then an hour of sleet and 3-6 hours of zr. I’m seeing circles talking tons of sleet . This isn’t a big sleet setup. It’s a pretty rapid transition once it takes place 

3 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

You’re going to see 1-3” amounts .. mostly 2” from SW CT to TAN.. with even CC getting an inch. HFD - IJD 3”.. 4” here  and then NW of HFD 5”+. Then an hour of sleet and 3-6 hours of zr. I’m seeing circles talking tons of sleet . This isn’t a big sleet setup. It’s a pretty rapid transition once it takes place 

I agree actually that the sleet is short lived in SNE. The warm layer is pretty low. Not classic 750-800 with a frigid 900-950 layer. This is gonna go to ZR fairly quickly. 

6 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Yeah I don't disagree with any of that.  

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I agree actually that the sleet is short lived in SNE. The warm layer is pretty low. Not classic 750-800 with a frigid 900-950 layer. This is gonna go to ZR fairly quickly. 

I was wondering if the transition to ZR and models showing a large area of ZR causes many to warm up a bit more than they normally would in this case.  Could see a large area of 31-32F from latent heat release when a sleet storm would've stayed in the upper 20s?

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

I was wondering if the transition to ZR and models showing a large area of ZR causes many to warm up a bit more than they normally would in this case.  Could see a large area of 31-32F from latent heat release when a sleet storm would've stayed in the upper 20s?

Yeah that's possible. The latent heat from ZR will try and warm the sfc once it gets going. Could be lots of rotting 31-32 temps by evening...though if we get a mesolow to form then it could resupply the 20s dews. 

Looks like the 00z Nam is running this up through the Poconos, Catskills lol, Inclined to be a bit cautious with the snowfall but hold the line on Zr here, I've seen to many times when we rotted just below freezing around here.  Probably 2-3 Springfield/Enfield with a decent glaze.  Perhaps Kevin is 3-3.5 with some glaze but hits 33-34 for a couple of hours.  

Archived