Newest Member
    joxey
Early February Hyperactivity

Stebo

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, mimillman said:

Truly night and day between Detroit and Chicago for this winter.

It truly is. My brother lives in Chicago right near Lakeshore drive so he's on the water. My family have a group text and he always is saying he can't believe how much more snow we have been getting. That said Chicago will definitely be the winner today. Enjoy the snow!

3 hours ago, Chicago WX said:

Looks like anywhere from about 0.15-0.30” of QPF here, so 2-4” sounds about right when poo pooing ratios. Sorry, got to believe it when I see it, lol. West zones in the LOT CWA favored for the highest amounts, but the 6z NAMs indicate a second jack in Southwest parts, and getting into Ford and Iroquois. Anyways, snow on top of snow always appreciated. And oh, sitting at -11 right now. That’s overachieving, haha

We're both pretty much in the same boat with this one, though I think 3-5" is attainable as long as ratios cooperate.

IKK had one of the colder temps in the LOT cwa (even beat Aurora).  One radiating son of a gun.

3 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

We're both pretty much in the same boat with this one, though I think 3-5" is attainable as long as ratios cooperate.

IKK had one of the colder temps in the LOT cwa (even beat Aurora).  One radiating son of a gun.

My pws recorded -12 around 6:45am. (I live in the country) I’ve noticed my area to the IKK area is capable of very efficient radiational cooling, especially this winter for some reason it seems

Nice to see the Des Moines area FINALLY cash in with a decent event.  Still looking like a nice 3-4" type of event for this area, with perhaps a bit more for the QC.  Hawk/Linn may make a solid run at a warning criteria event.  Been a fun little event to track, and love the fact that it's a daytime event.

That mid-week event is going to be another interior/NE special, lol. Give me a break!! Don't really expect much if anything with that mid-week event here locally. Would need an earlier phase but that seems unlikely given the HP location and timing. Extreme SE Ohio may get a couple inches depending on thermals. 

The early weekend event, should it come to fruition, wouldn't be a big storm by any means. The upper air pattern would argue against that and for any rapid amplification. It might be another overrunning event or a clipper. 

Mid-month already approaching and we have yet to see a widespread event. 

Top down sat about completed here.  Should have first flakes within the next 30 mins or so.  Lots of low vis reports coming out of Iowa, which is encouraging.  Some nice banding showing up out in central Iowa, with at least one 1/8 mile vis report.  Sharp cutoff to the precip in southern Iowa, as Osceola and Chariton are sitting at 10 mile vis.

15 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Top down sat about completed here.  Should have first flakes within the next 30 mins or so.  Lots of low vis reports coming out of Iowa, which is encouraging.  Some nice banding showing up out in central Iowa, with at least one 1/8 mile vis report.  Sharp cutoff to the precip in southern Iowa, as Osceola and Chariton are sitting at 10 mile vis.

its all pixie dust...

Just now, NWLinnCountyIA said:

Flake size is slowly, slowly upgrading. Still only one or two steps above pixie dust... I've got 1.2" since the snow started. Although, It's absolutely dumping small flakes here, visibility is 1/4-1/8th of a mile. Heck this may even be 1"/hr despite the mediocre flakes.

The flakes are very dry, and I noticed the early/larger flakes shattered instantly on impact.  As soon as the precip intensity increased the flake size quickly became smaller.  Wondering if the flakes are so dry that when you get the heavier intensities they bump into each other and shatter.  

6 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

The flakes are very dry, and I noticed the early/larger flakes shattered instantly on impact.  As soon as the precip intensity increased the flake size quickly became smaller.  Wondering if the flakes are so dry that when you get the heavier intensities they bump into each other and shatter.  

I was thinking it maybe had something to do with the relatively deep dry air layer on the soundings, although I would've thought that would have saturated out by now. But our flake size has markedly improved over the past 15 minutes, moderate flake size and heavy rates. Visibility is near 1/8th of a mile.

Archived